Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MS June Update High CPU - Anyone Else ?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:25 AM

Checked my MS Monthly Updates and Maxthon Browser Update.

Laptop has been running Flawlessly for 2-3 yrs - No issues.

Started MS Update Service and found these 3 to Install as follows.

1/ 2017-06 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x86 based Systems (KB4022719)
2/ May, 2017 Security and Quality Rollup for .Net Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2 , 4.6,4.6.1,4.6.2 on Windows 7      (KB4019112)
3/ Windows malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2017 (KB890830)

After Install and Rebooting CPU stayed steady on 10 -15 % and occasionally peaking at 20-30%.
Let run for full day  - Never Got Better .
Prior to Update CPU always sat idle at 0 - 1 % / and with Webpage open - Google.com

Opening browser made it even worse 80-90% and Lagging on anything loading , intensive Webpages high cpu , basic Webpages 20-30% up and down...
Bleeping Site = Overlay from last page on current page ....wierd.

Updated Maxthon = Same ...Installed FFox = Same  -  Tried IE11= Same......All High Cpu and Fluctuating.

Reverted to Saved Image from Last week and all good again.
Updated Maxthon - no issue`s all good.

So im assuming its the MS Updates as listed above and possibly x 1 Service i noticed relating to Telemetry ......cant remember exact Service Name , i did end task -   but to no avail at the time.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same High Cpu ? after the Update.
Did read that some Win 10 PCs did have the same issue but im on W7 so found it strange , a bit like Microsoft....

Not looking for a Fix ? probably hold off on updating for a month or so and try again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:12 AM

I have not run into this problem with Windows 7 but I do not install the Quality Updates as Microsoft is including all  updates post SP1  including all telemetry updates.

Over time, Windows will also proactively add patches to the Monthly Rollup that have been released in the past. Our goal is eventually to include all of the patches we have shipped in the past since the last baseline, so that the Monthly Rollup becomes fully cumulative and you need only to install the latest single rollup to be up to date. We encourage you to move to the Monthly Rollup model to improve reliability and quality of updating all versions of Windows.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/08/15/further-simplifying-servicing-model-for-windows-7-and-windows-8-1/

This is for reference only. Use the list at your own risk.

Windows Update Catalog  June 2017 Security Only Update and see if you still have the problem.

The Malware Removal Tool phones home after a scan but I can't see that being the problem.

https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/10/stop-microsofts-malicious-software-removal-tool-from-phoning-home/

#3 Havachat

Havachat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 03:54 AM

Thanks JohnC_21 , i have only done the Security Updates as i listed for June.

All other previous Monthly Updates i had no issues with.

The service i couldnt remember is CompatTelRunner.exe and today at Boot it ran for 5 min at between 70-90% and then disaapeared....

I,ll look through those Links over the Weekend and maybe try again , not really fazed to much but just interested as to the reasons why or cause after those Updates , i may install the three seperate and see what results , and can always fall back to my Image if goes wobbly again.

Any conclusions .....i,ll Post Back.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 06:44 AM

The exe is for a compatibility update. It could be any of three possible updates.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/anyone-know-what-compattelrunnerexe-isdoes/768b3521-4c85-482f-bb41-5de611cda7f0

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3040069/microsoft-windows/deja-vu-all-over-again-microsoft-reissues-kb-2952664-kb-2976978-kb-2977759.html

Yesterday, Microsoft re-re-released three patches -- KB 2952664, KB 2976978 and KB 2977759 -- all of which offer "compatibility" updates for those of you hell-bent on upgrading from Windows 7 or 8.1 to Windows 10 via Windows Update.

It's possible this was part of the rollup of post SP1 updates I linked to. When you update do you use Windows Update or the Microsoft catalog site to download and install Security Only updates. Windows update installs Security Updates and any updates Microsoft deemed important including the compatibility updates which are useless if you are not upgrading to Windows 10. Since these "Compatibility Updates" are now rolled up with the Security Updates I don't believe there is any way to remove single updates.

See post #11

https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/388850-compattelrunner-exe-help-2.html?s=bce67c6e4922adc6a755f5eb01df2004

Another reason I'm moving to linux after Windows 7 end of support. Fortunately I have never downloaded the Quality Rollups, only the Security Rollups from the Microsoft Catalog, and I have disk images should I need to reinstall instead of the nightmare of doing updates on a clean install.

