Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender on Win8.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:37 PM

In light of the current ransomware attacks is Windows Defender (updated daily and set as active) enough?

Daily scans with AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes Free on this Win8.1 unit but Pro Version on my other Win7.1 unit have not found anything for years.

The question is basically, is it time to ditch Defender, or is it OK when updated daily or almost daily.

I have read the basic "I Prefer" answers from other people, but is either Defender or others greatly recommended.

Thanks for general advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:27 PM

Windows Defender and most anti-virus solutions do not provide sufficient protection against ransomware.

The best defensive strategy to protect yourself from malware and ransomware (crypto malware) infections is a comprehensive approach to include prevention and your best defense is back up, back up, and more back up on a regular basis. Preferably keeping a separate, offline backup to a device that is not always connected to the network.For more suggestions to protect yourself from ransomware infections, see my comments (Post #2) in this topic...Ransomware Avoidance...it includes a list of prevention tools.

Crypto malware and other forms of ransomware are typically spread through some type of "user interaction"...opening a malicious email attachment, executing a malcious file, via web exploits, exploit kits, malvertising campaigns and drive-by downloads when visiting compromised web sites. RDP bruteforce attacks against servers are also an increasing common malware vector especially by those involved with the development and spread of ransomware.

Just like with anti-virus programs...there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-ransomware solution to supplement your existing security protection.

Security is all about layers and not depending on any one solution, technology or approach to protect yourself from cyber-criminals. The most important layer is you...the first and last line of defense and security is a constant effort to stay one step ahead of the bad guys.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Jaycan

Jaycan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:31 PM

Thank you quietman7

It looks like I have a few changes to make, even though this is a personal computer with very little to protect I will make a backup after I finish here.

Then I will try and follow "most" of your advice.  :hello:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:19 PM

You're welcome and good luck.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016