Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bootmgr is missing was just the beginning

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 davespeanuts

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:20 PM

Hello and thank you in advance for any help you can give me. I have windows 7 home premium installed on my computer. I have an Intel processor with a 64 OS. Today after being online for about 2 hours I suddenly got the blue screen of death. ( a process or thread crucial to system operation has unexpectedly exited or been terminated). I am currently in safe mode with networking. After the crash i got a screen that said "BOOTMGR IS MISSING". After googling some possible solutions, I was able to get the computer back up for about 10 minutes before it crashed again. I the put my windows disc in and tried the repair steps and got the message "this computer can not be repaired...etc." I'm not sure how I did it but I was able to boot up in safe mode (initially I couldn't even do that). Then while I was in safe mode I thought i would run malware bytes, but the minute I tried the computer crashed again. I ran a hijack this scan, but I am not sure what I should be looking for. i use this computer for my business so anything you can do to get me back to normal will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again, DaveAttached File  hijackthis first scan.txt   6.94KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,030 posts
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:17 PM

I'm going out on a limb here but I think your hard drive may be heading south. You can confirm it by removing the drive, attaching to another computer using a USB adapter and running Seatools for Windows, or you can boot a live linux CD with the tools to check the hard drive and memory. 

UBCD is one tool. Download the iso, burn to a CD, and at the menu screen select Parted Magic. At the Parted Magic desktop select Disk Health and do the short/long generic test. If that passes boot UBCD and at the menu select Memtest+ under the Memory section. Run it for at least 6 passes. 

If both the hard drive and memory pass then I would backup any personal data using this guide to an external USB hard drive and then run chkdsk from a Windows 7 install disk.

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html    Click the drive icon, not the mirror link.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users