Edited by JohnC_21, 28 June 2017 - 06:46 AM.

#5 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:50 PM

1.  Check for odd services running

2.  Check the run registry entry key for oddities

This costs you $60.00 and you will be billed on your next IRS tax filings.  (I'm joking)

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:23 PM

Checked my MS Monthly Updates and Maxthon Browser Update.

Laptop has been running Flawlessly for 2-3 yrs - No issues.

Started MS Update Service and found these 3 to Install as follows.

1/ 2017-06 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x86 based Systems (KB4022719)
2/ May, 2017 Security and Quality Rollup for .Net Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2 , 4.6,4.6.1,4.6.2 on Windows 7      (KB4019112)
3/ Windows malicious Software Removal Tool - June 2017 (KB890830)

After Install and Rebooting CPU stayed steady on 10 -15 % and occasionally peaking at 20-30%.
Let run for full day  - Never Got Better .
Prior to Update CPU always sat idle at 0 - 1 % / and with Webpage open - Google.com

Opening browser made it even worse 80-90% and Lagging on anything loading , intensive Webpages high cpu , basic Webpages 20-30% up and down...
Bleeping Site = Overlay from last page on current page ....wierd.

Updated Maxthon = Same ...Installed FFox = Same  -  Tried IE11= Same......All High Cpu and Fluctuating.

Reverted to Saved Image from Last week and all good again.
Updated Maxthon - no issue`s all good.

So im assuming its the MS Updates as listed above and possibly x 1 Service i noticed relating to Telemetry ......cant remember exact Service Name , i did end task -   but to no avail at the time.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed the same High Cpu ? after the Update.
Did read that some Win 10 PCs did have the same issue but im on W7 so found it strange , a bit like Microsoft....

Not looking for a Fix ? probably hold off on updating for a month or so and try again.

Download and run Sysinternals' Process Explorer and see which process is running up the CPU...

Then, double-click on the process name and select the Threads tab to see which thread is using the largest amount of CPU.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

Also, enable the VirusTotal check in Process Explorer by clicking on Options > VirusTotal.com > Check VirusTotal.com

#7 Havachat

Havachat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:18 AM

1.  Check for odd services running

2.  Check the run registry entry key for oddities

This costs you $60.00 and you will be billed on your next IRS tax filings.  (I'm joking)

No odd services running , nor run entries - these were my first checks anyway.

Download and run Sysinternals' Process Explorer and see which process is running up the CPU...

Then, double-click on the process name and select the Threads tab to see which thread is using the largest amount of CPU.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

Also, enable the VirusTotal check in Process Explorer by clicking on Options > VirusTotal.com > Check VirusTotal.com

Ran Process Explorer , came up with 1/61 { Baidu }........Win32.Trojan.WisdomEyes.16070401.9500.9849

On Services.exe - PID 744 - Services and Controller App.

Its A False Positive !

Redownloaded MS Updates ; and no issues as before.

Maxthon still jumps 5-10%  on Mxup starting. { Updater }

Will keep running and check over the week for any abnormal issues otherwise Ok.

The exe is for a compatibility update. It could be any of three possible updates.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_programs/anyone-know-what-compattelrunnerexe-isdoes/768b3521-4c85-482f-bb41-5de611cda7f0

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3040069/microsoft-windows/deja-vu-all-over-again-microsoft-reissues-kb-2952664-kb-2976978-kb-2977759.html

Another reason I'm moving to linux after Windows 7 end of support. Fortunately I have never downloaded the Quality Rollups, only the Security Rollups from the Microsoft Catalog, and I have disk images should I need to reinstall instead of the nightmare of doing updates on a clean install.

Yes  im working on moving to Linux also , give myself 12 mths to readup and install on some spare Machines again , just for Net.

Just getting to old to start learning again but atleast no continual headaches from MS Hidden Addons....

Had to happen sooner than later , oh well microsofts loss.....

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,004 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:24 AM

Trust me, I'm no spring chicken either but I keep studying and learning new things even if I struggle to do it. Keeps my brain active. I have Ubuntu dual booting with XP but if you are moving from Windows linux Mint is a good choice.

