Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linksys router 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz vs internet speed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zillah

zillah

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:33 PM

Dear Experts

I am on ADSL max speed provided by telcomm is 25 Mbps yes 25,,,,,you can increase speed by paying more,,,,this is the issue

I have my Linksys router ACS1900 V2 connected , this router has two bands 2.4 and 5 both are configured.

(distance test in the same room where router located) I did test when I connect only one device my iphone 6 or Samsung Galaxy S7 mobiles to 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz speed of 2.4 is 1/3 of 5. 2.4 Ghz showing speed 6 Mbps while 5 GHz showing 18 Mbps,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,why ?

I am pretty sure both mobiles have wireless of n standard or height right ? means they can handle average speed way more that ADSL speed which is 25 Mbps

(distance test in the same room where router located) I did the same test on my cousin house which he has cable internet speed up to 100 Mbps not ADSL technology , still 2.4Ghz is 1/3 of 5 Ghz,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,2.4 Ghz showing speed 30 Mbps while 5 GHz showing 80 Mbps

To my understanding average speed for 2.4 Ghz on wireless n standard should be height than 25 Mbps right ?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:47 PM

Rated speeds for 2.4 and 5 Ghz depending on router type -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11ac#Advertised

5 Ghz is faster than 2.4, but the range is not as great.

#3 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:54 PM

You might try downloading and running the free Wi-Fi Scanner tool from Lizard Systems...

https://lizardsystems.com/wi-fi-scanner/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users