Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dlance

Dlance

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:11 AM

Hello, I've in a really bad situation. My friend has given me a Windows XP Professional Disc with a cd key on it. So when I open the setup and install it there is an option, "New Installation" so I install a new copy. I think this was formatting as my computer was becoming to slow down a lot. When the process finished, I made my Administrator account and password. Then the computer restarted and after the 1 hr process of installing, I regret it. The windows desktop was zoomed in and the colours were 4 bit. I could't change it to 32 bit colours in the properties and the only option is 4 bit. I'm devastated and so everything is gone. I was able to post this because I restarted the comp and pressed f8 several times. I went to Enable VGA mode and then to Windows Pro XP (Tune up backup). SO, it had a backup of my old desktop. But everytime I turn my comp on it goes to the sluggish and formatted version of windows which 32bit cant be enabled. How can I remove the 4bit version and enable my old desktop >_< I dont want to keep presing f8 and having to change to normal settings. Help is very very very much appreciated !! Please reply ASAP, thank you !!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:15 AM

The drivers that you have installed are probably configured for your old operating system type. Go on to the website of the people who make your videocard, and download the latest drivers for your card, once you download those and install them, it should all work fine. If not, you may have a bios conflict, but 9/10 it will work... if your videocard is integrated onto your motherboard, you need to go to your motherboard's website and download drivers for it... Good luck tell me how it goes.

#3 Dlance

Dlance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 05:49 AM

Oh ok I see, How do I check what videocard I got? So you're saying that I have not installed drivers for the newly installed windows xp? And the old one has already been installed as 32 bit is accessible? Oh and the properties of the desktop on the formatted one doesnt show a plug and play monitor, it just has a default one, is this colliding with the drivers?

Oh and, it is almost impossible to setup an internet connection in the zoomed in view as I can only see half of windows. I cant change the properties of the monitor because the window is too big and I cant see the settings down. Would I be able to download the drivers from my backup windows or is there a way out ...

Edited by Dlance, 11 September 2006 - 05:58 AM.

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:22 PM

Well there is a good chance that the old windows drivers may not be able to work with the new... if this is a computer that you purchased from a store, you could try to find the driver disk that came with your computer.

First you can attempt to click on "add new hardware" located in my computer, then in control panel.

Otherwise, you can go to My Computer, go to your control panel, and double click on the system icon (if it's not there, on the right hand side of the folder there is a "switch to classic view") from the system popup, click on the tab labled hardware from there click on device manager, and then finally click on display adapter, most desktop pc's are built with an accelerated graphics card (plugged into an agp or pci) and then a backup that's on the planar board.

If you are still running an older version of windows, the options are the same, they are just located in different locations.

Unfortunately the one on the planar board, can not support much. If all this is hard to see, make your resolution smaller, and also make your colors count as low as possible, if possible you may want to start up into safe mode. You can do this by pressing f8 on your computers startup.

XP has the option to startup in safemode with network support, if possible choose this one, if not, it's ok, get your friend, and get a floppy disk for the drivers you will download onto his computer, and copy it to your floppy, and put it on your computer. When you go back to your computer, follow the steps above to get back to your graphics card, from there you can update the drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users