Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ONE particular Registry item understood as a false threat?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:43 AM

Does Windows have a single particular registry item which AdwCleaner and Emsisoft Emergency Kit will find as a threat which is actually an item which all Windows has; and that removal or quarantine is not necessary?  Can someone tell me what this is, so we or I would know to make the scanners NOT do anything to it upon "cleaning"?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:41 AM

All security scanning software are susceptible to glitches, bugs, database issues and false positive detection's from time to time which may remove critical system files. Such mishaps have been reported for years to include major anti-virus/security vendors such as Panda, avast, AVG, BitDefender, Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, McAfee and Symantec. In most cases when these issues occur, the anti-virus vendors and security tool developers take quick action to correct the problem and provide support to those users who have been affected.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 678 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:44 AM

Hi, cafejose!

AFAIK, neither AdwCleaner nor Emsisoft Emergency Kit remove any threats automatically, as users upon scanning are presented with options as to what to keep or clean, thereby allowing users to unselect whatever false positives are detected, before "cleaning".

Alternatively, you can report false positives in the respective tools' Support Forums, AdwCleaner by Malwarebytes, here: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/187-malwarebytes-adwcleaner/ and Emsisoft Emergency Kit, here: https://support.emsisoft.com/forum/55-emsisoft-emergency-kit/.

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 28 June 2017 - 09:12 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:58 AM

Post #2, and post #3,

The point is, the question is what IS the registry entry, to know BEFORE doing a scan, so that after doing a scan I will know to remove the check-mark about what registry item to NOT let the scanner do the cleaning.  

Does Windows NOT keep or use such a registry entry?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:31 PM

I do not know of a specific Windows related registry key which would falsely be the target of these tools.

AdwCleaner is designed to search for (generic and static detecton) and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, browser extensions, add-ons/plug-ins, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware as well as related services, registry entries (values, keys), files, folders and potentially unwanted extensions.

Emsisoft Emergency Kit will do essentially the same.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users