Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIFI to WIFI to Internet

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 phlagz

phlagz

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

Hi, I am trying to link an unsmart flatscreen tv to a WIFI router to communicate to a WIFI router that is linked to the internet. Is this even possible? Is this what "Bridging" is about? I haven't tried anything yet but I figure I just need to setup some fixed IP addresses for Gateway. Here is my idea....TV (hardwired to) Belkin N600N+ (WIFI"s to) Linksys AC1900 mu-mimoGbps (hardwired to) modem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rittenhouse

rittenhouse

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 02:47 PM

ALTHOUGH THE THINGS THAT WE DREAM OF DOING MAY SEEM POSSIBLE AND EXCITING, SOME TIMES WE DESTROY THE VERY OBJECT THAT WE WERE TRYING TO IMPROVE. yOU MIGHT DAMAGE OR EVEN DESTROY YOUR TELEVISION SET BY INSTALLING OR CROSS WIRING OBJECTS THAT IT WAS NOT MEANT TO DO.

#3 phlagz

phlagz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:45 PM

The tv has network capability just not wifi

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:55 PM

You might find this thread on Tom's hardware helpful on understanding the different types of bridging...

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2296671/bridged-modem-router-ethernet-ports-connect-internet.html

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:56 PM

ALTHOUGH THE THINGS THAT WE DREAM OF DOING MAY SEEM POSSIBLE AND EXCITING, SOME TIMES WE DESTROY THE VERY OBJECT THAT WE WERE TRYING TO IMPROVE. yOU MIGHT DAMAGE OR EVEN DESTROY YOUR TELEVISION SET BY INSTALLING OR CROSS WIRING OBJECTS THAT IT WAS NOT MEANT TO DO.

All caps are not necessary, and considered shouting on Internet forums.

#6 rittenhouse

rittenhouse

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:15 AM

well, i apologize for that misstep, but I believe that all caps are ( or is that is)   no longer considered shouting or emphasis in netspeak, its mainly because of being too lazy to hit the caps button and to retype  once realized!

#7 rittenhouse

rittenhouse

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 10:20 AM

Again that is  not the object of my statements. I was referring mainly to the ability of others to remotely connect to my desktop whenever I leave a comment  on a web site and they request that i type in the letters seen on the screen in the box in order to register the comment such as:    "PLEASE ENTER THE SYMBOLS SEEN IN THE BOX"  LCXF66. Once I do that ;does it then allow them to use the same technology that LOGMEIN RESCUE uses when their agents send you a code to type so that they can now log on remotely to your computer and take over it in order to do some work?

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 01:29 PM

Again that is  not the object of my statements. I was referring mainly to the ability of others to remotely connect to my desktop whenever I leave a comment  on a web site and they request that i type in the letters seen on the screen in the box in order to register the comment such as:    "PLEASE ENTER THE SYMBOLS SEEN IN THE BOX"  LCXF66. Once I do that ;does it then allow them to use the same technology that LOGMEIN RESCUE uses when their agents send you a code to type so that they can now log on remotely to your computer and take over it in order to do some work?

You posted that question in this thread...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/649361/look-out-solid-techies-phone-scam/#entry4268182

Again, all CAPTCHA does is determine whether you are a human or a bot.

In other words, no.

Edited by jwoods301, 25 June 2017 - 01:32 PM.

#9 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:29 PM

Hi, I am trying to link an unsmart flatscreen tv to a WIFI router to communicate to a WIFI router that is linked to the internet. Is this even possible? Is this what "Bridging" is about? I haven't tried anything yet but I figure I just need to setup some fixed IP addresses for Gateway. Here is my idea....TV (hardwired to) Belkin N600N+ (WIFI"s to) Linksys AC1900 mu-mimoGbps (hardwired to) modem.

If your Belkin can be a wireless client you should have no problems using the setup as you describe.

Or you could buy a Chromecast and plug that into one of the HDMI ports.
Built in Wifi, a lot of apps for streaming content (Netflix etc). Not exactly expensive either

Hth!

tfn

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

"but I believe that all caps..."

you are mistaken.

" I just need to setup some fixed IP addresses for Gateway."

You don't need to do that.  Just have it get its ip address, gateway and dns settings via dhcp from the router.  Keep it simple.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2017 - 12:01 AM

I have a Roku streaming stick on two tv's and it works awesome. I can also take it with me on trips or late nights at the office (Chromecast is very similar).
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#12 spyral

spyral

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:00 AM

I have this setup with my tv box. The box does have wifi, it's just really bad, so I have it wired to an old Linksys router, in client mode, that connects wirelessly to the main router. I used DD-WRT to do this, I don't know if the stock firmware would have this ability.

Bridging allows the TV to be "seen" by other devices on the network and not "hidden" behind the router. If you only need internet then bridging is not necessary.

Why does the TV need internet if it's not a smart TV? You can easily turn a dumb TV smart with Sneakycyber's suggestion of Roku/Chomecast/FireTV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users