Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Photobucket

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#91 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:12 PM

I had opened an account at facebook at the request of relatives.  The day that photobucket pulled this change in their Terms of Service I had gone there.  There were about a dozen people that had their accounts "restricted".  This was my first inkling of just how wide spread this was.  And yes, this is going to cost photopucket big time.  I've reached the point where I feel that they deserve any and everything that goes against them.  Get a rope! <_<

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#92 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:15 AM

Photobucket is targeting those with a free account.  Here are the new Terms of Service for a free account.

...This is the response I received from photobucket when I questioned them regarding my account being "suspended"-

..In order to continue using Photobucket to host your images, please upgrade to a Plus 500 plan. Our Plus 500 Plan Includes: ad free browsing, full resolution photo storage, 3rd party hosting & priority customer support.

Thanks, so because I've had their 'Plus 20' account for several years (at about 25 dollars/19GB pounds per year) it'd explain why my pics are still displaying in forums, as only Free account holders are getting clobbered.

But I'm puzzled as to why PB apparently won't allow Free holders to upgrade to 'Plus 20' or one of the other two plans (Plus 50 and Plus 100) and insist they must take out an expensive $399 'Plus 500' account.

(I sent them an email asking that last week but so far they haven't replied. If they do i'll post it in this thread)

For the record here's their currently advertised account structure which is misleading if a 'Plus 500' is the only one available to newcomers-

pbuck-plans_zpswaoqqqxj.jpg

Edited by MickinPlymouthUK, 08 July 2017 - 01:32 AM.

#93 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,592 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:10 AM

I had opened an account at facebook at the request of relatives.  The day that photobucket pulled this change in their Terms of Service I had gone there.  There were about a dozen people that had their accounts "restricted".  This was my first inkling of just how wide spread this was.  And yes, this is going to cost photopucket big time.  I've reached the point where I feel that they deserve any and everything that goes against them.  Get a rope! <_<

With Facebook recently surpassing the 2 billion user mark, hope that there's enough ropes to pass around. :lol:

Other than Twitter, don't know of any social media that comes close to the number of Facebook users, so there's going to be a steep price for Photobucket to pay, word spreads like wildfire there. :)

Cat

ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer PC. EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 GPU! 4K!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/NjsgihLlHYqFtSZ6Oqw23I8  (Updated 09/04/2017)

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA GTX 1060 FTW + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk  (Updated 04/12/2017))                                                                       

Dell XPS 8700, Revived from the Dead, EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi  (Updated 05/17/2017)

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming AURA, with a cool running FX-8350 CPU!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/GUHywCAGd5NEjBvRp8KWMoW (Updated 05/30/2017)

Dell Dimension 2400 Rebuild, Done the Right Way!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HeJBUMjlYTvLlUNejO0shlr (Updated 06/25/2017)    

#94 alwaysFlOoReD

alwaysFlOoReD

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:08 PM

Photobucket is targeting those with a free account.  Here are the new Terms of Service for a free account.

...This is the response I received from photobucket when I questioned them regarding my account being "suspended"-

..In order to continue using Photobucket to host your images, please upgrade to a Plus 500 plan. Our Plus 500 Plan Includes: ad free browsing, full resolution photo storage, 3rd party hosting & priority customer support.

Thanks, so because I've had their 'Plus 20' account for several years (at about 25 dollars/19GB pounds per year) it'd explain why my pics are still displaying in forums, as only Free account holders are getting clobbered.

But I'm puzzled as to why PB apparently won't allow Free holders to upgrade to 'Plus 20' or one of the other two plans (Plus 50 and Plus 100) and insist they must take out an expensive $399 'Plus 500' account.

(I sent them an email asking that last week but so far they haven't replied. If they do i'll post it in this thread)

For the record here's their currently advertised account structure which is misleading if a 'Plus 500' is the only one available to newcomers-

pbuck-plans_zpswaoqqqxj.jpg

The plus 500 ISN'T the only plan. But it is the only plan since June 28/2017 that allows hot-linking [ third party hosting or embeding the pic into the forum post].

