Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is this old pc part? It looks like ram?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BM_2000

BM_2000

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:23 PM

I was looking around the basement and found four sticks of this. It looks like ram but it doesnt fit any of the old pc in the house. It is too long to be for a laptop but too short for a desktop. Maybe its not even ram. It is 3.5 inches long by a little over 3/4 long. It has 29 pins on each side. There are 9 chips on only one side of each stick. For all i know its not even for a pc. Any help is appreciated.
Attatched is a picture of it

Attached Files

• Attached File  29.jpg   179.09KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,580 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:37 PM

30 pin SIM RAM stick. For a very old PC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIMM#30-pin_SIMMs

http://www.anandtech.com/show/43/4

#3 BeigeBochs

BeigeBochs

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:34 PM

More specifically, a 4-megabyte 30-pin module with parity and 60-nanosecond response time.  Four of these would bulk up a late-386/early-486 desktop PC from the year 1991 or 1992 to 16 MB of RAM.  I once had a Packard Bell 486SX/25 system with 4 MB of RAM which would've accepted these modules.  I miss that old computer.  Good times.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,547 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:32 AM

As Dolly Parton sang "In the good old days, when times were bad !"

I had a 386 around about then - 40 Megabyte hard drive and, I am fairly sure, it was 16 KB of RAM. Just about the first thing I did was change the hard drive for a whopping 640 MB model, and that cost me about £UK 100 back then. Still, that 40MB HD held DOS 6.20, Win 3.11 and MS Office 6, with about half a meg left over for headroom and my work.

And now I have a desktop with 12GB of RAM and 2.5 TB of storage on the Windows side !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users