Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 10 installation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rp-57

rp-57

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:10 PM

My windows 7 has been down and not working for 4 month. 

I was not able to get it repaired but is working now.

I had windows 10 on my windows 7 and installed it but I had to do a reinstallation and lost windows 10 and was wondering if win 10 is still available for download in free version.

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:27 PM

Windows 10 can be reinstalled on any machine that has ever had it installed and activated.

You can download the Windows 10 ISO file using the Media Creation Tool available on the Windows 10 Download Page, create bootable media, and reinstall Windows 10.  The instructions, step-by-step, are available at the previously referenced page under the section entitled:  Create Windows 10 installation media

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,647 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:27 PM

Yes, as long as you had Windows 10 activated you can reinstall it without a problem. Use the Media Creation Tool to create your install media, either a DVD or USB flash drive. At the screen where it asks for a key click next without entering anything. 

Do a clean install per this this guide. It's for Windows 8 but the steps hold for Windows 10 also. Delete all the existing partitions. Because the Media Creation Tool is not OEM specific you may need to install additional drivers. Backup any license files you have for your purchased software. You will need to reinstall all your programs you added after purchasing the computer as well as programs that were included that you decided to purchase such as Office.

When you do a reinstall next time you do not need to install Windows 7 first. I would highly recommend you create a complete disk image of your Windows 10 after you install your programs. Use a program like Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper to backup the image to a USB external drive. Both let you create bootable media to restore the hard drive should it no longer boot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 June 2017 - 07:58 PM.

#4 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:03 PM

Windows 10 can be reinstalled on any machine that has ever had it installed and activated.

You can download the Windows 10 ISO file using the Media Creation Tool available on the Windows 10 Download Page, create bootable media, and reinstall Windows 10.  The instructions, step-by-step, are available at the previously referenced page under the section entitled:  Create Windows 10 installation media

Thankyou, I did not need the ISO file media creation tool when I downloaded windows 10 last yr.  why would I need the creation tool to download windows 10 again.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,647 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:10 PM

Because the iso  or DVD/USB flash drive you create would be the most current (current branch) if you do it now. If the iso is from last year you do not have the current version. If you installed using an iso from last year Windows 10 would want to update to the latest Creator's version and you would be downloading another 3 to 4 GB of data. Windows 10 being a "Service" will have two major upgrades a year.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-info.aspx

#6 rp-57

rp-57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 08:14 PM

Yes, as long as you had Windows 10 activated you can reinstall it without a problem. Use the Media Creation Tool to create your install media, either a DVD or USB flash drive. At the screen where it asks for a key click next without entering anything. 

Do a clean install per this this guide. It's for Windows 8 but the steps hold for Windows 10 also. Delete all the existing partitions. Because the Media Creation Tool is not OEM specific you may need to install additional drivers. Backup any license files you have for your purchased software. You will need to reinstall all your programs you added after purchasing the computer as well as programs that were included that you decided to purchase such as Office.

When you do a reinstall next time you do not need to install Windows 7 first. I would highly recommend you create a complete disk image of your Windows 10 after you install your programs. Use a program like Macrium Free or Aomei Backupper to backup the image to a USB external drive. Both let you create bootable media to restore the hard drive should it no longer boot.

Ok I'am downloading windows 10 now and I'am sorry I sounded silly when I read your post you said to use the media creation tool and that did not ring a bell with me like what is that.  but I had forgotten along the way becuase I have not had my laptop to use in months.  but I appreciate all your help and thankyou.

#7 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:14 AM

It turns out that you can use older W10 install media to reinstall your W10 on the computer you had it working on originally, as it sounds like you did a W7-->W10 upgrade at some point.  There are like 4 major version numbers since RTM release on July 29 2015.  What's being said about using the latest Microsoft MCT tool to download the latest version is correct, and it's a timesaver since if you have an older release such as v10286, v1511, or even the more recent v1607, using a W10 DVD or USB to reinstall will work, but you'll have lots of updates to install, and this can take several days of running and rebooting in order to get to the latest update patch level ON THAT PARTICULAR W10 VERSION.  Most folks don't want to do this, and they become frustrated, and reboot their computer after 24-48 hrs. of the W10 reinstall and update process running, or worse shut of the power to the computer (unplug it) while disk IO is occurring (read/writes), and that's often the kiss of death for computers, and can actually physically damage the hard drive.  

