Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Load Win 3.1

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xtinctss

xtinctss

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 09:40 AM

Just for giggles I would like to load win 3.1 on an old pc I have here. I have completely forgotten how to do this! Do I need to have DOS on the HD first or will 3.1 install what I need? I have all the origional 3.1 disks but I don't have any copy of DOS. Can someone walk me through this?

Thanks.

FWIW, I am planning on having 3.1, 95, 98, 2000 and XP running on 5 computers as kind of a display on the wall of my den. I know its silly but hey, I gotta do something with all the parts laying around!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:41 PM

I use to it install this all the time many years back ...

First, you had to install DOS. This was 3-4 diskettes.
After that, you can install Windows. This was on 6-8 diskettes.

The install was tedious with the amount of disks that you had to use to get all of your software installed.

You could probably have all 5 OSes running on one computer with VMWARE.
JC

#3 xtinctss

xtinctss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:51 PM

Any Idea where I could get a good copy of DOS? Oh, and how do I load it!?!....Man its been a long time!

I have a "wall" of flat panels. 47" TV, and 5 19" monitors. I want all of them working. I just thought it would be funny. Geeky I guess! I even still have a working Comadore 64 that I play games on all the time!

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 02:10 PM

I am not actually sure where you can get a working copy of the installation disks for DOS. MS is not offering it for free, so you would have to obtain a valid license.

To install... I believe that you booted from the Disk #1, read and follow the prompts and change disks when required. There really wasn't much to the installation. It was learning the DOS commands that caused problems for some.

95/98/ME/2000 are a little more of a challange to install.

You can always post back again once you get everything together.

I wouldn't mind seeing a picture of your set-up when your done. ...I guess I am a geek too. :thumbsup:
JC

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:28 PM

There are currently two free versions of DOS.

OpenDOS (Formly DR DOS, now own by Caldera)

Free DOS
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2006 - 06:48 AM

Beware of trying to use OpenDOS with Win 3.1. I tried this once years ago and at first it seemed to work but then it started crashing. Researching it I learned that M$ had made some changes to Win 3.1 and they created subtle incompatibilities. Opinions were divided but most thought these "time bombs" were planted deliberately to undercut DR-DOS (as it was known at the time).

If you want to be 100 percent legal you need to get an original licensed set of DOS 6.22 and Win 3.1 or WFWorkgroups 3.11 disks on e-bay or at a computer flea market or similar.

BTW I agree with JoshuaCat, no need for a separate computer. Just go to EasyVMX.com and create a virtual machine for Win 3.1. Then download VMWare Player (it's free). If you need details PM me and I can find some more detailed instructions. This is probably the easiest way to go if you don't have a really old computer. Nobody writes Win 3.x drivers for modern hardware.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users