Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DUPLICATE FILE FINDER!!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 Marioo

Marioo

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:42 PM

Should I use any duplicate file finder because I have this computer for several years now and never used that for cleaning my computer!! But when I run on up ccleaner I can see a huge list of duplicated files but what to do in this case and which program to clhoose to clean my computer relating to duplicated files???   Thanks anyway!!!

Edited by hamluis, 25 June 2017 - 05:35 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:45 PM

Some files, such as Windows system files, are meant to have duplicates.

Use the built-in Disk Cleanup tool to start, and then download and run WinDirStat to see where you have the most usage...

https://windirstat.net/

#3 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:49 PM

I believe the tool was called

FC

A more elaborate technique is to use maybe a md5check sum technique.  It creates a checksum of the data content and it does not care if the file name is different.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:34 PM

As stated...system files which are duplicates...should probably be left alone.

Duplicate File Finder and similar files...are generally meant for use with duplicate data files which computer users create...such as graphics images or .mp3 files.

Louis

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:41 PM

Should I use any duplicate file finder because I have this computer for several years now and never used that for cleaning my computer!! But when I run on up ccleaner I can see a huge list of duplicated files but what to do in this case and which program to clhoose to clean my computer relating to duplicated files???   Thanks anyway!!!

CCleaner will remove duplicate files, but as mentioned above, do so with extreme caution.

Many system files are duplicates for a reason.

Many applications will put a version of a system file in their own folders. Removing those can cause an application to stop working.

So, bottom line, seeing lots of duplicate files is normal.

If it concerns you, focus on the ones that are related to your personal data.

Edited by jwoods301, 26 June 2017 - 06:48 PM.

#6 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:41 PM

There is a tool in the advanced system care suite that you can download from that tool to find duplicate files.

#7 Marioo

Marioo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 30 June 2017 - 04:00 PM

Thanks a lot to all of you!!  skipe  mario_sp23

#8 MicMac33

MicMac33

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 27 July 2018 - 01:44 AM

Attention, all duplicate files are not to be deleted!

The easiest way is to use software like Duplicate Media Finder (my favorite) https://duplicate-media-finder.kdo-rg.com.

This kind of software warns if you try to erase system files. You can also replace duplicates with symbolic links or hard links.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users