Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please please help. New laptop is very sluggish. Huge delay when clicking on ico

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Anna5000

Anna5000

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 10:51 AM

Hi.

Hope you're well and hope you're having a good day.

I am really really hoping someone can help.

I have a HP Elitebook 820 G2 laptop on Windows 10 Pro. Specs are; Intel i5 processor, 12gb ram, Intel integrated graphics.

It was purchased refurbished and has been freshly rebooted by me (refresh) and I have updated all drivers (using HP driver update utility) including Windows 10 drivers. Further, in the hardware section in Control Panel it shows up as there being no hardware issues.

Here is the problem...

The laptop is running INCREDIBLY slow and sluggishly. For example, when I click on the Internet Explorer or Chrome desktop icon it takes a full second for that action to be recognized and when IE or Chrome does load it is super slow and when I resize a window It takes like 3 seconds to resize and I can see it physically happening, which should be the case. When I click on the Cortana Start button on bottom left hand side of the desktop even that takes 5 seconds to come up and when it finally does, searching for something takes ages!

At first I thought it must be a process or two hogging the CPU but task manager shows everything under 20%. Ive also killed a load of processes to see if it makes a difference, nothing. I also unchecked a lot of unneeded things that load on startup, still no difference.

This should not be happening on a freshly booted, completely up to date and incredibly powerful laptop with 12gbs of ram!

I really really hope someone can help me and will be incredibly grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

Anna.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:29 PM

You say you have unchecked processes. Do you mean you attempted a clean boot per these instructions?

Publish a Speccy Report and post the link. Pay attention to your temps and also if Speccy lists the hard drive as good. 

HP can do a complete diagnostic. Tap Esc at boot and select Diagnostic at the Menu.

You can verify the HDD health by running Seatools for Windows. Do the short and long generic tests.

Look at your Event Viewer logs for an clues to the slowdown.

Depending on when it was purchased, I would strongly consider returning it if still under Warranty.

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 June 2017 - 12:30 PM.

#3 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 01:42 PM

Take it back.  Tell them you want Windows, and only Windows.  You don't want any of their HP crapware or anything else running in the back ground.

#4 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:28 AM

Yes, depending on where exactly you purchased this HP laptop, there are multiple issues with buying refurbished laptops (or PCs)!  If you got it from HP via their website or authorized retailer such as Best Buy, you have recourse.  If you bought anywhere else, ABC Computer shop, ebay, etc. you could be in for big problems; the least of which is there are a ton of unscrupulous folks out there refurbing laptops and taking a used hard drive out of that laptop and substituting it with an even older hard drive from their parts bin, and selling it as new or like new.  This has been going on for many years now; and the post above from JohnC_21 about testing your hard drive for failure or excessive hours is spot on.  Most online retailers offer you an extended warranty on the laptop, but for very high prices, often 3 times the going rate, and therefore you didn't buy it at time of purchase.  This is because they know they replaced the factory parts (Hard Drive, RAM sticks, etc.) with older substandard parts.  Posting back your SPECCY report will tell us very quickly if this is the case; in less than 3 minutes in fact.  

If you decide to test your Hard Drive yourself, make sure not to rely on HP diagnostics, Seatools or other diags such as WD DLG, are required, and if you have an SSD drive, you need something else.  If you've never done this yourself, I suggest you pay a professional to do this for you and get a written report or hardcopy printout of the test.  If the Tech you take it to can't produce this report-STOP-they don't know what they are doing and take it to a reputable Shop such as Best Buy Geek Squad where all the Techs are A+ certified & licensed.  If you decide to pursue it yourself, take a look at this link here to get you going: 

HARD DRIVE DIAGNOSTICS:

http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html

Consider also, how much you paid for this laptop.  If you paid under $200 US for it, you probably got scammed.  If you paid a whole bunch of money for it, then the seller probably falls into the first category I mentioned at the beginning of this post <sorry!>.

Best of luck to you,

<<BIGBEARJEDI>>

#5 Anna5000

Anna5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:01 AM

Hi guys.

