Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Brand new Win 10 computer running slow

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 johnaubrey

johnaubrey

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:50 AM

I am setting up a brand new Win 10 computer following what I have learned on Bleeping Computer and Microsoft Support. I worked for about 20 hours on a long list of settings and program installations, and all went well until at a certain point both Windows and web browsing slowed down markedly. A recent restart with updates took 45 minutes.

Unfortunately I failed to keep detailed notes so I don't recall at which step the problem appeared, nor did I set restore points during the process. Now Task Manager Performance moving graph shows CPU hovers at about 60% when the computer is at rest, with nothing open other than Task Manager. If I clik on any icon, CPU instantly plateaus at 100%. Looking under Task Manager Processes, I see almost all processes stay at 0% CPU with brief jumps to no more than 5%. A few AVG processes hover at less than 5%. There are only two standouts: Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation hovers at about 17% and System Interrupts at about 15%.

By comparison, my old Windows 7 computer at rest with many programs open shows 0% to 5% CPU Usage.

A partial list of the setup steps I took includes:
Malwarebytes, AVG, Ccleaner, SuperAntiSpyware, Spybot, ADW Cleaner, Panda USB Vaccine, VLC Media Player, Firefox, Sumatra PDF, Secunia PSI, Wiz Mouse, Dropbox, setup an Admin account and a limited account for daily use and browsing, turned off autoplay, ran Windows update, Wifi hotspots off, show file extensions on, adjusted for best performance, turned off Win 10 Tips Tricks and Suggestions.

I have Googled problems with the two processes above, but the results look complicated. I would be very grateful for any help with this problem so that I don't have to re-install Win 10 and start all over.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,634 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:53 AM

I would consider doing a reset with the option to keep personal files but you would need to reinstall your programs. Enable System Restore. Then I would write down each step you took to customize. Create a restore point after a number of tweaks. 

But first, after a reset, I would create a complete disk image to an external drive using a program like Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper standard. Create the bootable media each offers. This way if you get into trouble you can restore the disk image and be back up in minutes with the clean install image. After successfully tweaking your OS then create another disk image.

Just a heads up. The more you tweak, the more your chances are of having problems you are currently experiencing.

#3 johnaubrey

johnaubrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:53 PM

JohnC_21:

Thanks for your help. Your suggestion is certainly how I should have set up my new computer, and if I must abandon the over 20 hours I have spent on this and start all over, I will definitely follow your instructions. However, if you or another member has an idea for how I could possibly track down and fix the specific problem it would be very helpful.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,634 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:10 PM

You can do a clean boot. Start enabling services and startup items until you get the slowdown. If you get the slowdown using a clean boot then I am afraid you are looking at a reset.

Other thing you may try is uninstall all the programs you installed after the clean install. You only need one AV.  Start by uninstalling all your Security Software first and see how the computer runs.

#5 johnaubrey

johnaubrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:11 PM

Great, I'll get right on that. Thanks.

#6 johnaubrey

johnaubrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:18 PM

I have followed your suggestions and, without resorting to re-setting Windows 10, have apparently reduced resting CPU usage from the 60% mentioned in my first post to about 12% (I say "apparently" because in the past, before I posted here, this has seemed to change significantly from time to time). However, Windows Audio Device Graph Isolation (audiodg.exe) still hovers at about 5% with the computer at rest and nothing open but Task Manager. Is there anything you can suggest to fix this specific issue?

Thanks

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,634 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:48 PM

See the below link. 5% is pretty good. I think it's just the nature of the beast for Windows 10.

https://www.howtogeek.com/273764/what-is-windows-audio-device-graph-isolation-and-why-is-it-running-on-my-pc/

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 01 July 2017 - 04:54 PM

If it jumps again, I would suggest you download and run Sysinternals' Process Explorer.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

See which process is using the most CPU and/or memory.

Double click on the process name and select the Threads tab to see which thread is using the most resources.

Also, enable the VirusTotal check in Process Explorer by clicking on Options > VirusTotal.com > Check VirusTotal.com

Use the built-in Windows Snipping Tool to grab screen shots.

Post the images on a site such as Dropbox, Imgur, etc. and paste the links to the images in the thread.

#9 johnaubrey

johnaubrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:18 AM

Jwoods301:

I followed all your instructions.

1) The only process in Sysinternals' Process Explorer that averages more than 1.5% is audiodg.exe.

2) I opened Sysinternals thread window for audiodg.exe.

3) I ran VirusTotal on the Sysinternals process explorer. Result was 4 pages long.

I have posted screenshots for all above on Dropbox at:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/csiobb0z6pd0u66/AADGmyp3Kh2qc-AcTuvYkCxNa?dl=0

Yesterday after restart the CPU settled down to about 12%. I left it on all night and it rose to an average of about 30%. After another restart it dropped back down to 12%. While writing this post it has been about 30%.

Thank you for your help.

#10 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

Nothing out of the ordinary.

However, you had 79 processes running.

You might review how many programs you have that automatically start (called auto run) on boot that don't really need to.

#11 johnaubrey

johnaubrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:17 PM

The results in my last post were with all of my former startup programs removed except Windows Defender and SuperAnti Spyware, and these two were disabled in Task Manager Startup,

Thanks.

#12 johnaubrey

johnaubrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:23 PM

Removing startups is part of how I got idling CPU usage reduced from the initial 60% down to the current 12%.

#13 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:36 PM

The 79 processes seem like a lot to me...

If it's working well for you, you're good to go.

Edited by jwoods301, 02 July 2017 - 06:36 PM.

#14 johnaubrey

johnaubrey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:14 PM

Thanks very much for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users