Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Overheating

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MindlessBot

MindlessBot

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

I have had this computer for about a year now, it was manufactured by iBuyPower and it has a GT 730 for the graphics card. The processor is a AMD FX™-6300 Six-Core Processor with 3.50GHz and 8 gigabytes. My problem with it is that the temperature gets way too high from what I have been told as without anything running it stays at a constant 77 C, or 170F and the fan speed usually around 6172. To put it into a "simpler" way, CPU 170F, Mainboard: 170F, GPU: 100F. I have tried replacing the fan once and it worked for a while before simply going back to its overheating nature.. I tried calling the manufacturers who suggested buying the previously mentioned fan. I have also tried having the computer just booted up in BIOS and it keeps at the same heat/fan speed with little to no change in anything. I have also cleaned out the dust multiple times, and taking the side off to leave it open neither of which proved any difference. The thermal paste is gone completely as if it disintegrated and the pain on the sides of the case has melted off, often when sliding my finger over it, it comes off onto my finger. 

I have been looking into getting a water cooling fan as I've heard multiple times that they are "better" than normal air using ones but seeing as the kits are a little out of my price range I cannot put forward the money to get one. I don't want to risk buying another fan as if it doesn't work then I spend all that money for something which hasn't helped.

I realize this post is long and probably difficult to understand, so thank you in advance for any help that you can give what so ever.. it'll be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:27 PM

try cleaning the cpu and heat sink mating surfaces off spotless with alcohol wipes, apply new thermal paste and re-seat/install the heat sink/fan assembly, only use a small drop of thermal paste, too much is worse the not enough

Edited by mikey11, 26 June 2017 - 02:28 PM.

#3 MindlessBot

MindlessBot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:31 PM

Thank you for responding! I had partly figured that I should get some, my fan came with some already applied and didn't give a tube of it and so I didn't have to put any on it in the future. I was also told by the person I talked to that it wasn't important so I still guessed that it was just a precaution for a new fan or something. Is there a certain type of thermal paste or will any kind work? I seen some on Amazon and the like but seeing as there is various kinds.. I'm not so sure which would be the best.

Edited by MindlessBot, 26 June 2017 - 02:33 PM.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:35 PM

Thank you for responding! I had partly figured that I should get some, my fan came with some already applied and didn't give a tube of it and so I didn't have to put any on it in the future. I was also told by the person I talked to that it wasn't important so I still guessed that it was just a precaution for a new fan or something. Is there a certain type of thermal paste or will any kind work? I seen some on Amazon and the like but seeing as there is various kinds.. I'm not so sure which would be the best.

meh....i don't think there is too much difference in quality,

i normally buy it on ebay in a small tube 1.5g i think, which would be enough for about 20 applications

make sure the old stuff is cleaned off spotless, use alcohol wipes,

Edited by mikey11, 26 June 2017 - 02:37 PM.

#5 MindlessBot

MindlessBot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:40 PM

Oh I see! Thank you so much, you don't know how helpful that is! I'll head out right now, I'll be sure to get back to you on if it works or not, thank you again!

#6 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:40 PM

Arctic Silver, or the type of paste that Noctua supplies....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#7 MindlessBot

MindlessBot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:50 PM

Sorry for such a late response, I had gotten a new "air fan" while I was at the store, it was a bit too big for my case which I didn't find out until hours after putting it in.. So I had to take it back. I got a smaller one of the same brand and its working like a charm, no doubt to the thermal paste you two suggested. I want to thank you again, to clarify, it worked perfectly.. My computer isn't going above 35 C while being idle/with games open so it's wonderful. I can't express my thanks.. so just thank you so much Mikey11 and MDD1963 you've both been a huge help.

Edited by MindlessBot, 26 June 2017 - 10:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users