Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Met Police still running using Windows XP on 18,000 PCs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:18 AM

And just eight Met Police PCs have been upgraded to Windows 10

THE MET POLICE is still using Windows XP on 18,000 PCs, having upgraded just 1,000 to more secure operating systems since December 2016

Indeed, it would appear that the pace of change is slowing, with Metropolitan Police using Windows XP on 35,000 PCs in April 2015, 27,000 in August 2016, and 19,000 in December last year, according to Freedom of Information (FOI) Act requests. 

What's more, instead of upgrading to Windows 10, the Metropolitan Police is upgrading to the already out-of-date Windows 8, with just eight PCs apparently upgraded to the more secure Windows 10, which will enjoy extended support until October 2026. 

Article

It's my understanding Windows 10 end of life is Oct 2025

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 June 2017 - 03:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:30 PM

John,

I'm sure that certain government entities can make arrangements to have extended extended support, but more likely this is a typo that didn't get caught.

Right here is an article that should serve as a big, fat warning against what so many IT departments do:  Drag their heels, kicking and screaming, and not updating within a reasonable time period after "the next generation of OS" gets out of its "bleeding edge" stage.

I worked for a state agency between 2002 and 2008 and first the in-house IT department, and then even the contractor they went for [who was, by far, worse] were running the entire set of state agencies on Windows XP and were adamant that it would be at least three years (roughly) before they'd consider Windows 7.  A great many of the current ransomware attacks could be avoided either by upgrading the OS or, at the very least, consistently applying security patches as soon as possible after they are issued and yet, very often, neither of those two is done usually under the old trope of "we don't know if it will be a 'bad update.'"   Bad updates have been, in my experience, very few and far between.  If you want to be cautious about this then roll out the patches to a select subset of the machines you remotely manage, monitor them for a period of time, and then complete the roll out.  This isn't rocket science.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users