Thanks ever so much for all the advice posted so far.

- I have provided links to the speccy report to this message in 3 different file formats (links to the speccy report are at the bottom of this message) (I hope I am doing this right, as this is the first time I've used the software).

Also, here is some further information about the issue.

- Thinking about this problem a lot more yesterday I realised that the problem only really began when I replaced the laptops existing traditional Seagate hard drive with a Samsung 850 Evo SSD 250gb drive. I didn't make the mental connection between the hard drive change to the slowness and sluggishness of the laptop until now because I couldnt imagine how installing a state of the art super fast SSD drive that is supposed to improve performance, could actually somehow degrade performance significantly. 

- It's also worth noting that the first 30 mins - 1 hour of me using the laptop every day is fine before the extreme sluggishness and slowness kicks in, making my laptop pretty much unusable as it takes like 10 minutes for programs to open ect.

LINK TO SPECCY REPORT

Speccy Report link - http://speccy.piriform.com/results/kxjZnK8Apy0HNrPhdql431Z

I would very much appreciate some further guidance.

Look forward to your replies.

Thanks.

Edited by Anna5000, 26 June 2017 - 07:55 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:12 AM

I am not sure if people are going to be downloading your files even though I am sure they are okay. You should have published the Speccy Report and then provided the Web page as shown in below link. I would delete the above links if they show your Windows key. It may help if you run Speccy when the computer is starting to slow down. This may be due to overheating and the Speccy temps would show that.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

You should still run the Seatools for Windows test.

#7 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:16 AM

For SSD to work properly you MUST have your computer in AHCI mode.  You may want to check your BIOS to see if it is set in AHCI or not.  If not follow instructions here to change.  

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2795928/switch-ide-ahci-windows.html

You can also TRIM your SSD with this command.  Save as a .ps1 file.

param([switch]$Elevated)

function Test-Admin {
  $currentUser = New-Object Security.Principal.WindowsPrincipal $([Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent())
  $currentUser.IsInRole([Security.Principal.WindowsBuiltinRole]::Administrator)
}

if ((Test-Admin) -eq $false)  {
    if ($elevated) 
    {
        # tried to elevate, did not work, aborting
    } 
    else {
Start-Process powershell.exe -Verb RunAs -ArgumentList ('-noprofile -noexit -file "{0}" -elevated' -f ($myinvocation.MyCommand.Definition))
}

exit
}

'running with full privileges'

Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter C -ReTrim -Verbose

Check to see if trim is enabled.  Run this in command window as administrator.

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
You’ll see one of two results. If you see DisableDeleteNotify = 0 , TRIM is enabled.
Everything is good and you don’t need to worry about it.
If you see DisableDeleteNotify = 1 , TRIM is disabled. This is a problem if you have an SSD.

To enable TRIM run this in command window as administrator.
fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

Edited by dhagerjohns, 26 June 2017 - 07:31 AM.

#8 Anna5000

Anna5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:57 AM

I am not sure if people are going to be downloading your files even though I am sure they are okay. You should have published the Speccy Report and then provided the Web page as shown in below link. I would delete the above links if they show your Windows key. It may help if you run Speccy when the computer is starting to slow down. This may be due to overheating and the Speccy temps would show that.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/323892/publish-a-snapshot-using-speccy/

You should still run the Seatools for Windows test.

Hi, John.

I took your advice on board, here is published speccy link for my laptop;

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/kxjZnK8Apy0HNrPhdql431Z

#9 Anna5000

Anna5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:04 AM

For SSD to work properly you MUST have your computer in AHCI mode.  You may want to check your BIOS to see if it is set in AHCI or not.  If not follow instructions here to change.  