Edited by alwaysFlOoReD, 08 July 2017 - 10:09 PM.

#95 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,592 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:28 AM

alwaysFlOoReD, that being the case, may Photobucket die a painful, agonizing presence on the Internet, only a small percentage of the '1%'ers' will pay that price just to post links of photos, not when there's free or low cost options available, or included in the Amazon Prime & similar bundles. :)

What good is a 'PLUS 100' plan when one cannot post or link any images? That's $120/year for bulk storage only, heck I'd do that for half the price & still make a huge profit, just would have to upgrade the ISP tier to Business Class & purchase a couple of NAS servers, as the need (& cash flow) arises, larger drives or more servers can be added. Best to max out capacity of drives from the beginning, even if first only two can be purchased. I'd gladly store 100GB of data for $5/month & if I had the know how to do so (likely no harder than learning to use a new & free piece of software), would allow posting of most images for that $9.99/month price (family friendly type only). There's a no-cost Linux option for everything, to include servers of all types & sizes, and the majority of sites does use Linux of one brand or the other. Making the 'PLUS 500' deal more ransomware than ever. :thumbdown:

Think about it, 100GB of data isn't crap for that price, one can purchase two 1TB WD Blues on promo (around $100 total shipped) & store over 9x the amount, keeping one at home or business & the other in a safe place, such as a deposit box at their bank or other place of their choosing, swapping each weekly & not worrying over anyone's TOS within reason. Just post what's needed when required & no more. :)

If one has an extra no longer computer not in use that's still semi-modern, there's a homebrew server, one can then use for an OS either Ubuntu Server (more user friendly) or FreeNAS, harder to learn, yet those who uses the brand loves it. The main expense then becomes storage, there's cases & I have one in the Fractal Design R5 which holds a total of 9 HDD's, not counting the pair of two 2.5" SSD's behind the MB, or any NVMe options, if the MB will boot from one. Obviously an added SATA card would be needed, these can be had for as low as $50 for a quality model, $30 for a cheap one. There's a server with up to 90TB of HDD's (not counting SSD's) waiting to be placed into duty. :thumbsup:

While the above may be an oversimplification, there's small or up & coming Tech Forums running in that manner, so don't see why a image hosting site can't be started the same way. :)

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 09 July 2017 - 04:38 AM.

ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer PC. EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 GPU! 4K!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/NjsgihLlHYqFtSZ6Oqw23I8  (Updated 09/04/2017)

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA GTX 1060 FTW + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk  (Updated 04/12/2017))                                                                       

Dell XPS 8700, Revived from the Dead, EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi  (Updated 05/17/2017)

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming AURA, with a cool running FX-8350 CPU!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/GUHywCAGd5NEjBvRp8KWMoW (Updated 05/30/2017)

Dell Dimension 2400 Rebuild, Done the Right Way!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HeJBUMjlYTvLlUNejO0shlr (Updated 06/25/2017)    

#96 Blackgate7

Blackgate7

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:23 AM

Just as we vote or go to rallies to be heard, we must let Companies like PHOTOBUCKET.COM hear from us if we really feel the way we do and are affected by their recent actions. SO, HERE IS HOW:

As a Public Service, Here are unadvertised hard to find Photobucket Direct Telephone Numbers in the U.S: (303)226-6801, Press 1 to Enter any of these Extensions as follows: Extension #5154 for Accounting Manager, #5163 , or any of the following Internal Extensions: 5104, 5107, 5121, 5122, 5127, 5130, 5132, 5135, 5137, 5139, 5149, 5175, 5177, as well as many other telephone extension number sequences in between the ones listed above. Alternatively, you can surpass their telephone menu system by dialing any of the extension directly, by dialing (303)+228+The 4-digit Extension Number(s).

LET THEM HEAR FROM YOU!   At the very least, you will have the opportunity to leave a detailed message for any of the extensions and Let them know that they did not have to resort to this method of getting rid of their users. Since everyone who used Photobucket entered the site thru the front door, they could have easily used a pop-up banner each time you logged-on to inform you about the upcoming changes in their terms and business model, with a reasonable grace period and well in advance of their deadline. 

