Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MalwareBytes has been scanning for over 24 hours, cycling through "imageio"s

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Weirdmon

Weirdmon

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:35 PM

Hey all, I was wondering if my problem is normal. 
This all happened within the last few days when retrieved my hacked Minecraft account back. Long story short: got it back, changed email and pass for my account and by the next day my email was hacked into along with a reply from Minecraft being read, which resulted in the loss of my account again.

I am currently running Windows 10 with (I believe) the most recent updates.

I ran a scan on Windows defender, nothing was found, so I decided to kick it up a notch and tried scanning with SpyBot Search and Destroy, which worked, however it paused once it got to a file named: Fraud.UPSInvoice. I decided to Google the file and it's looking like it's linked with a Trojan horse. I am currently having trouble manually deleting this, but I will post another topic about that. So I did some more research and found out it could be rooted, which lead me to download Malwarebytes Anti Rootkit, I started the scan at approximately 9:00PM -CST last night, it is currently 6:30PM and the scan is still running. The scan is not frozen, it's still scanning, but I think it might be a bit slower than it was going last night. It's stuck in my temp folder, the folder it's been scanning is:

C:\users\ALEX\APPDATA\LOCAL\TEMP\imageio67824700

And the imageio numbers are changing, but I don't really know what they mean. I checked the status of it when I woke up this morning, it was scanning in the same directory, along with the same imageio but with different numbers...I tried looking this up on Google and the keywords "taking a long time to scan" only brought up people who were running scans for 8 hours at most. It's been almost 24 hours since I started the scan.

What should I do? Should I let the scan keep running? Or is there anything else I can do to figure it out. Thanks fir any help! 

EDIT: I went to the file location specified and I found that there are roughly 295,000 "imageio" files, sitting at about 1KB each..Each one takes roughly 10 seconds to get to the next file...So...We're looking at a LONG wait time for these..Is it worth it to scan them all? Or should I just cancel my scan, delete them then re-scan? Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Edited by Weirdmon, 25 June 2017 - 12:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:50 AM

First, run Disk Cleanup and get rid of all the temp files.

I would recommend using the Custom Scan option of Malwarebytes Antimalware, rather than Anti-Rootkit.

Click Scan on the left side of the screen, click on Custom Scan, click on Configure Scan, and check the Scan for rootkits option.

Click Scan Now and let it run...it can take a while.

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 02:12 AM

It is absolutely true, why temp folders are not emptied before scanning.Why somebody should hold temporary files which are in use only once and then should be deleted as soon as possible. Also should be deleted obsolete registry keys and user MRU lists. They are in use also only once.
How large is Your drive or partition, what are you scanning?

#4 Weirdmon

Weirdmon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:44 AM

First, run Disk Cleanup and get rid of all the temp files.

I would recommend using the Custom Scan option of Malwarebytes Antimalware, rather than Anti-Rootkit.

Click Scan on the left side of the screen, click on Custom Scan, click on Configure Scan, and check the Scan for rootkits option.

Click Scan Now and let it run...it can take a while.

Will do, lets hope this works better. And I actually am running Anti rootkit because of another problem, I think I do have something that's been rooted.

It is absolutely true, why temp folders are not emptied before scanning.Why somebody should hold temporary files which are in use only once and then should be deleted as soon as possible. Also should be deleted obsolete registry keys and user MRU lists. They are in use also only once.
How large is Your drive or partition, what are you scanning?

Alright. I'll try deleting them and re-scan then. I'm doing a full scan on a 1TB hard drive

#5 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:52 AM

Alright. I'll try deleting them and re-scan then. I'm doing a full scan on a 1TB hard drive

It is so amazing, if this is HDD drive and 1TB, then full scan may take for several days....

Edited by zainmax, 25 June 2017 - 09:55 AM.

#6 Weirdmon

Weirdmon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

It is so amazing, if this is HDD drive and 1TB, then full scan may take for several days....

Yeah, once ran Disk cleanup it was done within 4 hours..So that was definitely odd. 

Thanks for the help guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users