Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Hot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 channel8

channel8

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 03:57 AM

Hi, This is my second question in a 3 part question series. When I touch underneath my Viao FS550 laptop it is really hot. Obviously, there will be some warmth, but this seems like unusually hot heat. I recently decided to put a jel pack has been in the freezer underneath it...............do you think this is a good idea and (or) doing more harm than good? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:05 AM

Well, when things are on for a very long time they will get hot. However if there is no warning, (as most computers these days are designed with) then I wouldn't worry about it. However i wouldn't leave your computer on constantly. If you want you can reboot your computer and enter the setup and check the temperature of your cpu, but It'd probably read the norm. The case gets hot, but the inside generally stays a safe temperature. Laptops number one heat (probably) come from the battery having a constant charge, so when you are done with the laptop shut it down. And don't bother with the ice pack, it may help... but it'd probably just extend the lifetime of your laptop. What are the other two questions?

#3 Sway

Sway

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:39 PM

I have had the same problem with all of my laptops. My first Dell laptop only lasted 1 semester before it melted from the heat and wouldn't even boot, and I was using it on a computer desk where it could ventilate. The one I'm using right now also gets uncomfortably hot but even so, I can only rarely hear the fan come on to cool it down.

I heard in the chat the other day that you can buy a pad with fans or something to put underneath your laptop? Previously I've tried putting the laptop on something metallic in the hope that it would conduct away some of the heat but whether this really works or not, I don't know.

I think as long as you leave the sides/back free so that air can circulate, you don't hear the fan come on too much and you don't put it on your knee/bed/other carpeted surface, it should be fine. But all 3 of the laptops I've owned have heated up enough to fry an egg on.

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:51 PM

Hm.. well shutting down for use is always the best option but, if you need to use it constantly I see your point. keeping it on a hardsurface should help, but since it hasn't worked in the past, we are going to throw that one out the window. since keeping it cool probably is necesity, it would probably be best for a permanent solution, I have also heard of the device you can buy to cool your laptop, but to me, it seems like your trying to cool down a stove by blowing air onto the frying pan. Ventilation is key... however most laptops aren't made to ventilate... Interesting query, modifying any laptop is risky business, however i see no problem in telling the cmos to tell the fan to run more often, this will make the computer die faster because of the extending power, but it may help overheating. I would also try taking a can of compressed air and seeing if you can clean the inside. Dust is a big factor in heat, and it may be causing this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users