Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows crashes and not responding

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 shakabooooooooo

shakabooooooooo

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:50 PM

I went on a vacation for two weeks. Prior to that, I shut down my computer so I would save energy. Everything was working fine, but when I returned from my vacation, my computer was lagging and crashing all the time. Restarted several times, and it hasn't done anything. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:36 AM

Please run this report collecting tool so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.
NOTE:  On problem systems it can take up to 20 minutes for the log files to complete.  Please be patient and let it run.

If you still have problems with it running, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR, .7z or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

************************************************************************************************************

Regretfully, I can no longer afford to spend time analyzing systems with Windows 7 and earlier OS's.

My suggestions for them are:

1)  Perform a "clean" install of Windows to see if that stops the BSOD's:  http://www.carrona.org/canned.html#clean

2)  If that doesn't stop the BSOD's, then first try these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html 
If all of the hardware diagnostics pass, try this procedure (designed for desktops, not real easy for laptops):  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 shakabooooooooo

shakabooooooooo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:32 AM

Sorry, I forgot to clarify that I am not having blue screens. The problem is that my applications don't respond, so I have to spam the exit button and restart the application. Should I still run the report?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps - if uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 shakabooooooooo

shakabooooooooo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:10 PM

Attached File  admin.zip   1.46MB   4 downloadsAttached File  perfmon.zip   158.17KB   2 downloadsAttached File  SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip   2.29MB   3 downloads

#6 shakabooooooooo

shakabooooooooo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:17 PM

The temperature program is called instspeedfan452.exe right? A Windows 10 message mentioning SmartScreen said that it might put my PC at risk.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:17 PM

The installation program is instspeedfan452.exe
I've been using this program since the days of Windows XP

It's popular and well-known - I have to wonder why SmartScreen is giving you that message.
Did you download it from the http://www.amilco.com website?  If you did, it should be safe.

If you choose to bypass the SmartScreen, there's a link that says something about "More info" - and that will lead you to a window that will let you run it.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 05:29 PM

The Admin logfile shows many, many errors - but doesn't point to anything in particular as the cause.

Often these are symptomatic of hardware problems, so I would suggest starting with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Is there any particular reason that your system remains at build 10240 - the original release version of Windows 10 (aka 1507)?

You are missing the Fall Update (build 10586, aka 1511), the Anniversary Update (build 14393, aka 1607) and the Creator's Update (build 15063, aka 1703)

I strongly suggest that you ensure that you get ALL of the updates in order to ensure that all hotfixes are fully installed on your system.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version ESKT20A) dates from 2012.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and that outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

I haven't analyzed a system with the original RTM version of W10 (build 10240) in a long time.  As such, I'm unfamiliar with the number of updates that it usually has.

Your system has only 11 Windows Update hotfixes installed.  I would imagine that most build 10240 (original release) systems have many more than this.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available Windows Updates.

You only have 1,846 MB of available Physical Memory (RAM).
Please get more memory if the system is able to handle it.
While waiting to upgrade the memory, please:
- only use one program at a time
- go through your startup items and stop those that aren't essential from loading with Windows

The WER section of the MSINFO32 report shows approximately 90 BSOD's, yet no memory dumps were uploaded with the reports.
Have you deleted the memory dumps from C:\Windows\Minidump (or maybe by using a disk cleaner such as CCleaner)?

Between October 2016 and April 2017 you had 9 BSOD"s

All were STOP 0xFC errors and all blamed your nVidia video drivers

Have you updated your nVidia video drivers since then?

You also have numerous LockApp.exe errors.  Have you attempted to tweak the Lock screen?

Or are you using programs that interact with the Lock screen?

#9 shakabooooooooo

shakabooooooooo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 01:43 PM

Well the amount of errors is overwhelming... I'm not a teen yet, so I am not familiar with many of these terms. If I am using any terms incorrectly, please tell me, so I can understand my PC better.

It seems like I forgot to check for updates. I will update all the Windows 10 and BIOS updates after this post.

I'll try to get more RAM, but I have some questions. How much more RAM should I get, and what would cause my PC to not be able to handle the RAM?

Yes, I have been deleting the memory dumps.

I had 9 blue screens during that period? I think I had a few blue screens before that, but I don't recollect any blue screens during that period. I have updated my nvidia drivers. I guess I'll do it again after this post.

I have not tweaked with the lock screen, and I am not using programs that interact with it, but I am noticing that there are weird problems with it. For example, when I wake my computer up from sleeping mode, it is already in the password page, and then after 10 seconds or so of lagging, it goes back to the initial page.

