Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast is using alot of processing power.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

So 30 minutes ago Avast started using all alot my CPU and i can't stop it even after disabling all of the shields and i can't just close AvastUI.exe either.

EACu6QoOSfe3tnU-FURRaA.jpeg

Twitter

Discord:inkoalawetrust#9783

Website

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:17 PM

Try restarting the computer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:30 PM

Try restarting the computer.

Avast still uses most of the CPU just not enough to make CPU usage 100%.

Twitter

Website

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:35 PM

Consuming resources is one reason I ditched avast years ago so you're not alone in your complaint.

You may want to consider replacing it with another solution which is not as resource heavy.  If you don't mind paying, I generally recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware as they are effective but leave a small footprint...meaning they are not intrusive and do not utilize a lot of system resources which slow down performance. Kaspersky Anti-virus is also a good choice for the same reason. If you don't want or can't afford to pay, then I would recommend Sophos Home Free Antivirus, Panda Cloud Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition if you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender or Microsoft Security Essentials, the free anti-malware solution for Windows 7 and Vista SP1/SP2 that combines the features of an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner to provide real-time protection.

For more suggestions see Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

#5 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:14 PM

Might this high usage be temporary, as would perhaps be found in the midst of a periodic full background scan, etc..?

(UVK has a "Kill all processes" option that might terminat whatever it is, or, alternatively, MS/SysInternal's "ProcessExplorer" should let you suspend/kill whatever tasks are spawning your errant/stubborn task)....

(Purely as points of reference, although a Defender scan may only use 12-15% cpu resources, a MalwareBytes scan, while active, hovers at 65-75% during the quick scan during those few minutes (on a 7700K, w/ 32GB of RAM)

Edited by MDD1963, 28 June 2017 - 07:18 PM.

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 07:21 PM

Download and run Sysinternals' Process Explorer.

Double-click on the process name and select the Threads tab to see which thread is using the largest amount of CPU.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

Also, enable the VirusTotal check in Process Explorer by clicking on Options > VirusTotal.com > Check VirusTotal.com

#7 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 320 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:24 AM

The problem stopped like 2 days ago ಠ_ಠ

Twitter

Website

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 02:31 PM

Many avast users have reported the same issue over the years...see here.

I suspect is will likely happen again.

#9 ScotsWaHae

ScotsWaHae

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2018 - 05:24 PM

Dear quietman7,

I have also been experiencing this problem with Avast, and it drives me nuts when my CPU fan runs at high speed as a result.

Your 26 June 2017 post above was very helpful, but I have a couple of questions which I hope you can possibly answer for me?

Are Windows 10 Defender and Microsoft Security Essentials effective enough to use only those programs and not use a third party anti-virus program like Avast?

I also have Avast Cleanup Premium on my computer, and I'm wondering if there is another program I can use instead of that, perhaps even an online cleaning/tune-up service?

Thanks for the help!

Edited by ScotsWaHae, 24 August 2018 - 05:38 PM.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2018 - 05:59 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) is a free anti-malware solution for older operating systems like Windows 7 and Vista SP1/SP2 that combines the features of an anti-virus and anti-malware scanner to provide real-time protection against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. However, it is weak, meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection especially from ransomware.

Windows 10 Defender (Windows Defender Antivirus), Microsoft's free built-in (integrated) anti-virus and anti-malware solution, is just as good as any other free antivirus solution (and probably easier to use for the novice) without bundled toolbars or nagging popups. Microsoft has incorporated a number of significant improvements which make it competitive with other major anti-virus vendors. I explain why in this topic.

Also see my comments about Windows Defender in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.

#11 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2018 - 08:38 PM

Ditch Avast cleanup, it seems like a lot of the extras (bloat) that Avast has been adding to their AV are either problematic, too expensive or both. Use Windows built in tools for cleaning, if you want to use a 3rd party cleaner try Ccleaner. I would stay far away from optimization/ tuneup programs.

#12 ScotsWaHae

ScotsWaHae

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2018 - 08:51 PM

Thanks, digmor crusher.  I think I will do just that and uninstall Avast Cleanup Premium.  When you say to use "Windows built in tools for cleaning," can you tell me a little more about that and how to go about it?  Thanks, again!

#13 digmor crusher

digmor crusher

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2018 - 09:10 PM

Sure, if your using Windows 10, just go to Windows Administrative Tools , in there you will find "Disc Cleanup" and "Defragment and Optimize Drives" options.

You could also go here....Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Security and Maintenance\Automatic Maintenance, there you can set maintenance to run daily, this would include software updates, security scanning and system diagnostics. I don't use this so not sure how useful it is.

#14 ScotsWaHae

ScotsWaHae

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:05 PM

Again, thank you!  I'm already doing those things, and I have downloaded and installed the professional version of Ccleaner.  Appreciate the help!

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,953 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:44 PM

While CCleaner is safe and useful for removing unused, temporary, junk and privacy related files (cache and cookies) for Internet Explorer, Firefox, Thunderbird, Chrome, Opera, Microsoft Edge, I do not recommend using the built-in registry cleaner unless you have a good understanding of the registry. However, CCleaner's registry feature is and requires a separate user action from the Cleaner so it cannot be used at the same time.

In the past, AV Comparatives said this about registry cleaning software.

Some "classic clean-up software" such as "Ccleaner" are classified as "Useless" in this database because the Windows registry does not need any maintenance except if you are victim of a malware infection and because tweaking the windows registery does not speed up a computer at all. It does not mean that Cleaner and similar tools are not good for sweeping your harddrive and help to keep your privacy. Registry cleaners have been become social engineering products (e.g. Iobit Advanced System Care, CCleaner, Wise Registry Cleaner, etc.) and paying for this particular function is just a waste of money

In fact, Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users