You would think that with as many advertisements that the users had to tolerate, photobucket would have been able to successfully fund their former business model. Resorting to ransom and blackmail tactics are the tools of a failing company who has little to loose and even less in business longevity.

PLEASE FORWARD TO AS MANY PEOPLE YOU KNOW TO BE AFFECTED BY PHOTOBUCKET.COM

REMEMBER, REPETITION (CALLS, MESSAGES) IS THE BEST WAY TO GET HEARD AND TO CAUSE A CHANGE IN TIME!

Best of Luck to Everyone!

#97 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:36 AM

Do you honestly believe that with the huge number of people who have had accounts "restricted" or held for ransomed that photobucket isn't already inundated with hundreds of thousands of complaints, threats, and best wishes while they burn in hell?  The "powers that be", such as they are, have flat plain lied repeatedly to the general public.  Photobucket Support  has lied to us.  One of the questions they address is "Are my photos safe"?  Photobuckets response to this is "Yes! All your photos are still available by logging into your Photobucket Account. Photobucket has only restricted the ability to view your photos on
3rd party sites."  I have enough missing images that even if I were to pay the ransom a large number of sequential images are going to remain missing as they are at this moment.  Unless you can come up with a legal angle which could be used in a class action lawsuit I doubt that anyone is going to get any further with communicating with these thieves.   I'm unfollowing this topic as I believe that everything useful has already been addressed.  Anything further is akin to beating a dead horse.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#98 Blackgate7

Blackgate7

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:25 PM

dc3 and others:

FIRST- The issue is not whether Photobucket owes users to provide Free hot linking, they do not, however, the issue is with the way they conducted this change and affected so many people and sites. For many, the impact is an economic one in the way of extra time it takes to set-up with a new image storage service provider , to transfer the images, even if you are one of the wise ones who backed-up your images. This is an impact and loss in Money to many people. This is true if you believe time is money.

SECOND- Many people HAVE tried to reach Photobucket since this ordeal began, but the Listed Phone numbers will not land you anywhere to even leave a message.

99% of all user communication attempts with Photobucket has been via Tweets, Facebook and Similar and what kind of results has that yielded given their online response  The Phone number mined and provided in my previously posted comments were not available anywhere until added to Wiki and here and are a more direct way of contact and an actual way of being heard and in that they can land you at the desks of actual people working there.   This will allow you to either reach a live person or to at least leave a detailed message at one or more extensions.  It is more lije targeted communication like FAX message used to be prior to becomming outlawed (though I still received those). So, point being that the method of communication matters and is relative to effectiveness of message being heard and in the pressure it creates on the subject. 

However, if you feel one type of communication is as good as another or that more than enough has been done in that regard, then lets just give up.

Best Regards

#99 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,592 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:55 AM

I'm unfollowing this topic as I believe that everything useful has already been addressed.  Anything further is akin to beating a dead horse.

I agree & so am myself, this horse has been beaten to death here & will continue to be elsewhere.

While I have no issue with those who continues to best them deservingly, the bottom line is nothing will change. Photobucket has made their bed, now let them wallow in it & rapidly become a corporation of yesteryear, like Yahoo, AOL & others. :)

Cat

#100 MickinPlymouthUK

MickinPlymouthUK

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:02 PM

My PB pics are still displaying fine in various forums because I've had a PB 'Plus 20' paid account for several years, but PB is still a bit clunky at times, for example today their site refuses to recognise my password and I can't get in.
Anyway my trust in PB has flown out the window and I'm going to switch to another image host.
Can anybody reccomend one?
Thanks

#101 alwaysFlOoReD

alwaysFlOoReD

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:12 PM

Can anybody reccomend one?
Thanks

I started another thread of "photobucket alternatives" linked below. I've listed all the sites that people from various forums have contributed. I don't have a recommendation as yet.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/650637/photobucket-alternatives/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users