Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 7 end of support date

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:15 PM

Any one know when windows 7 will be obsolete.  I hear in a few more yrs windows 7 will not be available to use. 

Edited by britechguy, 24 June 2017 - 07:22 PM.
Moved to Windows 7 Forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,025 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:21 PM

http://windowsitpro.com/windows/understanding-microsoft-product-lifecycle-support-phases

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,244 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:33 AM

And just to clarify -- if you already have it, you can continue to use it. You just won't get any more update or security patches once it goes end-of-life. And I don't recommend running out-of-date operating systems these days...

#4 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 469 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

Thankyou.

#5 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:16 PM

And just to clarify -- if you already have it, you can continue to use it. You just won't get any more update or security patches once it goes end-of-life. And I don't recommend running out-of-date operating systems these days...

Agreed about the out-of-date software. I will stay with 7. The alternatives, though....

Man I hate to relearn Linux this late in life but what's one to do?

:bike:

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 09:22 PM

Agreed about the out-of-date software. I will stay with 7. The alternatives, though....

Man I hate to relearn Linux this late in life but what's one to do?

:bike:

Upgrade to Windows 10.

#7 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:20 PM

I am sure that you will find Windows 8 disks somewhere, and my Windows 8.1 desktop is basically set to run like Windows 7.1 with a program called Classic Shell.

There are also programs like Never10 and GWX Control Panel that I use on both my Windows 8.1 and 7.1. Upgrade to Windows 10will be a last resort for me.

All can be Googled and installed very quickly.

Edited to Bold the 3 programs I mentioned

Edited by Jaycan, 28 June 2017 - 10:21 PM.

Acer Computer with LG Monitor and Toshiba Laptop with Windows 7.1

Windows 64bit  8.1 - Always fully updated

Firefox / Google Chrome / Internet Explorer Browsers

Usually a home helper here or with friends and nimble fingered ladies who would rather sew or dust, but not clean the bugs out of a computer ...

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 10:24 PM

There are also programs like Never10 and GWX Control Panel that I use on both my Windows 8.1 and 7.1. Upgrade to Windows 10will be a last resort for me.

The "Get Windows 10" campaign is long over, so those are no longer needed.

Windows 8.1 reaches the end of extended suppport on January 10, 2023.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,025 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:11 PM

I will second the statement that GWX (Get Windows 10) was pulled a very long time ago now (July 2016).  There is no need to stymie the installation of Windows 10 on existing Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 systems because GWX is long gone.

You can't upgrade from Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to Windows 10 for free anymore unless you actually did so on a given machine when the free offer was on and decided to go back to Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1.

I cannot imagine anyone who has been a long term user of Windows being happier with Windows 8/8.1 than they would with Windows 10.  Windows 8/8.1 were tectonic shifts in the user interface and presumed (for the most part) that everyone would be using touch screen devices.  The start menu was removed and the Metro screen took it's place, and it's nothing like a start menu.  Windows 10 brought back a great many of the things that people protested losing with the advent of Windows 8 while marrying the good things from the 8 era into the OS.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:02 AM

Brian come on, you know that you still can upgrade for free from Win 7 to Win 10 using the Assistive Technologies link

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

It's still live and many thousands of people have used it. The cynics among us believe Microsoft have left this door open so they can get as many users as possible over to Win 10. 

We have not announced an end date of the upgrade offer for customers using assistive technology. We will make a public announcement prior to ending the offer.

#11 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:09 AM

Brian come on, you know that you still can upgrade for free from Win 7 to Win 10 using the Assistive Technologies link

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/accessibility/windows10upgrade

It's still live and many thousands of people have used it. The cynics among us believe Microsoft have left this door open so they can get as many users as possible over to Win 10.

You might take a look at what Assistive Technologies are for...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Accessibility/assistive-technology-partners

That upgrade path is for those that need that type of help, not for cheap losers who are too lame to buy a piece of software, when they could have got it for free for over a year.

#12 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:27 AM

I know exactly what those are for. Anyone who has to enlarge text or use magnifier for instance.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/bb735867.aspx

It is not for cheap losers, it is a valid path that Microsoft are still providing to move Win 7 users to Win 10. You get exactly the same Win 10 build as everyone else does.

#13 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:32 AM

I know exactly what those are for. Anyone who has to enlarge text or use magnifier for instance.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/bb735867.aspx

It is not for cheap losers, it is a valid path that Microsoft are still providing to move Win 7 users to Win 10. You get exactly the same Win 10 build as everyone else does.

More precisely, to move users who use/need assistive technologies from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

It's not intended for the general public...those people now need to purchase Windows 10.

Edited by jwoods301, 29 June 2017 - 01:34 AM.

#14 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:44 AM

those people now need to purchase Windows 10.

No they don't.

#15 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2017 - 01:47 AM

those people now need to purchase Windows 10.

No they don't.

They do if they're not cheap losers who are too lame to buy a piece of software, when they could have got it for free for over a year.

It's like making 50 grand a year and standing in line for government cheese...for the needy, not the greedy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users