Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HomeGroup Heartaches !!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 chrisgr

chrisgr

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

I know from a number of support bulletin boards that a great many Windows 10 users have been really struggling to enable HomeGroup functionality, between two or more computers, sharing a private network. Although it was possible to set up a HomeGroup on the "server" side, any "clients" were being told that there were no HomeGroups to join on the network.

There have been countless suggestions, regarding deleting the local HomeGroup files & ensuring that certain critical services were running & set to "Automatic", but all to no avail. I have even posted requests on the main Microsoft technical support forums, but nobody has been able to come up with a working solution.

HOWEVER, surprise surprise !! Following the installation of this week's Windows 10 cumulative update, I have suddenly been able to join the "server" Homegroup, and the shared folders from this unit have finally become visible on the "client" side.

My excitement has unfortunately been somewhat short-lived though, as although I can now see the folders in the joined HomeGroup, it is still impossible to actually open them and access the files contained within. I get the old dreaded message about not being able to access a network computer, which has been doing the rounds for years.

BUT, with a bit of trial & error, I now find that everything works like a dream, if I disable the Windows Firewall on the "server" side. Now, clearly this is extremely undesirable, particularly in the current security climate, so could some clever soul out there please offer me some straightforward advice & guidance about how to open up the Firewall to other units within the Homegroup, without allowing North Korean hackers to access my family photograph albums, etc, etc ?!?

I have had a look "under the hood" of the Firewall settings, and it all looks rather "daunting", so a point in the right direction would be enormously appreciated, given that Microsoft have decided (as usual), to only fix part of the problem.

Many Thanks,

chrisgr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:33 PM

Duplicate thread.

Original thread here...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/650338/homegroup-heartaches/

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:52 PM

Member jwoods301 is correct.  This thread is being locked as the question is duplicated in this very forum.

Edited by britechguy, 28 June 2017 - 11:26 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users