Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need A New Rpg! Any New Ones Coming Out?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:52 AM

When I am not working on working at my day job, working on BC at night, feeding/playing with my kids, and spending time with my wife :thumbsup: I like to play RPGs. Anyone know when a new is coming out? I have been playing Oblivion, but am finding it a bit boring. I like the MMORPGs but after a month I am bored as well.

Looking for a good single player RPG. Heck I dont even care if its shareware.

What can you suggest?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:16 PM

Gothic III should come out this month, with Dark Messiah and Neverwinter Nights 2 following next month
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:50 PM

If you want some good older RPG's I suggest Baldur's Gate or it's sequel Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. A good dungeon crawler would be Icewind Dale. These are older titles, but classics in the RPG genre.

3939.png

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:18 AM

If you want some good older RPG's I suggest Baldur's Gate or it's sequel Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn. A good dungeon crawler would be Icewind Dale.

Yeah they were great..played them already unfortunately :thumbsup:

Gothic III should come out this month, with Dark Messiah and Neverwinter Nights 2 following next month

Oooh...gothic iii. The first two were amazing. As for Dark Messiah I have tried the beta and totally unimpressed with the multiplayer aspects at least. Its basically team fortress with undead verse human.

NWN2 looks interesting though

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 01:47 PM

If Neverwinter Nights 2 is anything like the first one, it will be a very good game.

3939.png

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:58 AM

As for Dark Messiah I have tried the beta and totally unimpressed with the multiplayer aspects at least. Its basically team fortress with undead verse human.

With Drak Messiah I couldn't care less for the multiplayer. It is the singleplayer game I'm after. A first-person, highly interactive RPG, using the Source-engine to it fullest.

EDIT: For a quick look at the real Dark Messiah, you can watch the video.

Edited by Mr Alpha, 13 September 2006 - 03:03 AM.

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:33 AM

I must say, the Dark Messiah demo was pretty impressive.

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:52 AM

There's always Guild Wars. The first one was prophecies, which I loved. The second one was Factions, which was good to very good. There's another one coming out titled Guild Wars Nightfall. It's supposed to be awsome. They (the makers of the game) are planning on creating a new game at least every 6 months. the good thing is that you can create a character in the first Guild Wars (prophecies) and if/when you buy the next game (factions) you can bring your character from prophecies into factions, so you don't have to start all over, unless you want to, then you can create a new character. Each new release is supposed to have new professions that you can choose from to make your character. Neat thing is that you can choose a main profession and a secondary profession, so you can have a slew of options for creating your character.

You don't have to get the first one, you can start out with any one of them and go from there. It's a MMORPG, and the online play is absolutely free.

There's a lot more to just the mmorpg part to, like one on one battles, team battles, factions wars, guild wars etc. It's pretty addictive once you get into it IMHO.

:thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:19 AM

My problem with MMORPGs are that I just have so little time to devote to the games like I used to. Thats why I love single player games as I can just jump into them for an hour or so and not have to worry about being left behind by all the other players who paly more.

#10 LaChica

LaChica

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:09 PM

Rappelz (New)
It's from the makers for FlyFF and Space Cowboy. But it's only testers now.

FlyFF
This game is "cute." You can fly on a broom or hoverboards which I think is fun.

Trickster (Almost New)
This game is also "cute." You can be different characters. Very fun.

Fable: The Lost Chapters
Wow. Just an amazing game. I love it. The quests are fun. It's just I hate the walking so much.

Silk Road Online
Very fun game. I like the alchemy and the different monsters.

If you don't like any of those, look through here.
http://www.onrpg.com/boards/free-mmorpg/90...est-games-list/
Posted Image

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:22 PM

I actually reinstalled Guild Wars..it feels pretty repetitive (the reason i stopped playing originally i think)

#12 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 11:59 PM

I have heard of an interesting game, Roma Victor. I've never played it and the graphics aren't top notch, but it is something new.

3939.png

#13 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:13 AM

I actually reinstalled Guild Wars..it feels pretty repetitive (the reason i stopped playing originally i think)

I agree, it can be repetive. However, I think that might be solved by having them come out with a new version every few months that has the different worlds on it.

Have you tried the PvP (Player vs Player) or the guild wars part of it? If you're not in a guild, get in one that does a lot of GvG. It's like a team of PvP, and it's a nice change of pace. You can make a character to use just for the PvP part of it, so you start off with all the "good" spells, weapons and whatnot.

If you ever need help online, add me as a friend and I'll help you. I've got 3 lvl 20 characters (Monk, Warrior and a great Necro). I'm on there as Spec Ops Warrior (or Kung Fu Queen or Harmful Healing).

:thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#14 Andersson

Andersson

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:06 AM

If a clan based game with a huge world, full loot, open PvP, city building, FPS-style-combat, player made items and no levels sounds interesting to you I would recommend keeping your eyes open for DarkFall. It's not out yet but will go beta soon.

www.darkfallonline.com

#15 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:58 PM

No levels? How is it done...skills progress as you use them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users