Thanks for the analysis, I really appreciate it!

Edited by shakabooooooooo, 02 July 2017 - 01:45 PM.

#10 shakabooooooooo

shakabooooooooo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 04:41 PM

Update:

When I searched my manufacturer's website (Lenovo), it said that no BIOS updates were required for my PC (Lenovo H520s). Click here for more information.

Initially, I tried to update to a newer version by Settings>Update and security>Check for updates. There was a list of updates, however none of them were meant to update to a newer version of Windows. I downloaded Windows 10 Upgrade Asisstant, and it said it couldn't install Windows version 15603 because there was a problem with my operating system. "Contact your system administrator to upgrade Windows Server or Enterprise editions."

The graphics drivers successfully updated.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:36 AM

Don't worry about the amount of errors - we'll just take them one-by-one

Age doesn't matter here, just a willingness to learn and get some experience.

This is the point of the online forums - an open area where people contribute to helping other people.

That's how I learned, and that's why I work here - to pay it "forward"

You only have 4gB of RAM - so I'd suggest at least doubling it to 8 gB for optimum performance.

But don't rush out to buy it right away (for several reasons):

- I didn't see anything wrong with the RAM.  All I saw was that a lot of it was being used.  There can be many reasons why a lot is being used.

- If the BIOS isn't fully compatible with W10, then you may want to consider getting a more up to date system.  If that's the case, then it's not worth spending money on a system that you're going to get rid of.

A BIOS that dates from 2012 might not be compatible w/Windows 10.  Unfortunately, the only sure way to tell is to wipe the system and install the original OS and see if it works without problems.

I had a system with a BIOS from 2008 that had Windows 8 on it.  I had all sorts of strange problems with it.  I even brought it to Microsoft during the MVP Summit - and had MVP's and Microsoft employees look at it.  Our conclusion was that, even though W8 ran on it, the problems that I was experiencing were due to an incompatibility with the BIOS.  When I reverted to Windows 7 all was well - and the system is still being used today.

Please don't delete the memory dumps, they are the primary source of information that we use (although the other reports are important too).

Once the system is working well, there's no problem with deleting them - but leave them be until the system is functioning properly for a decent amount of time.

Blue screens are a bit quirky - and you don't have to see them for them to have occurred.

There's many reasons for this, but it's too much detail for right now.  If you're interested, here's a draft paper on how Blue Screens are generated:  http://www.carrona.org/dumpgen.html

If you'd like, you can update to the latest version of W10 (the Creator's Update) by downloading an installer from the web to a flash drive.
Then, if it's compatible, you can install the Creators Update as a "clean" install (free of 3rd party programs).

But this will wipe out everything on the computer - so you may want to think about it for a while first (especially if you're getting another system due to the BIOS).

Continue to attempt to update Windows.  Your problems may stem from the reason the Upgrade Assistant won't work.

In short, we'll continue to work on these things until you choose to stop.

Please run the free hardware diagnostics that I suggested earlier (here's the link again:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html )

Please run ALL of the tests and let us know the results.

Also, when you're able, try running Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

#12 shakabooooooooo

shakabooooooooo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:09 AM

Will backing up my files work when updating to the latest version of windows? I'm considering using EaseUs Todo Backup Free.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:50 PM

Depending what you want to do, backups can be complicated or easy.

If you just want to save documents, etc, then just copying the Users folder will usually do the trick.

But if you want to save (for example) settings and customizations for your browser, then it gets a bit complicated.

For example, I use a no longer supported Firefox extension for storing my canned speeches.

In order to get it to work, I had to start using the PaleMoon browser.

Then, I have to copy certain files over to the new system to get the canned speeches to show up and work.

The files I need are in the C:\Users folder, but are buried deep in different locations - so looking for them, then copying/pasting them is a real pain.

Have a look over in our Backups forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/238/backup-imaging-and-disk-management-software/

Edited by usasma, 03 July 2017 - 12:51 PM.

#14 shakabooooooooo

shakabooooooooo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:36 PM

For some reason, I checked the update section in settings, and it showed an update to 1703. Will I lose my files if I update to it this way?

Edited by shakabooooooooo, 03 July 2017 - 09:03 PM.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:35 PM

No, you shouldn't lose anything.

BUT, I am always cautious with this and advise that you backup your stuff just in case.

The worst that I've seen is that some programs may be removed.  I've lost a couple that were fairly unknown, so Windows may not have recognized them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users