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2795928/switch-ide-ahci-windows.html

You can also TRIM your SSD with this command.  Save as a .ps1 file.

param([switch]$Elevated)

function Test-Admin {
  $currentUser = New-Object Security.Principal.WindowsPrincipal $([Security.Principal.WindowsIdentity]::GetCurrent())
  $currentUser.IsInRole([Security.Principal.WindowsBuiltinRole]::Administrator)
}

if ((Test-Admin) -eq $false)  {
    if ($elevated) 
    {
        # tried to elevate, did not work, aborting
    } 
    else {
Start-Process powershell.exe -Verb RunAs -ArgumentList ('-noprofile -noexit -file "{0}" -elevated' -f ($myinvocation.MyCommand.Definition))
}

exit
}

'running with full privileges'

Optimize-Volume -DriveLetter C -ReTrim -Verbose

Check to see if trim is enabled.  Run this in command window as administrator.

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify
You’ll see one of two results. If you see DisableDeleteNotify = 0 , TRIM is enabled.
Everything is good and you don’t need to worry about it.
If you see DisableDeleteNotify = 1 , TRIM is disabled. This is a problem if you have an SSD.

To enable TRIM run this in command window as administrator.
fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

Hi.

Thanks ever so much for all the info and advice.

I can confirm that the SSD is running in AHCI mode, and can also confirm that TRIM is enabled.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

Unless I missed something I don't see anything out of the ordinary on the Speccy report.

Have you tried a clean boot.  How long does it take to slow down in clean boot?

#11 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:37 AM

Another thought I just had.  It could be a bad drive.  :( 

#12 Anna5000

Anna5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:39 AM

Unless I missed something I don't see anything out of the ordinary on the Speccy report.

Have you tried a clean boot.  How long does it take to slow down in clean boot?

Hi.

Hope you're well.

When I purchased this HP laptop there was Windows 10 Pro already installed on it on the laptops internal traditional hard drive.

I then purchased a Samsung SSD (brand new from a retailed)  and swapped the current traditional hard drive in the laptop for the new SSD.

I then used my other laptop (Asus laptop) to create a Windows bootable USB using this method (https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10) and popped that USB into the HP laptop with the new SSD drive in it in order to download Windows 10 Pro onto the new SSD.

After that was done, I downloaded only the most needed drivers and did the Windows 10 update.

A couple of hours later the extreme sluggishness began and the laptop was near unusable. This carried on for a whole few day.

I then reinstalled windows using the same USB stick (i.e. did a fresh boot) but this time didn't load any drivers and found the problem was still present and noticed the extreme sluggishness and slowness even while going through the Windows installation process and the problem was present in Safe Mode too.

I read online somewhere that when going from having a traditional hard drive as your primary drive to having an SSD as your primary drive that you should not take windows from a laptop that has a traditional hard drive to load onto the SSD (as I did) but should instead do a fresh install of windows from a brand new disk.

So my next step was going to be completely wiping the SSD (securely using the HP SSD tool), purchasing a brand new Windows 10 disk online and installing Windows fresh from that with a new license code. If that fails then I really don't know what else I can do.

One thing seems almost certain to me, the issues began when I replaced the traditional hard drive with the new SSD.

#13 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

Open device manager, and make sure you have AHCI  See my screenshot.

screenshot_7.png

#14 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

You can download fresh install from Microsoft.  Do not purchase new license code it makes no difference.  Are you signed in with MS account?  If you are you will be automatically activated.

#15 Anna5000

Anna5000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

Another thought I just had.  It could be a bad drive.  :(

A bad SSD drive?

That makes a lot of sense as all the problems began as soon as swapped out the current traditional hard drive for the SSD drive. 

Ironically, I purchased this brand new 850 Evo SSD in order to improve performance but instead it has rendered useless my laptop which has nothing on it and has an i5 processor and 12gb of RAM! This laptop should be running fast as lightning but instead it runs as fast as it should for an hour or so then slows to an absolute crawl where I can't even open a web browser and browse a few sites properly.

I couldn't believe it would be the SSD at first as this drive has rave reviews all over the web and couldn't think how something designed to improve performance would degrade it.

It could still be an issue with something and not this new SSD drive, but I cant think what it could be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users