Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best AV Product (Paid or Free) that is light on your computer?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SportzForLife39

SportzForLife39

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:26 PM

So I have an old computer, and I can't afford an upgrade this moment, but I need security. What is the best light AV product that is actually good?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:32 PM

How old?

What operating system are you using?

What other security programs are you using?

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no one best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. Choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference, your needs, your technical ability and experience, features offered, user friendliness, ease of updating (and upgrading to new program release), ease of installation/removal, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price. Other factors to consider include detection rates and methods, scanning engine effectiveness, how often virus definitions are updated, the amount of resources the program utilizes, how it may affect system performance and what will work best for your system. A particular anti-virus that works well for one person may not work as well for another.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 SportzForLife39

SportzForLife39
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:01 PM

Its a 2009 Acer 5734z

Win 7 64 bit

None (hence why i actually asked the question).

When I asked i didn't need one specific to me, i just mean a decent antivirus that wont be a hog in resources

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 AM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:04 PM

I usually recommend Panda free. Very light on resources & it stays out your way.

Here: http://www.pandasecurity.com/usa/homeusers/solutions/free-antivirus/

Along with a good antivirus you should also install Malwarebytes https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

Spywareblaster https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/use-spywareblaster-to-protect-your-computer/

Edited by saw101, 26 June 2017 - 08:10 PM.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:06 PM

If you don't mind paying, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they are effective but leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources which slow down performance. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want or can't afford to pay, then I would recommend Sophos Home Free Antivirus, Panda Cloud Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials, the free anti-malware solution for Windows 7 and Vista SP1/SP2 that combines the features of an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner to provide real-time protection.

ESET and Emsisoft Anti-Malware also have the added advantage of blocking the installation of most Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) (such as adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers) if you enable that feature. The most recent release of Emsisoft Anti-Malware includes an Anti-Malware Anti-Ransomware module.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:27 AM

Hi, SportzForLife39!

There are also WinPatrol FREE or PLUS and CryptoPrevent Free or Premium, both of which have free as well as paid versions, i.e. the latter with extra functionality (AutoUpdate).

Regards,
midimusicman79

Edited by midimusicman79, 28 June 2017 - 09:11 AM.

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users