Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer randomly crashes while gaming

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gabrielh101

gabrielh101

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:23 PM

i recently build a gaming pc and lately ive been having a problem,where my computer just randomly crashes while playing games, sometimes it can go hours without crashing and other times not even a few minutes. i made sure all my drivers were up to date and the problem is still happening. idk what to do can one of you guys help me?

specs:https://pcpartpicker.com/user/gabrielh101/saved/8KWgsY

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,423 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 05:58 PM

Is there any pattern to the type of games you are playing when it crashes ?  Does your computer re-start straight away or do you have to wait a few minutes ?

The reason I ask is that since you built a 'gaming PC' it is reasonable to assume you play games which make high demands on the system. These demands generate heat which can lead to thermal shutdowns if your cooling system is inadequate. It would be worth your while to run a utility like 'Speedfan' to keep an eye on your system temps while gaming, especially while running intensive games. Speedfan is a free download from BC -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speedfan/

Chris Cosgrove

#3 gabrielh101

gabrielh101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:44 PM

Is there any pattern to the type of games you are playing when it crashes ?  Does your computer re-start straight away or do you have to wait a few minutes ?

The reason I ask is that since you built a 'gaming PC' it is reasonable to assume you play games which make high demands on the system. These demands generate heat which can lead to thermal shutdowns if your cooling system is inadequate. It would be worth your while to run a utility like 'Speedfan' to keep an eye on your system temps while gaming, especially while running intensive games. Speedfan is a free download from BC -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speedfan/

Chris Cosgrove

its not a heating issue i run msi afterburner while i play so i can view gpu and cpu temps both never go above 60*c, actually yesterday i left my computer idle at the desktopm so no real high demand was going on and it still crashed i have a feeling its the psu thats the problem but idk. also it seems to be complete random when it does crash sometimes, i can be on for hours without crash other times it cant last a hour and the computer just black screens and a buzzing sound comes from my speakers, i have to hold the power button to get it to shut off the computer 

update: just happened right now i was playing fallout 4 computer crashed and i kept clicking mouse 1 and computer restarted without me pressing the power button, checking event logs and errors every time my computer crashed it gives the same error code error 41 kernal-power so im guessing the psu is at fault here.

Edited by gabrielh101, 29 June 2017 - 12:24 AM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,423 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

I'm moving this topic to the 'Internal hardware' section where, possibly, it should have been all along. Let's see if anybody there has better ideas.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:26 PM

Crashes while gaming are often caused by:

Faulty GPU

Marginal PSU (causes Inadequate power from PSU to GPU/MB; brownouts cause lockups, etc...)

MB incapable of supplying sufficient regulated power to both CPU, and to GPU thru PCI-e slot

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#6 gabrielh101

gabrielh101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

hey i found the solution to the problem it was my anti virus AVG that was causing the problems i haven't had a crash since. idk how the anti virus was causing this problem but it just was

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,423 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:50 PM

Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for telling us what the solution was.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 30 June 2017 - 05:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users