#9 Havachat

Havachat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:28 AM

Well ! an Update to my original Issues.

Updated Maxthon , and all MS Updates and issue still persisted , slightly better ,  but still used 10 - 20 on CPU on Maxthon.exe x 2 within processes in Task Manager.

Other Browsers made no difference.

Ran everything just to check - JRT , MWB , ADAWARE , SECURITY CHK , ROUGE KILLER, FRST , HITMAN , ESET , My Avast.

All came up Clean { With Last Image / and After Updates }.

Tried my other Laptop , similar Issue { All on Wireless }.

Played around all day today , and found if i had 2 x Tabs open , first being Google.com.au and Bleeping on 2nd Tab.

If i Tabbed to Bleeping Page - No High Cpu.......2-3%

If i Tabbed to Homepage - Google.com.au - Cpu .......15-30% and constant.

Ended up making DuckDuckGo my HomePage and CPU sits at 2-3%

So im putting it down to Google at this stage as the Problem !

Why ? Because now everything works as it should.

And Microsoft was making the push to force us all onto W10 , and now Google has taken a Back Seat and Driving us nowhere !

In all fairness .....i really dont know ? but Laptops happy to be back home and behaving as it should.

Thanks to all who assisted in trying to help.............Linux still the Spare Tyre waiting to be Changed Over.

#10 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:36 AM

The exe is for a compatibility update.

The .exe is the Windows Compatibility Telemetry service.

#11 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:40 AM

Updated Maxthon , and all MS Updates and issue still persisted , slightly better ,  but still used 10 - 20 on CPU on Maxthon.exe x 2 within processes in Task Manager.

Looks like Maxthon is an issue.

In 2016 it was called out for privacy and security issues (source Wikipedia)...

Data privacy issues

In 2016, computer security researchers from Fidelis Cybersecurity and Exatel discovered the browser surreptitiously sending sensitive browsing and system data, such as ad blocker status, websites visited, searches conducted, and applications installed with their version numbers, to remote servers located in Beijing, China. According to Maxthon, the data is sent as part of the firm's 'User Experience Improvement Program' and it is "voluntary and totally anonymous." However, researchers found the data still being collected and sent to remote servers even after users explicitly opt-out of the program. The researchers further found the data being sent over an unencrypted connection (HTTP), leaving users vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks. Fidelis' Chief Security Officer, Justin Harvey, noted the data "...contains almost everything you would want in conducting a reconnaissance operation to know exactly where to attack. Knowing the exact operating system and installed applications, and browsing habits it would be trivial to send a perfectly crafted spear phish to the victim or perhaps set up a watering hole attack on one of their most frequented websites."[42] Soon after this incident, developers from Maxthon found out that it was just a bug that caused some testing information being sent to the company's server for user experience improvement, and it has been fixed immediately according to Maxthon's CEO Jeff Chen.[43] He also stated that "security and privacy are top priorities at Maxthon".[44]

Edited by jwoods301, 03 July 2017 - 12:42 AM.

#12 Havachat

Havachat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 05:26 AM

Looks like Maxthon is an issue.

In 2016 it was called out for privacy and security issues (source Wikipedia)...

Data privacy issues

Its not Maxthon thats the issue , ive read all that Privacy Stuff and been using it for years with no hicups / i dont have anything important on my Pcs , no banking , Nada , Google spies more ! 

Im still using it ...Maxthon , just not using Google.com.au as homepage and alls well.

#13 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 04:12 PM

slightly better ,  but still used 10 - 20 on CPU on Maxthon.exe x 2 within processes

Its not Maxthon thats the issue

OK then.

#14 Havachat

Havachat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 04:30 AM

slightly better ,  but still used 10 - 20 on CPU on Maxthon.exe x 2 within processes

OK then.

Yep thats what i stated ....Line 1 / Line 2 / Line 3.

Its running Fine..No Issues to Update... :busy:

#15 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:43 PM

OK then.

Yep thats what i stated ....Line 1 / Line 2 / Line 3.

Its running Fine..No Issues to Update... :busy:

That's good news for you and the five other people that use it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users