Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Adblock plus -> Filters <- In Google chrome

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 02:09 PM

Hello there,

i use Adblock plus with these filters:

-> Adblock Warning removal List.

-> Malware domains (malware protection)

-> Fanboy ultimate List from: https://www.fanboy.co.nz/filters.html

But doe's google chrome sandbox extension's, plug-ins and Adblock plus?

and can Adblock plus filters harm or acces my Windows?

and are Filters dangerous? can it do something bad?

and are these 3 filters good to use? (use these filters about 2 years) on google chrome 

-lett me know Brent   :)

:bananas:    :bounce:

Edited by Doghrn, 25 June 2017 - 02:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,873 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 02:44 PM

Extensions run as part of a given Chrome instance so, as such, they're as sandboxed as Chrome itself is.

Adblock Plus has a sterling reputation and has been around for a very, very long time now.  While I suppose it is possible for some malicious third party to find a way to use any extension as a way to exploit a system, I've never heard of it happening with Adblock Plus.

This is not an extension that I give a second thought to and have been using it in Firefox, Chrome, and IE (though I almost never use IE anymore) for years and years.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 02:56 PM

I would recommend uBlock Origin instead of AdBlock Plus.

https://davescomputertips.com/best-firefox-speed-boost-in-years/

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:52 PM

jwoods301,

I'm going to give uBlock Origin a try for two reasons:

1. It combines the roles of Ghostery and Adblock Plus into one extension/add-on.
  2. Firefox as a whole is a memory hog and I don't know how much of that to attribute to Adblock Plus.

Thanks for the tip, as this looks quite promising.  The "uBlock Plus Extra" additional extension under Chrome looks interesting, too, and I've added it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:55 PM

It is also available for Edge as well.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,873 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:01 PM

I saw that.  But I always keep one "naked" browser for when I absolutely have to get to something that absolutely refuses to work unless it has no ad blocking, anti-tracking, etc., add-ons.  

Edge is the current "naked browser of choice" for me under Windows 10 as I've been using both Firefox and Chrome as my primary ones for years now.  It's nice to know that it exists for Edge, though, as this could change at some point in the future.

~ Mark Twain

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:21 PM

I saw that.  But I always keep one "naked" browser for when I absolutely have to get to something that absolutely refuses to work unless it has no ad blocking, anti-tracking, etc., add-ons.  

Edge is the current "naked browser of choice" for me under Windows 10 as I've been using both Firefox and Chrome as my primary ones for years now.

Many good websites started becoming 'too smart' (which is normal and in their own interest; I understand that) these days with catching the usage of ad-blocking extensions & add-ons. This is why I don't like browsing with ad-blockers - it becomes as frustrating as it is with just seeing the advertisements. Forbes.com comes to mind. (Unless they've changed recently) :)

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:24 PM

uBlock Origin is more than an ad blocker...sort of like a firewall in a browser.

You can control which sites get ads blocked.

Edited by jwoods301, 25 June 2017 - 06:15 PM.

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:27 PM

Oh, that is nice! So, in essence you can 'white-list' certain websites not to get ad-blocked, which would eliminate the reason to have a 'naked' browser, as Brian put it, on your computer.:thumbup2:

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,873 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:08 PM

Oh, that is nice! So, in essence you can 'white-list' certain websites not to get ad-blocked, which would eliminate the reason to have a 'naked' browser, as Brian put it, on your computer. :thumbup2:

I agree it's nice.  But nothing substitutes for a "naked browser" when speed is of the essence.

I've gone the whitelisting/blacklisting route with other add-ons/extensions and, believe me, it gets insanely complicated.  This is particularly so for network television (USA) websites when you want to stream content.  I have resorted to using the "naked browser" when I just couldn't take trying to figure out what was going on as far as what had to be whitelisted.

If you add in HTTPS everywhere, which I have, that adds another complicating factor.

Security/privacy does come at a price:  occasional frustration!

Edited by britechguy, 25 June 2017 - 06:09 PM.

~ Mark Twain

#11 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:18 PM

One way to monitor resource use of web pages and add-ons in Firefox is entering about:performance in the address bar, followed by Enter.

#12 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 06:18 PM

Oh, yeah, that also. I forgot about that. Some websites, as you pointed, have different domains for their different content with different protocols and other such software engineering stuff that I do not fully understand, etc., which makes even the process of white-listing annoying at times. Guess, the best root would be precisely what you've done - it has the best cost/benefit ratio.:)

#13 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:00 AM

So filters in Adblock plus or other adblock filter program's can not enter the pc, files or does anything harmfull to the pc/browser like i see from the messages here..

so i don't need to worry about these 3 filters and are filters not just a tiny script? that blocks contents or i'm wrong? 

sorry for my bad english :s 

#14 Guest_Doghen_*

Guest_Doghen_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:17 AM

Hmm, maybe i give uBlock a try,

but wich filters can i use for that (i need malware protection filter, or different good filters to use together..)

Lett me know - cheers brent. :D 

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,873 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:55 AM

Every blessed ad blocker that I know of, including uBlock Origin, comes with a set or sets of rules that get used by default or can be added on to the defaults.

You can look on the uBlock Origins Options page under the 3rd Party Filters tab to see what subscriptions it uses.   It uses EasyList and EasyPrivacy as two of them, and these are also both used by Ad Block Plus.   No one is going to reinvent the wheel when there is a third party who's been maintaining the lists of things to block for years and years now.

These utilities, and the people who create them, are no slouches when it comes to knowing what needs to be blocked and when.  If you do not have experience with this stuff at the developer level you're far better off accepting the selections that the developers have made.

~ Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users