Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to help someone with a Windows 10 system

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tunedport64

Tunedport64

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:24 PM

Hi all,

My father called me and said that when he starts his Windows Edge from the task bar he get a blue screen pop up that says he has a security warning..he has a trojen..he needs to call support..blah blah blah...(he is 80) he only had Windows Defender as his protection come to find out. I had him install SuperAntiSpyware...Emsisoft Internet Security....I had him disk clean and systems clean....ran everything...lots was found with Anti..600+...3 found with Emsisoft...when we went to start his Windows Edge it still came up. I had him turn on task manager and I went to process and turn off anything that had Microsoft Edge wording in it. I also had him install FireFox...I unpinned his Edge link and deleted it as well and I had him uninstall McAfee which was not supposedly running but he said he was getting requests to upgrade...(very trying time when one can not understand what is working or how to get around the keyboard) Not that I am any good either but I am trying to learn. His email now works...and he can get online with FireFox. I told him he STILL has a virus and I would try to determine how to get it out and he should not use any personal info or financial info on his system until it is cleaned out proper. I am not able to do it proper apparently as of yet. I know there is RKill and Hitman Pro...but I see that things need to be in safe mode and he is not reliable enough to do what i am asking of him. I hear him clicking when I am not asking him to click..(many miles away) any thought about how to help and what to do?

He obtained the virus from  false email from Comcast that he feel for thinking they needed his information for whatever reason...a few days ago

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:05 AM

You might download and install TeamViewer (free for personal use) and get on to your Dad's system remotely and work on it (called "remote control").

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/

Your Dad would just need to download the TeamViewerQS (Quick Support client), but there is nothing he needs to install. He would simply run it when you need to connect.

See the blue Quick Support buttom on the TeamViewer page.

Tutorials and videos can be found here...

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/videos/

Edited by jwoods301, 27 June 2017 - 01:09 AM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:35 AM

If you still cannot resolve the problem even with the use of Teamviewer then you are better to start a new topic in the 'Am I infected?' section of BC. If you do decide to open a topic there could you make a post here to say so. Then this topic can be closed, to avoid confusion, while the malware problem is dealt with.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:17 AM

Note:  See the EDIT further down in this posting.

jwoods301 explains:

Your Dad would just need to download the TeamViewerQS (Quick Support client), but there is nothing he needs to install. He would simply run it when you need to connect.

See the blue Quick Support buttom on the TeamViewer page.

Tutorials and videos can be found here...

https://www.teamviewer.com/en/support/videos/

A bit down the page at that website tells the need TO INSTALL the software after downloading it.

This bit from that page:

After downloading and installing this software, you will have your first session up and running within seconds.

We would usually expect that running an installer is not too much of a difficulty, but not sure how this goes with TeamViewer.

EDIT:  NOW I see still further down the page, there is a portable version, said to need no installation.

Edited by cafejose, 27 June 2017 - 05:19 AM.

#5 Tunedport64

Tunedport64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2017 - 07:03 AM

Thanks for the direction...I will do this tonight when he calls back to finish this issue...I had thought about connecting to his PC..I have not done this before from the perspective of me being the one connecting to someone else's PC...I researched this in detail last night and this morning...seems the problem exists in general as a POP UP...not a virus. There are claims that if I can get his Edge to open with other tabs other than the last page opened...opening...I can kill it by just closing it...the offending tab...pretty simple if that is the case. So all I have to do is open any html that I can and all the tabs should open including that offending tab which I would close then set preferences to only open something like Google or what ever he likes...I will try to convince him to use FireFox as well instead of Edge...I am not a Windows 10 user...so it is a slower work around for me as I navigate through the in general knowledge of getting to place's that are now more complicated to get to..know what  mean? Thanks again for the advice..i will post my results later tonight.

Edited by Tunedport64, 27 June 2017 - 07:04 AM.

#6 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:10 PM

Having some interest in something like TeamViewer for giving help through doing remote assistance, I followed some of the instructions from the site, trying the address in the browser connect.teamviewer.com, and this attempted a download, which was not allowed to happen.  Message in the browser download bar said "Network error".  The file's name shown was TeamViewerQS_en.exe.

#7 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:19 PM

Having some interest in something like TeamViewer for giving help through doing remote assistance, I followed some of the instructions from the site, trying the address in the browser connect.teamviewer.com, and this attempted a download, which was not allowed to happen.  Message in the browser download bar said "Network error".  The file's name shown was TeamViewerQS_en.exe.

I just downloaded the TeamViewer installer, the TeamViewer Portable zip file, and the TeamViewer Quick Support application from the TeamViewer site using Firefox 54, with no issues.

#8 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:46 PM

I just downloaded the TeamViewer installer, the TeamViewer Portable zip file, and the TeamViewer Quick Support application from the TeamViewer site using Firefox 54, with no issues.

Thanks.  I first tried my attempts using google Chrome.  I will remember what you said and try the connect.teamviewer.com address on another computer which has Firefox and find if it works.  The computer on which the downloaded quick connect program of teamviewer is to be downloaded and run has google chrome but it does not have Firefox; that would be the computer which I would want to take control remotely in order to show something to the less-able user.  I'm not sure that user wants to have Firefox on that machine.  If download on the machine which does have firefox is no problem, I may try Edge or IE on the machine of the less-able user.

LATER NOTE:  I tried downloading again, on Google Chrome, the same computer, as before, and the teamviewerQS.exe file , slightly different filename, was downloaded successfully.  I guess for some reason unknown, waiting was necessary.

Edited by cafejose, 27 June 2017 - 09:48 PM.

#9 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,020 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:39 PM

This information is for tunedport64, and for me - because I am still reading what I can find about the use of TeamViewer and the different files to download and use.

Some searches on YouTube are good.

Also, this page from teamviewer search on google, a download page: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/

The person who wants to receive help or support might want the QuickSupport program which needs no installation.

The person who wants to take control and GIVE support would want either the MSI file to install teamviewer, or the portable zip file which needs no installation.

The first video on the teamviewer main site is good for showing how the remote access is to begin.  There is also another video on YouTube which seems good, -------   

#10 Tunedport64

Tunedport64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:42 AM

Thanks all,

I had no problems downloading Teamviewer and correcting my dad's PC. I made several major changes to help protect and demonstrated a proper policy of scanning and cleaning his PC on a daily basis. (not that he had anything nasty to clean but non of the less there was lots of junk) His temp file was so big it needed it's own hard drive...can't believe it really.

I WILL be one of the solutions that will help end WW III...which is the Cyber war we are at. I have a plan....and it involves Bitcoin...the world intel community and all the people like us....let's all focus on that.

Be well all, back to my Bleepingcomputer tutorials...post me if you'd like.

#11 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:15 PM

I am not a Windows 10 user...so it is a slower work around for me as I navigate through the in general knowledge of getting to place's that are now more complicated to get to.

If you and/or your Dad are more comfortable with the look and feel of "old Windows",  try the free tool Classic Shell on Windows 10...

http://www.classicshell.net/

#12 Tunedport64

Tunedport64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:52 AM

thanks jaywoods301....my dad like old windows...because he's old...he also likes paper manuals and frustrating his kid...me..and I love um anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users