Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Office cannot open the file

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gabb99

gabb99

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:39 PM

Hey guys, hoping someone smarter than me can help out here.

Here is an issue i'm having: 

Open a blank doc in Word 2010 and i'm always getting the below error message, Doc cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents.

Office 2013 preview and Office 2016 are getting same error.

I am running Windows 10

Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:28 PM

My initial feeling is that you have a corrupt Normal.dotm file.  You could give the following a try:

Close Word.  Search for normal.dot or normal.dotm and rename those you find that are in the folders owned by the user experiencing the problems.  You may need to go to File Folder Options and enable the “Show hidden files, folders, and drives” since Normal.dot (2007) and Normal.dotm (2010 & later) are in folders normally hidden.  If you have to do this be sure to go back at the end of the process and disable this setting or the user will be seeing all sorts of files that they don’t normally see and that will confuse them, as this setting is disabled by default.

Open Word directly from the start menu or a desktop shortcut,  not by opening an existing document.  Word should automatically create a new normal template.  In Word:

1. In Word 2007, click the Microsoft Office Button, and then click Word Options.
    In Word 2010, click the File tab, and then click Options.
  2. Click Advanced.
  3. Under Save, make sure the Prompt before saving Normal template check box has a check in it.
  4. Click OK to close the Word Options dialog box.
  1. In Word 2007, click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Access Options.

In Word 2010, click the File tab, and then select Options.

1. Click Trust Center, click Trust Center Settings, and then click Macro Settings.
  2. Click the options that you want:
    • Disable all macros with notification   This is the default setting. Click this option if you want macros to be disabled, but you want to get security alerts if there are macros present. This way, you can choose when to enable those macros on a case by case basis.
  3. Click OK to exit the dialog. 

Close Word.  If it asks you to save the normal template say Yes this time.  In the future say No, unless you have made a change to the default - like font, font size or paper layout or similar.

Try creating a new blank document.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:07 PM

Another option I have seen work is to download LibreOffice or OpenOffice and open the file with their MS Word replacement application.

#4 daledale0

daledale0

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:59 PM

Hello.

You can normally open the file with a few free Office clones. There are bunch of different ways.
Also you can Google Docs or try to upload the file to the service and re-open it.( https://onlinefile.repair/en/word.html )

#5 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:02 PM

The first method about renaming Normal.dotm is probably the best.  Something like that need affected my older installation of Microsoft Works, during which trouble none of my word processing documents would open - Works would get stuck and never open.  Only write.exe would open; if I wanted to see a word process document file, I had to open write and use this to open the file.  The trick to bring everything healthy again was to rename Normal.dot and then open MS Works.

Another option I have seen work is to download LibreOffice or OpenOffice and open the file with their MS Word replacement application.

Nice unless the person does not like either or both of those.  Apache Open Office is a good or better one, in my opinion, although I have only been using or test-using the spreadsheet program part of the the package.

Hello.

You can normally open the file with a few free Office clones. There are bunch of different ways.
Also you can Google Docs or try to upload the file to the service and re-open it.( https://onlinefile.repair/en/word.html )

The address quoted only brings up:  

Server Error

404 - File or directory not found. The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:14 PM

The reason I gave the advice I did is because gabb99 said, "Open a blank doc in Word 2010 and i'm always getting the below error message, Doc cannot be opened because there are problems with the contents."

That does not suggest to me that an existing document is being opened (who keeps a collection of blank documents), you just let Word open and/or use the New->Blank Document method if you've already got something else open or have just closed an existing document, but want to create a new blank one without closing Word.

There is no mention of issues with opening existing documents.

The fact that the same behavior is being exhibited in other versions of Word (which I presume are installed on the same machine) really strongly suggests template corruption.

Opening blank documents with an alternative Word processor is not a solution to the problem presented.

Edited by britechguy, 29 June 2017 - 10:15 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:53 PM

I misread the OP's original post.

#8 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:26 AM

I misread the OP's original post.

Maybe you did.  Still, your advice is a useful option.  Before I became aware of "Normal.dot", I tried looking for an alternative word processing program which would let me open, edit, and save my files.  I found and briefly relied on Jarte.  Finally, I was informed about Normal.dot, and so renamed it, and opened MS Works and a blank new word processing document; and then MS Works was back in good shape.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users