Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Utility Can't Find File Within It's Own Directory!?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 meeshu

meeshu

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:52 PM

Trying to run this program to decrypt .def files.

This program is supposed to be able to decrypt .def files, but every time I try do decrypt a .def file, I get an error message -

Error:Load SCR 53

File not found: VBExp.dll

But the file VBExp.dll is definitely within the programs own directory!! So why can't the program find its own file?

Tried running this program under Windows XP SP3, also Windows 7 x86 SP1, and Windows 7 x64 SP1. But still receive the error message regardless of which operating system I use.

I could upload a sample encrypted .def file, but there doesn't seem to be an upload option.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:56 PM

Cross-posted here...

http://www.novahq.net/forum/showthread.php?p=386756

The program is telling you it can't locate the file most likely because...

1. It's not in the correct directory - C:\Windows\System 32

2. There is a problem with the registry entry.

Open an elevated (Run as administrator) Command prompt, and type the following...

regsvr32 vbexp.dll

Press Enter.

Edited by jwoods301, 26 June 2017 - 07:15 PM.

#3 meeshu

meeshu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:51 PM

Getting nowhere with the other thread here.

Placed copies of VBExp.dll in the root directory C:, also in C:\Windows, and also in C:\Windows\System32.

Also ran regsvr32 vbexp.dll, for each location of the file VBExp.dll one at a time, but the command failed every time with error message -

The module "vbexp.dll" failed to load.

Make sure the binary . . . .

The specified module could not be found.

The program (PFFEditor) still brings up the error message about file VBExp.dll missing (despite placing copies of the file in various locations as above)!

Very peculiar!

Edited by meeshu, 26 June 2017 - 07:57 PM.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:28 AM

If you are using a 64-bit version of Windows, the file would need to be in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 as well as C:\Windows\System 32

Edited by jwoods301, 27 June 2017 - 12:29 AM.

#5 meeshu

meeshu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:25 AM

Thanks. But I was actually aware of that.

Tried running (via Windows 7 x86) with and then without Administrator privilege, and also tried various compatibility modes down to Windows 98. But still get error message.

Tried latest version (1.2.9) as well as the earlier version linked previously above, but both versions continue to give error messages. The latest version came via an installer, which by default placed file VBExp.dll within the program directory. The earlier versions were just copy and paste from a zip/rar file which also has the VBExp.dll file within the program directory.

Edited by meeshu, 27 June 2017 - 05:28 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:35 AM

I am throwing out a total guess here. On the XP computer download and install VB 6 runtime. That may or may not work.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/vb6extendedruntime/

#7 meeshu

meeshu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:45 PM

Thanks for the suggestion!

But VB6 runtimes are already installed in all three operating systems (W7 x86 SP1, W7 x64 SP1, XP Pro x86 SP3).

From searching and browsing around, it seems likely that there are some "dependencies" (other required files) missing. That is possibly why there are issues running this program.

I was hoping someone with knowledge/experience in the programming field, or someone who has had a similar situation resolved would offer assistance(?)

Anyone?

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:15 PM

Download and run Dependency Walker...

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users