Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS/CMOS Hijacked

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Artisan1967

Artisan1967

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

Hello,

I recently found out that my BIOS/CMOS has been hijacked.   I have a 500gb HD that I was going to replace and or even wipe but I first noticed that the monitor does not turn on until Win 7 starts up.  when I tried to hold down or hit F8 of F12 the computer start up stalls (start up actually halts and does not do anything).   I have tried with a new blank HD and I have a Win 7 repair disk but nothing is helping.  I even tried to use the 'config' program in windows 7 for other boot options but no luck.  

Yesterday I found a possible fix to remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard for factory reset but now I am not getting anything.  computer just boots up to a blank screen and after about 10 minutes the computer shuts off like it would automatically when you set for power options.   I have the CMOS battery out right now and am going to attempt another start up with battery back in.  

Thank you for helping me with this matter.   Lemme know if you need specs, I will try to get them.  

Scott 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:39 PM

Replace the CMOS battery with a new one, please.

I don't know if a system will starti without a properly working CMOS battery.

After resetting the BIOS options, date, time, etc...then try to boot into safe mode.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 27 June 2017 - 06:22 AM.

#3 Artisan1967

Artisan1967
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:52 PM

Thank you, Louis,

I found a little tid bit on the CMOS battery, I had it out for about 30 mins and then hit the power button without the tower being plugged in.   I put the battery in and the Bios started up as normal.  I am wiping hard drive and reinstalling Win 7 as we speak.  Thank you so much for your help.

Scott

Ps   I am happy I finally won one from those dirty hackers.  

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 06:23 AM

Glad you resolved it...happy computing :).

Louis

#5 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

Toshiba... I hate your Western Samurai honor...
(You had a toshiba.  I know using an inference studies technique)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users