Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thomas Ackley Introduction

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thomasackley

thomasackley

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:51 PM

Hello,

Here are the things I thought I should tell you about myself on this forum - I am a retired EE (electrical engineer) who has owned a PC since before the IBM PC was available for less than $2000.00.

I have used Microsoft OS PCs since Windows 3.1. I remember having 3.1, 95, Millenium, XP, Vista, 7, 8.1 & 10.

I currently have PCs with:

Windows XP dual booted with Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (on an old Intel dual core processor based desktop I built about 10 or more years ago).

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (a Dell laptop with Intel I7 dual core processor)

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit and Windows 10 (dual booted on a new Dell XPS-8700 I7 quad core based desktop).

I prefer the old "Box" type desktop PC's as they are roomy and can be expanded a lot and they have multiple fans so you can run a more powerful processor clocked at higher speed than you can get in a laptop.

I got Windows 10 after being an active "Windows Insider" for a year when they were offering it for free. I waited until the last moment to get it and only got it because I thought it was slightly better than the Windows 8.1 that the PC came with. I don't use Windows 10 much.

When I was an "Insider" a few of my suggestions were followed most were not (most of my suggestions dealt with keeping 10 as much like Windows 7 as possible and  preventing making it, too obviously, designed for touch screens and tablets).

I currently boot into Windows 10 to let it update itself, or to help my wife, whose PC has Windows 10, figure out how to do things. I have the "Windows Shell" program installed on my Windows 10 install to make it look and feel more like Windows 7 thus making it a bit easier to figure out my wifes problems.

My main hobbies are:

1) I am an avid TV and Movie fan. I have 2 dual TV tuner and capture cards in my desktop which also has its native 1TB drive and 2 additional 3TB internal drives as well as 5 external multi-TB USB drives continuously connected and 2 4TB USB 3.0 drives I keep disconnected and use for archival purposes.

I can capture all 3 major networks simultaneously with one channel left over for cable stuff if I want or, as I usually do, use 2 channels connected to a digital TV antenna and 2 channels connected to the analog cable service they have here in good ole Bristol, TN.

I use so much storage mainly because I have my main desktop PC set-up as a PVR (Translate that as DVR but better control and more storage area). I keep every episode of every show that I like (and movies) and archive them when the show ends (either comes to it's conclusion or is canceled).

2) I am a 60 "something" year old guy with a 20 "something" year old son. As I want to hang around for a while in a "semi-spry" (registered trademark tomco) condition, I'm pretty big into fitness nut (healthy diet and exercise) and have been since before my son was born, when I was a callow 40 "something" youth..

3) To try to keep the old mind working I do my daily puzzles...the big 3 - Jumbles, Sudoku and Crossword. I'm not "Sunday New York Times" crossword caliber so, on Sunday, the wife and I work the USA today Crossword and Jumbles and the Bristol Herald Courier's Sudoku. We each do our own copies of the puizzles (she reads the paper so she does the puzzles in the paper and I print the puzzles out of the electronic copy of the Courier that comes with her subscription) then compare results. Believe it or not, in spite of my being an engineer with all the math skills that implies, she is better at solving the Sudoku puzzles than I.

4) We love pets, we have 2 dogs and 3 cats. One of the cats is a foundling who was a little starving kitten who followed me home when I was walking the dogs. We fed him and he never left so we opened the house to him and he's now a house cat.

I do social media very intermittently. Facebook and Twitter (mainly, I follow Stephen Colbert on Twitter and tweet to him when something I deem worthy of tweeting about his show occurs). My wife and yes, sometimes my son help me navigate Facebook on my infrequent forays when I, inevitably, get stuck trying to do something.

5 ish) I'm pretty big on philosophy (as I'm not a church goer) and Ireally believe in accurate communication. My current pet peeve is the disappearance of the word "me" being, against the rules of standard english, replaced by "I" on tv shows. I believe it is a ploy by evil corporations to make conversations appear less personal and thus "divide and conquer" the populace so they can further dominate us.

I hope that's a sufficient introduction to what might be useful or interesting to know for, what I believe, the membership of this forum may want to know.

Tom Ackley

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:15 PM

Welcome to BC !

And that's more info than we normally ever learn about any member !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users