Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Install IDT HD Audio Driver

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jamessunderland663

Jamessunderland663

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

In the control Panel under Hardware and sound it says my NVIDIA Control Panel is not found and that my IDT Audio driver is inaccessible. I tried to update my IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver using the HP support website but whne I tried to run the application, acess was denied.

I even ran the program as Administrator so I have no idea what to do, can anyone help me?

Attached Files

Edited by Jamessunderland663, 26 June 2017 - 03:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:12 PM

What is the model of the HP? What was the reason for updating the IDT driver?

Did this problem suddenly occur? If so do you have a System Restore Point before the problem?

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager? 

#3 Jamessunderland663

Jamessunderland663
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:21 PM

What is the model of the HP? What was the reason for updating the IDT driver?

Did this problem suddenly occur? If so do you have a System Restore Point before the problem?

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager?

HP EliteBook 8540w. I tried updating the audio driver because my internal microphone array was not picking up sound.

The mic not working has been on and off so I tried updating but now it looks like more problems arose. I do not have a restore point.

No but "IDT High Definition Audio CODEC" is no longer under "Sound, video and game controllers" in Device Manager even though it was previously.

Edited by Jamessunderland663, 26 June 2017 - 04:47 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:29 PM

If the IDT HD is not in Device Manager then a driver will never install. If there are no yellow exclamation marks open Device Manager and click the top most tree, your pc, and select Action > Scan for Hardware Changes. Does it detect your IDT HD?

If your NVidia control panel is not functioning I would uninstall your graphics driver and reinstall from your HP support site but the support site only lists Nvidia drivers for Windows 7 32bit. If you have 64bit you will need to download the driver from Nvidia's site.

#5 Jamessunderland663

Jamessunderland663
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:44 PM

If the IDT HD is not in Device Manager then a driver will never install. If there are no yellow exclamation marks open Device Manager and click the top most tree, your pc, and select Action > Scan for Hardware Changes. Does it detect your IDT HD?

If your NVidia control panel is not functioning I would uninstall your graphics driver and reinstall from your HP support site but the support site only lists Nvidia drivers for Windows 7 32bit. If you have 64bit you will need to download the driver from Nvidia's site.

Scanning does not seem to do anything, it detected a missing PCI Serial port driver the first scan, then when I tried again nothing came up.

How would I go about uninstalling my graphics driver? Would I just unistall NVIDIA PhysX from Programs and Features under control panel? (Sorry, not the most tech savvy)

Edited by Jamessunderland663, 26 June 2017 - 05:44 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

Is Physx the only item listed under Nvidia in Control Panel? Is your Windows 7 32bit or 64bit? Do you know what Nvidia chipset you have. Right click on a blank area of the desktop. Select Screen Resolution > Advanced Settings. The card should be listed under the Adapter tab.

You can also right click Computer > Properties > Click on Windows Experience Index > Click on View and Print detailed preformance and system information. Your graphics adapter will be in the report under the Graphics category.

Edit: Is sound working?

Was this the drive you tried to install?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-elitebook-8540w-mobile-workstation/4096175/swItemId/ob-100236-2

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 June 2017 - 06:16 PM.

#7 Jamessunderland663

Jamessunderland663
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:31 PM

Is Physx the only item listed under Nvidia in Control Panel? Is your Windows 7 32bit or 64bit? Do you know what Nvidia chipset you have. Right click on a blank area of the desktop. Select Screen Resolution > Advanced Settings. The card should be listed under the Adapter tab.

You can also right click Computer > Properties > Click on Windows Experience Index > Click on View and Print detailed preformance and system information. Your graphics adapter will be in the report under the Graphics category.

Edit: Is sound working?

Was this the drive you tried to install?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-elitebook-8540w-mobile-workstation/4096175/swItemId/ob-100236-2

When I tried to search for "NVIDIA" under Programs and Feutures, only "NVIDIA PhysX" Came up (http://imgur.com/zejA4kJ).
My Windows 7 is 64 bit.
My NVIDIA Chipset is Quadro FX 880.

