Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repairing Windows?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xtinctss

xtinctss

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:47 AM

Okay, I won't go into a BUNCH of detail here but I have XP home I bought from Newegg 2 years ago. Since then I have upgraded several times. Always, I have been able to re-activate windows (is that what its called) online automaticly. That was until my latest troubles. After my "upgrade" due to a dead MB, I had to call MS and get some lengthy number from the tech to type in to re-activate XP.

NOW......I am having sooooo much trouble with this new combo that I think it would be much better to just start over. Driver troubles ect. are driving me nuts. So my question is:

If I put the XP disc in and either repair or reinstall XP, will my origonal OEM product code still work and/or would I have to call MS to re-activate?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:49 AM

Motherboard replacement, except by the original manufacturer of the computer under warranty is an upgrade that MS considers a "new" computer" and triggers the need to activate Windows again, and unfortunately, if what you have is an OEM version of Windows, according to MS it is not transferable to a "new" computer under the licensing agreement.

You can certainly try to sell your situation to the MS Activation representative but be aware that you may be unsuccessful.

If what you purchased was a "retail" version of XP, it is transferable provided that the previous computer was destroyed or you can convince MS that you removed the operating system from it (which a mb replacement by definition certainly qualifies), and you should have no problem once your activation rep understands what you did.

A reinstall or a repair installation on the same mb should be no problem.
It may not even trigger the activation procedure unless you change more than two of the components MS uses to identify your install as valid, but even if you do need to activate again you should have no problem doing so.

Edited by Enthusiast, 11 September 2006 - 10:52 AM.

#3 xtinctss

xtinctss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:47 PM

I already got the reactivation from MS for the mew MB, Mem and video card. I told them on the phone that it is the same case, same PS, same HDD's and other stuff. I explained to them what happened to the MB and the guy said no Problem.

So you are saying that since I have it correctly activated that if I do a reinstall that I shouldn't have a problem?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:31 AM

It's generally hardware changes that kick off the activation wizard (although I've had it happen with a simple system restore on a Compaq).

Although the process is a bit tedious - it's worth the time and trouble just to go through it to get things right.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 11:05 AM

If you change the mb and reinstall XP you will probably have to authenticate again - but you seem to have the process down pat and they will probably have records showing previous fixes on your system, so my guess is you won't have a problem doing so.

#6 pricetron

pricetron

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:07 PM

Did you go into your system 32 file and back-up the....I am goping to try and remember the file names ...
WPA.bak and WPA.dbl...They are the activation files ...If you have another PC get a USB hard drive enclosure search for the file and then copy it to a floppy and paste that bleep into the system 32 file!
Hope it helps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users