Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Are memory cleaners really snake oil?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:45 AM

I have seen it said that (all) memory / ram cleaners are useless. I have had problems with memory, and get notifications advising me to close programs to avoid crashes, even when only one or two programs are running. As Ia consequence I am trying a couple of cleaners, one manual, one automatic ---- and they do seem to provide some help. Or am I being deceived?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:54 AM

what programs are you talking about?

#3 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:33 AM

Some users recommend them while others will say they're not necessary, I feel that if a user feels they improve their computer then continue to use them.
CCleaner is safe to use & is free, there's also a paid version. For paid then JV16 Powertools 2017 is just one, a warning though apart for CCleaner these registry cleaners can remove entries that are needed, an example from my experience is JV16 Powertools removed entries for Roxio which meant every time I ran the cleaner & opened Roxio the program had to be reinstalled, in the past it has also affected WinDVD 12. It is only recently that the revs have fixed these problems so I have returned to using it.

#4 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:43 AM

Some users recommend them while others will say they're not necessary, I feel that if a user feels they improve their computer then continue to use them.
CCleaner is safe to use & is free, there's also a paid version. For paid then JV16 Powertools 2017 is just one, a warning though apart for CCleaner these registry cleaners can remove entries that are needed, an example from my experience is JV16 Powertools removed entries for Roxio which meant every time I ran the cleaner & opened Roxio the program had to be reinstalled, in the past it has also affected WinDVD 12. It is only recently that the revs have fixed these problems so I have returned to using it.

Can you teach how to clean RAM using CCleaner.

#5 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:18 AM

Yes the only ram cleaning needed is to blow off the dust that has accumulated on the memory chips themselves.

#6 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

Can you teach how to clean RAM using CCleaner.

Of course CCleaner doesn't clean RAM. :)

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:29 AM

If you are referring to registry cleaners and/or optimizers you should read the following.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product.

Credit for this goes to Quietman7, one of our Global Moderators.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,530 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:32 AM

I have seen it said that (all) memory / ram cleaners are useless. I have had problems with memory, and get notifications advising me to close programs to avoid crashes, even when only one or two programs are running. As Ia consequence I am trying a couple of cleaners, one manual, one automatic ---- and they do seem to provide some help. Or am I being deceived?

I never heard of a RAM cleaner. Please post a link because I think it is a scam.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:35 AM

I never heard of a RAM cleaner. Please post a link because I think it is a scam.

thats my thinking also....why i asked for the name of the program

Edited by mikey11, 28 June 2017 - 09:35 AM.

#10 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 472 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:47 AM

There are many memory / RAM cleaners. The ones I use I check with Task Manager and SysGauge,  in both of which the visable reduction in memory usage is quite clear. The main ones I use at the moment are Memory Cleaner by Koshy John, Wise Memory Optimizer, IOB Performance Monitor and Smart RAM, plus also Glary Memory Optimizer and Synei RAM Cleaner --- the last one I have not tried because it is not free but Synei has the most thorough junk cleaner I have come across.   

When I get warning notifications from Windows that memory usage is excessive the risk of crashing seems to be avoided when using a memory cleaner with a manual option. Two things concern me 1) why, when the cleaning effect seem to be quite clear (eg. in Task Manager) do some people claim they are useless (they may be, but the evidence suggests otherwise) and 2) why do I get memory shortage problems in the first place when I am told 4 GB RAM should be enough? 

I dont know why some people have conflated memory cleaners with registry cleaners which are not the same thing and which I do not normally use.

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,530 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:37 PM

How much RAM do you have? If you are having problems with your RAM maybe you should add some more.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,530 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

https://www.howtogeek.com/171424/why-memory-optimizers-and-ram-boosters-are-worse-than-useless/

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,530 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:41 PM

There are many memory / RAM cleaners. The ones I use I check with Task Manager and SysGauge,  in both of which the visable reduction in memory usage is quite clear. The main ones I use at the moment are Memory Cleaner by Koshy John, Wise Memory Optimizer, IOB Performance Monitor and Smart RAM, plus also Glary Memory Optimizer and Synei RAM Cleaner --- the last one I have not tried because it is not free but Synei has the most thorough junk cleaner I have come across.   

When I get warning notifications from Windows that memory usage is excessive the risk of crashing seems to be avoided when using a memory cleaner with a manual option. Two things concern me 1) why, when the cleaning effect seem to be quite clear (eg. in Task Manager) do some people claim they are useless (they may be, but the evidence suggests otherwise) and 2) why do I get memory shortage problems in the first place when I am told 4 GB RAM should be enough? 

I dont know why some people have conflated memory cleaners with registry cleaners which are not the same thing and which I do not normally use.

From a simple Google search, all of those products are not only scams, but they actually can do harm to your system.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:02 PM

These programs which claim to be RAM cleaners are actually optimization applications  which was addressed in my last post.  There are a lot of people who don't have a good understanding of what RAM does.  For example, you see that 3GB out of 4GB is in use leaving you with only 1GB of RAM and you think that you are running out of RAM.  What you need to understand is that RAM caches data in use for faster access.

There is a very good article at the How-To Geek website which explains this in great detail, well worth reading.

The bottom line is that RAM optimization software is worse than snake oil.  It can actually be harmful.  You would be better off having an adequate amount of RAM, enough free space on the mass storage unit which your operating system is installed on.  Weeding out the unneeded or unwanted third party applications is a good idea as well.  Tools like ADWCleaner  and Junkware Removal Tool are very good at finding and removing these third party applications which most security software recognizes as PUPs.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#15 opera

opera

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 01:30 PM

The ONLY memory cleaner I would ever recommend to anyone is CleanMem.

http://www.pcwintech.com/cleanmem

This program is written by the same person who writes Windows Repair (All in One) at Tweaking.Com

(just to confirm that they are the same person see here)

http://www.pcwintech.com/shanes-toolbox

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users