Given this information, you may be wondering why I mention that you can resuscitate your old W10 on that computer in this manner?  That's because of a couple of reasons.  One is that you may have older applications that may not run on the latest v1703 W10 CU (Creators Update) due to incompatibility with the app, or the app authors have not caught up testing and developing their product to run on the latest version of W10.  Another reason is that, updating your computer to the latest and greatest W10 version (or any windows version) is not always the smartest thing to do.  New versions of Windows that come out 2-3 times a year now, are rife with bugs, and if you don't believe me (I've been an Insider Tester for W10 for almost 3 years), just go onto the Microsoft Community forum and look at all the problems that occur daily all over the world with each new version of W10 that comes out.  New drivers are constantly being added, along with OS patch fixes and those are both incorporated in each new major release of W10; these constantly cause problems with older hardware (such as the hardware that came with your W7 PC), and can render your PC inoperable and unbootable.  Running a small computer repair business, I see this on a very regular basis.  

Doing manual file/folder backup, as well as Image Backup are really good ideas before attempting your reinstall, whether you go back to the early W10 version you initially had on that PC or you wish to try the W10 CU version available from the Microsoft MCT website will serve you well if you run into any problems.  Also, make sure you run the W10 COMPATIBILITY TEST during the reinstall.  It's a free included program in all versions of W10 that will tell you if you have app related or hardware related issues or even driver related issues prior to completing the OS install.  You can get more info from this link on how to do this: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/6728-get-compatibility-report-windows-10-window-7-8-1-a.html

Hope that proves helpful.

<<BIGBEARJEDI>>

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,876 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 11:17 AM

BIGBEARJEDI wrote, in part: New drivers are constantly being added, along with OS patch fixes and those are both incorporated in each new major release of W10; these constantly cause problems with older hardware. . .

As someone who's in the same line of business as you are, while I have to say that the first part is absolutely true (and has included tons of drivers for older hardware that's still in common use) I have observed the precise opposite with regard to "cause problems with older hardware."

I am seeing fewer and fewer cases where any manual downloading of drivers for older hardware remain necessary as Windows 10 progresses.  It appears to me that certain third party vendors have finally submitted Windows 10 compatible (which may be the same as earlier, but with the required "digital watermarks") drivers to Microsoft for inclusion in the massive database of drivers they have.  

I have ceased warning folks to download all the drivers for their peripherals in particular before installing Windows 10.   I do, however, warn them that the occasional driver search for "odd" hardware may be needed and, when it is, they should start looking for a driver compatible with Windows 8 if one exists and work their way backward from there, if necessary.  I have only found one device, a mousepad of all things on a Dell Inspiron 1720, for which I never managed to find a driver that would work with Windows 10.  Everything else has sailed along just fine either with what comes with Windows 10 or the occasional manual install of an earlier driver.

Also, with regard to Windows 10 being "rife with bugs," the same claim could be made if you go to the Microsoft support forums, or forums like those here at BC, for any version of Windows (or any OS, for that matter).  Windows 10 has become, in my observation, significantly more stable as the releases have progressed.  That doesn't mean there are no problems, because there are, but their number is fewer as are the amount of things that they hit.  I was a Windows Insider for a period of time, and that means being a beta tester by choice.

I am no Microsoft fanboy, but Windows 10 has just been getting better and better and more and more stable.  I do wish they'd stop taking things away from settings that we've all gotten used to.  I have no problem with the additions, but some of the subtractions (like those in Cortana & Search settings) defy reason.

Edited by britechguy, 25 June 2017 - 11:23 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users