Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 update.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Blackstar57

Blackstar57

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:33 AM

I've been looking around for some kind of solution but haven't seen this particular problem with this new update. My Wife's computer is stuck in a very annoying loop. She will get a pop-up telling her that her pc will be re-started soon or she can restart now. Then her screen tells her that Windows is downloading and installing updates. Do not turn off your computer.

Then when it restarts it says that Windows is preparing your computer, etc. Then after several minutes it pops up with "We couldn't complete the update. Undoing changes". Then after another several minutes it will sometimes do it all over or will just reboot to her original home page.

Under System settings it shows the update is still there.

Her computer is running Windows 10 Pro, 32 bit. ver 1607. The update trying to install is KB4022715.

I'm hoping someone can give me a couple clues and a direction I can go to get this thing resolved.

Thank you in advance for any help or information.... Glenn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:46 AM

The downloaded updates could be corrupted please follow instructions at below link.

"Windows Update Won’t Install Anything"

https://www.dost-tech.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=822

Posted Image

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:47 AM

It's all absolutely normal
Windows can not install updates normally if the current Windows is corrupted or the temporary downloaded files folder is full of old or corrupted files.
Typically, it helps to clean up the %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder
Then you restart and download the updates again.
If also this do not help, run system files check, (run cmd.exe as admin and then use command sfc.exe /scannow).
If there are errors, what cannot repair, is time to speak how and what do for next.
Still run sfc.exe /scannow and clean folder

%windir%\SoftwareDistribution\Download

#4 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:59 AM

Thank you FreeBooter and zainmax. I will get started on this asap. I did run sfc.exe/scannow last evening and didn't find any mistakes. Didn't run chkdsk yet.

Glenn

#5 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:48 AM

I ran the cmd prompts that FreeBooter suggested and they ran ok. But when I rebooted the computer my options were shut down and update or restart and update. Anyway, it rebooted and in the update and security folder it is now downloading the same update again. Maybe this time it will install...

I just got called into work fro a few hours and will be back to check this again later...

Thanks again... Glenn

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:33 AM

If this last round didn't get the update to work (KB4022715 is one of the late cumulative updates to Version 1607) were I you I would just go to the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page, download the Windows 10 ISO via the Media Creation Tool, create the bootable media of your choice, then use the instructions here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-creators-update/617a37da-8fc0-4f33-a3eb-59fe9082f925

to use the bootable media to upgrade to Creators Update (Version 1703).  The "Keep personal files and apps" choice, which is shown in their step-by-step screen shots, is the in-place upgrade from Version 1607 to Version 1703.

As always, I strongly suggest that one take a full system image backup immediately prior to doing the upgrade.   Also, as an aside, I have had far less luck creating bootable USB media directly using the Media Creation Tool than I have just downloading the ISO and using Rufus (or similar) to create the bootable USB.  I generally prefer a bootable DVD on systems that have optical drives.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 Blackstar57

Blackstar57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 269 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 02:10 PM

If this last round didn't get the update to work (KB4022715 is one of the late cumulative updates to Version 1607) were I you I would just go to the Microsoft Windows 10 Download Page, download the Windows 10 ISO via the Media Creation Tool, create the bootable media of your choice, then use the instructions here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-creators-update/617a37da-8fc0-4f33-a3eb-59fe9082f925

to use the bootable media to upgrade to Creators Update (Version 1703).  The "Keep personal files and apps" choice, which is shown in their step-by-step screen shots, is the in-place upgrade from Version 1607 to Version 1703.

As always, I strongly suggest that one take a full system image backup immediately prior to doing the upgrade.   Also, as an aside, I have had far less luck creating bootable USB media directly using the Media Creation Tool than I have just downloading the ISO and using Rufus (or similar) to create the bootable USB.  I generally prefer a bootable DVD on systems that have optical drives.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users