Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Using DBAN to format my hard drive, is this normal?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mbamne

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:10 PM

I'm using DBAN to format my hard drive and this weird set of text has popped up on my screen covering all the status and etc of the wiping of my HDD, can someone tell me if this is normal and if I should do something or not?24gm52r.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,137 posts
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:39 AM

Was there a reason you needed to DBan the drive? If not selling the computer a normal delete partition and format would work. Unless you are worried about some government state doing a forensic analysis of the disk one pass or zeros using a Windows install disk is sufficient.

#3 MDD1963

• Members
  • 685 posts
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:57 AM

Dban is used to absolutely clear a drive, for instance prior to discarding a drive, selling a drive, selliing a computer and selling it without OS...

It is certainly not needed merely prior to a routine 'nuke and pave', i.e., delete partitions/quick reformat/reinstall......

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#4 RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,448 posts
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:22 AM

I'm wondering if DBAN is stumbling upon and simply alerting you to a few combinations of marked bad sectors/re-allocated sectors; I cannot see the picture well at all, my eyes are at fault, not your picture. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users