Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Boot BCD errors Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ZuluFoxtrot

ZuluFoxtrot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 09:27 AM

hello! i just want to ask what's causing the boot bcd errors on windows 10? and guys, i am not looking for how to fix it, im looking for how to prevent this kind of errors in the future. thanks in advance! cheers! 001.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:01 AM

This type of problem is usually the result of file corruption.  There really isn't a lot you can do to prevent this from happening.  One of the most common ways that files become corrupt are bad sectors on a hdd.  Data can be lost when a sector is reallocated which would cause file corruption.  If you do a hard shutdown or have a system crash this too can cause file corruption.  It's possible to download a program which contains file corruption as well.

I know that you posted that you are not looking for information on how to fix this issue, but I'm posting that information anyway.

Click on the Start orb and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

cmd will appear above the Search box under Programs, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and then paste bootrec /rebuildbcd in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

You will see the following.

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

This may take a while, please do not stop the scan.

If this was successful you will receive the following message.

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ZuluFoxtrot

ZuluFoxtrot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:14 PM

This type of problem is usually the result of file corruption.  There really isn't a lot you can do to prevent this from happening.  One of the most common ways that files become corrupt are bad sectors on a hdd.  Data can be lost when a sector is reallocated which would cause file corruption.  If you do a hard shutdown or have a system crash this too can cause file corruption.  It's possible to download a program which contains file corruption as well.

I know that you posted that you are not looking for information on how to fix this issue, but I'm posting that information anyway.

Click on the Start orb and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

cmd will appear above the Search box under Programs, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and then paste bootrec /rebuildbcd in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

You will see the following.

Scanning all disks for Windows installations.

This may take a while, please do not stop the scan.

If this was successful you will receive the following message.

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

:thumbup2: this the kind of answer i was looking for. thanks a lot sir! now it is all clear to me.  :grinner:  do you think defragging my disk would make it worse? and here's a thing also:

whenever the boot bcd happens to me (in which it is frequently happening now) or some errors that i need a system restore, the only solution "that works for me" is

1. re-installing the OS because i end up stuck in the hard disk repairing blah blah blah this may take some time or just a black screen with a cursor.

*this is the solution i hated the most cause obviously im back at zero.  :grinner:  :grinner:  :grinner: 

2. and the very odd solution is i just insert my bootable usb, restart, sip my coffee, and just doing nothing then my laptop starts the normal way.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:14 AM

Edit:  It is not necessary to quote my posts, please don't.

It is evident that you have some problems with this computer.  If you wish to resolve these issues you need to let me know and I will help you. 

What is the make and model of this computer?

Did you upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1?

I am concerned about a potential problem with you hdd/ssd.  You have reinstalled the operating system and are still experiencing problems with what sounds like the operating system.  If there is a problem with the hdd/sdd it could be what is causing these problems.  For this reason I would suggest that you download and run SeaTools for Windows.

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click/tap on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click/tap on Help,then View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Edited by dc3, 28 June 2017 - 09:16 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users