Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual core and VM's

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 arakiri112

arakiri112

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 03:34 AM

I want to buy a new laptop. For my IT studies next year I'll need to run 4 virtual machines (1 windows server, 1 linux server, 1 windows os and a firewall) I don't really know what we will exactly do with that (learning to administrate a fake network I guess),...

So I need a new pc and I saw one with I7 7500U, 16gb ram and a SSD. Will this processor be good enough ? Because I'd rather buy a "thin" ultrabook than a gaming laptop with a I7 HQ (because I'll run those vm's just for one lesson)...

If someone have this processor and already tried to run multiple VM it could be cool to give your impression about this processor :).

Edited by hamluis, 25 June 2017 - 05:26 AM.
Moved from Buying New to VMs - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:31 AM

You will want something with lots of RAM and CPU. Running four VMs concurrently will consume a good deal of the host's resources. If anything, you can always sell this one when the class is over and buy an ultrabook to replace it. But I wouldn't trust a low-end ultrabook to handle that kind of VM workload.

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:24 PM

I'm running 4 VM's with Ryzen 7 1700 Octa core. With dual core I expect it to be quite slow experience.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

I have run virtual machines on a dual core before, its a bit slow but it can be done.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users