Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I mount a fan on the side panel using gorilla mounting tape

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nathans23

Nathans23

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:19 AM

My side panel has holes for air flow but no screw holes so I can't screw in the fans so I wanted to know if it would be ok to use gorilla tape

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:01 AM

I can't see it causing any problems for you but a more elegant solution - assumng you are unwilling or unable to drill mounting screw holes in this panel - would be to use a strong adhesive, perhaps one of the types of two part resin glues. I am thinking here of something like Araldite, but brand names often don't translate from one country to another.

Before mounting the fan(s) permanently you should check that they are not going to foul anything else such as video cards and any other expansion cards fitted. The other thing to check for is to make sure that any fans you fit are blowing in the correct direction to match with the rest of the airflow through your case.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,196 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:27 AM

its your computer, you can do anything you want,

if it was me, i would drill my own holes to mount a fan, doesn't take a lot of time or effort to drill a computer case, its normally very thin

#4 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,250 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2017 - 11:28 AM

Should work fine.

I've done much the same with the side panel of a Compaq Presario SR1619UK tower PC from the early 2000s. It has a couple of small grilles, and one larger one which is big enough to mount an 80mm case fan to.....except in my case, the grille consists of a honeycomb of tiny holes which are just the right size for case screws (and, with one exception, in just the right places, too). 

I used a needle file to 'enlarge' one hole to enable the screw to line up properly, and used a small, 'penny'-type washer to avoid the screwhead pulling through. 'Twas then connected to the same mobo socket supplying power to the rear fan, via a two-way connector. Works perfectly.

As Chris says, do ensure the fan is turning in the right direction, and working with the general airflow (rather than against it), and that it won't foul anything inside, before finally fixing it into place permanently.

This kind of minor modification won't yield any massive drops in temps, but it will help to ensure they remain steady for longer. Ambient room temperatures play a big part in overall levels, don't forget.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 27 June 2017 - 11:34 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 3 TB  USB 3.0 external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external storage, HP HD2300 webcam.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,137 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:05 PM

A slightly ugly but effective solution is to use cable ties (zip ties I think in the US).  Works a treat.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

I use some brand of superglue...never had a problem with the fans.

Louis

#7 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:02 AM

If it's an exhaust fan it'll probably be okay but if you use it to push air into the case, mount a filter too, save from dusty cleanups later.

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,566 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:18 PM

@mjd420Nova: I'll second that; my main case fan screen must be cleaned 1X every 2 weeks, or it gets thick with dust. And...my computer is on the desk, not on the floor.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users