Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Games lag heavily when played on laptop screen but not HDMI.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 KUPOkinz

KUPOkinz

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:39 PM

When I play any high end game (Assassin's Creed, Borderlands, GTA etc.) they will lag HEAVILY on my laptop. Like, playing it normally. However I am using my laptop as a desktop pretty much (it's a highend laptop and should run every game I named max, cept maybe GTAV) and it's hooked into either my 55inch 4k or my 45inch 1080p flatscreens. Since I have bought the laptop, I don't think I've gamed on the screen once (which is a pitiful 1366x768, the only thing I compromised when getting it). 

​However today, I was letting my fiancé watch her stupid shows and decided to play the original Assassin's Creed 1 for old times sakes. However, running the game in 1366x768 maxed out results in EXTREMELY chopping lag spikes every few seconds followed by maybe 3 or 4 seconds of smooth gameplay. I exited, tried out Battlefield 4 and with the same results. Exit, same thing with Metro 2033. 

​Then, I relinquished my TV from my fiancé and returned to HDMI mode 4k with Battlefield 4. 60fps all around along with the other games I mentioned. 

​I'm pretty computer savy and I can't for the life of me figure out exactly what is causing this. I can't see myself not being able to play on the go, like where would I be without having Morrowind or Skyrim in a hotel on vacation? 

If it helps, I have an internal Nvidia Card, no cheap integrates tho I don't see that having anything to do with it. Windows 10 64bit Dual-Core i7 clocked 3.33ghz 16g ram with 4g video ram. 

Any help people? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:49 AM

I can think of two possibilities, but they are both in the nature of guesses.

When playing these games on the laptop screen is the video setting in the game set to the screen resolution ?  If it isn't changed, or doesn't change automatically, to the 1366x768 resolution it could be that the game is producing too much data and this is having to be reduced down by the video system. This would put a large load on the video system which might well explain the slowdown.

The other, no more likely, is that there is a problem with the actual transfer of data to the screen and the most likely culprit would be the mobo to screen cable. It is just possible that one end or the other is not properly connected, ie fully home in its connecting socket.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users