Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting 7a BSOD in games all the time

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rayzi

rayzi

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 AM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:36 PM

Hello there!

Firs of all, here's a bit of info regarding my situation.

Recently I've bought a Norton Security a couple of days ago and, well, strange things began to happen.

During the previous 2016 year I've experienced only 2 BSODs.

For the last two days - right after I've purchased NIS - I've experienced 7 of them already.  

First one, while PC was in Idle state (maybe NIS started a full scan?): ntoskrnl.exe (address isn't listed for some reason). 

That was the only BSOD with 7e. 

Every next BSOD was 7a. Every one of them happened during in less than 30 minutes after the game starts.

I have my OS installed on C (SSD), Steam installed on D and game installed on H.

What I've tried already: checked for malware; checked HDDs and tried to fix if there were problems with them (chkdsk, SeaTools, CrystalDiskInfo, Victoria), checked GPU memory (VMT) and RAM (mdsched, memtest). Changed the SATA cable for H and connected it to different connector on a motherboard. Changed the game path from H to D. 

Oh, and one more thing.

The last time I've launched a game there wasn't a BSOD this time, but as soon as I got to main menu HDDs started to 'click' (like when they are going online\offline) and to prevent any possible damage to the system I've closed the game (maybe there wasn't enough time for BSOD to pop up?).

Once back to the desktop, I've discovered that all HDDs except for SSD (where OS is installed) are gone from My Computer, Device Manager and Control Panel.

Considering all this and the fact that HDD or RAM tests haven't discovered any problems, or the fact that changing installation path of the game to the different HDD, and trying to launch it via new cable and port... could it actually be the Motherboard is the one to blame? 

· OS - Windows 7 x64 Retail

· Age of system around ~3-4yrs

· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? Yes, around 1yr ago maybe, but can't tell for sure.

· CPU i5-4460

· GPU MSI gtx770 2gb

· MotherBoard MSI Z97 Gaming 5

· Power Supply - Cooler Master V650 650w

· Desktop

Help please?

P.S. Forgot to say - tried 3 times, Sysnative always stuck at 'waiting for system info'. So collected data may miss something.

Attached Files

Edited by rayzi, 25 June 2017 - 01:38 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rayzi

rayzi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:40 AM

Just got a new BSOD with the same 7a error. This time it happened while using a videoplayer.

Attached Files

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:52 PM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:15 AM

Regretfully, I can no longer afford to spend time analyzing systems with Windows 7 and earlier OS's.

My suggestions for them are:

1)  Perform a "clean" install of Windows to see if that stops the BSOD's:  http://www.carrona.org/canned.html#clean

2)  If that doesn't stop the BSOD's, then first try these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html 
If all of the hardware diagnostics pass, try this procedure (designed for desktops, not real easy for laptops):  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 rayzi

rayzi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

Sad to hear that. I like Win7 more than Win10 :(

Tried running game once again and, again, all HDDs (except for SSD with OS) disconnected.

Since I've changed sata cables on them and tried different ports, and since all of them disconnect at the same time, to me it looks like it is either the corrupted system files or borked motherboard. First can be checked via reinstalling the system, but is there a way to check if the problem is in motherboard?

Ed. Or the PSU.

Edited by rayzi, 26 June 2017 - 08:28 AM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:10 PM

Follow my last link to rule out other components.

There are no accurate motherboard tests - so you have to rule out everything else in order to firmly place blame on the motherboard.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 rayzi

rayzi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:59 PM

Okay, so I had reinstalled the system and right now I have a clean system. Reset CMOS, updated BIOS and firmware of SSD, just one disc is connected - SSD with OS; drivers, basic programs (incl. bluescreenviewer), etc. Was about to connect HDD and make an Acronis backup there just in case, but...

So, right now I need to clarify something.

I tried to plug in one of my HDDs, which I did, but once I've pressed the power button the PC just 'clicked', tried to start, but failed (like, you know, when BIOS is corrupted and won't let you to boot unless CMOS is reset, for example). Unplugged - booted as normal.

I don't remember having this problem last time I was reinstalling the Windows. I thought there weren't any problems with connecting old HDDs with data to the new PC. Did I do something wrong or... does it have something to do with PSU actually?

My SSD is connected the same way the normal HDD would - with 2 sata cables. So could it be actually not the interface sata cables, but rather the sata power cable connected to this HDD (since SSD seems to work just fine)? Or am I overthinking?

As of right now I'm planning to do follow:

*Install the game on the SSD and see if there is a problem. Just did that (but with another game as there wasn't enough space on SSD for the game I tested previously), no problems for the 15 minutes of gameplay. Either need to play longer or maybe it's just that there isn't any problem with that.

*Reconnect SSD to another port. Don't like that idea, I think it may result in a complete mess.

*Connect another HDD to the same sata power cable which I tried to connect to the previous HDD.

*Connect the same HDD to the sata power cable SSD is using. No result.

Edited by rayzi, 27 June 2017 - 10:38 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:35 PM

Only connect 1 drive in order to start things - that'll be the boot drive and the Windows drive.

Leave the other drives disconnected while installing/testing - that way, if they have a problem, it won't stop you from installing Windows.

SATA drives (either HDD or SSD) have 2 cables:

- a power cable (the longer of the 2 plugs), and

- a data cable (the shorter of the 2 plugs)

The other end of the data cable plugs into the motherboard

The other end of the power cable plugs into the power supply

Next, it never hurts to make an Acronis image - go ahead and do it (as long as you have the space for it)

The PC just "clicking" (this presumes the problem is from installing/connecting the other HDD/SSD), could be:

- bad HDD/SSD

- bad cable

- bad motherboard/PSU/other components

- loose/dirty plugs

My point here is to keep the system running with a "clean" install for a while BEFORE you install games, etc
That way you can see if the system works well.  If that's the case, then you've just ruled out the attached hardware and Windows as a problem.

That means that your problem is either with the hardware that isn't connected - or with the 3rd party software that you install.

Seeing problems with connecting the HDD - I have to wonder if that's the cause?

Finally, I'm not a hardware expert.  I'd suggest posting over in the Internal Hardware forums for more expert advice:    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/7/internal-hardware/ 

#8 rayzi

rayzi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 03:39 PM

Luckily I was able to borrow a PSU from my friend and, well, here's the funny thing:

My PSU - 650W, 80+ Gold, etc etc, 11.088v in HWM, ~12 via voltmeter (what the hell). HDDs are disconnecting.

Friend's PSU - 500W, pretty budget model, 11.175v in HWM (what), ~12 via voltmeter. 1 hour of test run in game from HDD = no disconnects.

Too bad I didn't have a chance to borrow PSU a week ago, could've saved me a lot of time pinpointing the problem hah.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 06:17 AM

I'm glad that you figured this out.  Thanks for letting us know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users