Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

These few items cleaned with AdwCleaner mean what?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:42 AM

This computer had NO recent problems, behaves well, and after using AdwCleaner, is expected to continue to operate well.  I just downloaded and ran AdwCleaner v6.047, ADW found three items, I let ADW clean those items and ADW upon finish computer restart, gave me a log report.

Laptop computer, Toshiba Satellite,  Window Vista sp2, 32 bit

I am curious what these three items mean and what they are.

This is the log report, with some privacy items hidden in this message composition:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

# AdwCleaner v6.047 - Logfile created 24/06/2017 at 23:23:53
# Updated on 19/05/2017 by Malwarebytes
# Database : 2017-06-23.1 [Server]
# Operating System : Windows Vista ™ Home Premium Service Pack 2 (X86)
# Username : hiding user's name
# Running from : C:\Users\username\Desktop\AdwCleaner.exe
# Mode: Clean
# Support : https://www.malwarebytes.com/support

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Folders ] *****

***** [ Files ] *****

[-] File deleted: C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\kxinnt0w.default\searchplugins\safesearch.xml

***** [ DLL ] *****

***** [ WMI ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Scheduled Tasks ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

[-] Key deleted: HKU\S-1-5-21-3841573257-732107269-2487740105-1000\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{AFBCB7E0-F91A-4951-9F31-58FEE57A25C4}
[#] Key deleted on reboot: HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes\{AFBCB7E0-F91A-4951-9F31-58FEE57A25C4}

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

:: "Tracing" keys deleted
:: Winsock settings cleared

C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C0].txt - [1170 Bytes] - [24/06/2017 23:23:53]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [1089 Bytes] - [11/09/2015 00:43:38]
C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S2].txt - [1545 Bytes] - [24/06/2017 23:16:44]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[C0].txt - [1389 Bytes] ##########

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------End of Report Log----------

One more thing:

I tried running a scan with AdwCleaner about two years ago on this same computer.  A FEW items were found, some files and some registries.  More than just three items found in tonights session.  At that time two years ago, I decided NOT to do a Cleaning; just allowed the "threats" to remain.  Still from that time up to and continuing through tonight, no computer problems; no signs of any kind of infection.

I just want to understand. 

Edited by hamluis, 25 June 2017 - 05:28 AM.
Moved from MRL to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:06 AM

AdwCleaner is designed to search for (generic and static detecton) and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, browser extensions, add-ons/plug-ins, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware as well as related services, registry entries (values, keys), files, folders and potentially unwanted extensions. An example list of what is detected and removed can be found here.

In your case, AdwCleaner removed an .xml file related to Safe Search adware in Firefox Profiles and two registry keys related to SearchScopes, another adware program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:15 AM

AdwCleaner is designed to search for (generic and static detecton) and remove many potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), adware, toolbars, browser hijackers, browser extensions, add-ons/plug-ins, browser helper objects (BHOs) and other junkware as well as related services, registry entries (values, keys), files, folders and potentially unwanted extensions. An example list of what is detected and removed can be found here.

In your case, AdwCleaner removed an .xml file related to Safe Search adware in Firefox Profiles and two registry keys related to SearchScopes, another adware program.

I am finally beginning to find at least a little bit about one of the items using an internet search.

This, about safesearch, although not really sure what it means :  https://www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/7049-remove-safe-search-redirect-toolbar

As I said, the computer scanned with AdwCleaner has shown NO recent problems, and use of Firefox has been fine - both before and after the scan and cleaning using AdwCleaner.  I therefore wonder if the three found and cleaned items were unimportant or potential risks for later.  Ordinarily, I scan that computer using Norton Security which has not found any problems for at least a few months.  (and only maybe one item caught, risk removed, during the last maybe 12 months).

I'm still interested in other information about the three items if anyone knows or can find.  Meanwhile I try another few minutes looking the the google search list...

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,743 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 27 June 2017 - 05:38 AM

Adware.SafeSearch
SearchScopes Adware
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016