Sound works (speakers). Strangely the mute button is always red as if always being active but it works regardless. But my laptop, which, had an internal microphone array, won't pick up sound.

The driver I tried to install was the top one "Driver-Audio": "IDT High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver", on the HP Support Site: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitebook-8540w-mobile-workstation/4096175

Edited by Jamessunderland663, 26 June 2017 - 06:33 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:49 PM

Have you tried installing the audio driver by right clicking and selecting Run as Adminstrator? I extracted the files from the exe file and there is an XP and Vista folder for drivers but no Windows 7. 

If Run as Administrator does not work then use Windows 7 compatibility mode to install the driver. Create a restore point first before installing.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/43/4

If you have a file archiver like Winrar or 7zip you can extract the exe file to a folder and then use compatibility mode on the setup file in the unzipped folder.

I am not sure any of the above will solve your sound driver issues as the HD codec is not shown in Device Manager. In Device Manager select View > Show hidden devices. Does that bring up any thing IDT under the sound category?

#9 Jamessunderland663

Jamessunderland663
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:57 PM

Have you tried installing the audio driver by right clicking and selecting Run as Adminstrator? I extracted the files from the exe file and there is an XP and Vista folder for drivers but no Windows 7. 

If Run as Administrator does not work then use Windows 7 compatibility mode to install the driver. Create a restore point first before installing.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/43/4

If you have a file archiver like Winrar or 7zip you can extract the exe file to a folder and then use compatibility mode on the setup file in the unzipped folder.

I am not sure any of the above will solve your sound driver issues as the HD codec is not shown in Device Manager. In Device Manager select View > Show hidden devices. Does that bring up any thing IDT under the sound category?

I already tried Running it as Administrator (wrote that in my first post) but sadly no luck

I viewed hidden devices but nothing new showed up under "Sound, game and video controls" (http://imgur.com/Irwzr8i).

Sorry if my problem is a bit troublesome, you're the first person to stick with me and try to solve it so thanks for that.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:59 PM

Do you have a file archiver like Winrar or 7zip?

#11 Jamessunderland663

Jamessunderland663
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:03 PM

Do you have a file archiver like Winrar or 7zip?

Oh, yeah, got Winrar. I'll try that and report back

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:11 PM

If running the extracted setup in compatibility mode does not work then download and install this driver after creating a restore point.

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/IDT/HP-IDT-High-Definition-Audio-Driver-61064790-for-Windows-7-Windows-8.shtml

Is doing a factory reset something you would consider after backing up all your personal data? Any programs installed after purchase would need to be reinstalled. Backup any license files or serials for your purchased software.

#13 Jamessunderland663

Jamessunderland663
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:23 PM

If running the extracted setup in compatibility mode does not work then download and install this driver after creating a restore point.

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/SOUND-CARD/IDT/HP-IDT-High-Definition-Audio-Driver-61064790-for-Windows-7-Windows-8.shtml

Is doing a factory reset something you would consider after backing up all your personal data? Any programs installed after purchase would need to be reinstalled. Backup any license files or serials for your purchased software.

Just did the Winrar solution and oh joyous day! Everything works now, even my microphone. Thank you my good sir, you are a wizard!
In all serious I just want to say: thank you so much for your help. Nothing else I tired worked but you really helped me out of a tough spot, thanks again and have a great day.

Edited by Jamessunderland663, 26 June 2017 - 07:24 PM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,297 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:38 PM

No problem, thanks for the update. How is your graphics. Is that functioning properly?

#15 Jamessunderland663

Jamessunderland663
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:46 PM

No problem, thanks for the update. How is your graphics. Is that functioning properly?

Looks like they are, loaded up a videogame and everything looks fine, NVIDIA control panel still is not found but nothing else seems out of order.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users