Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Re-boot windows 10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bulla

bulla

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:16 AM

Following the instructions/article by Mr Lawrence Abram titled "How to boot Windows 10 by C Prompt" as I could not otherwise boot my PC,I  successfully reached the Command prompt stage by following the above suggestions.However,login to normal boot of windows 10 failed and when re-booted/restarted from Command prompt it stopped showing the blank black screen after signing in to my account.I can still invoke restart or shut options through ctrl+Alt+del which will bring the login screen but when signed in to my account it will repeat the above and fails to reboot windows.

Background to the problem

For some unknown reasons,Explorer.exe stopped working and with Programs Icons on the Task Bar including Start,Edge and most others stopped responding when clicked to open.I also recall UAC,profiles also changed. I tried to find solution by reading the suggestions on internet files but failed to repair it.

I remember having made some changes in in Windows/system32 and sysWOW64 where I changed the file extension of the file "ExplorerFramae.dll to BAK" in both the folders and also copied the old file "ExplorerFrame.dll" as before,in both the folders which was done following instructions on net which became necessary as I could not open the Start tab,Search option tab,Microsoft Edge and almost all the links to other programs on task bar including internet and for most of these when clicked to open the error  a window popped up showing error "Explorer.exe" in the upper part and" class not registered." in the middle part.So,in nutshell because of these issues, I had to look for a solution on the internet which after trying a few I got attracted by a suggestion to replace/ change file extensions (as stated above) from dll to BAK but also keeping/replacing dll file extension in both the holders.
After doing this change the PC simply failed to boot after sign-up.

Without reboot and windows running,obviously I can not reach the folders "System32' and "SysWOW64" in windows main folder on Drive C. I do not want to take another risk to fiddle with computer on my own and looking for some suggestions on removing this problem so that computer can be rebooted. Is there any method by which I can reverse the changes made in System 32 and SysWOW64 folders in the ExplorerFrame.dll files or any other solution which can be applied.

Shall appreciate any help to fix this situation

Thanks
Naren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:27 AM

Please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please type below command into Command Prompt and press Enter key.

The following command scans integrity of all protected Windows system files and repairs files with problems when possible.

Sfc  /Scannow   /OFFBOOTDIR=D:\   /OFFWINDIR=D:\Windows

Please replace partition letter D: with Windows installed partition letter. When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

Posted Image

#3 BIGBEARJEDI

BIGBEARJEDI

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 04:57 AM

Hi,

If the SFC still doesn't fix it for you, I suggest you take a look a this post, which covers repair from virus/malware infection and windows corruption from uninstalled poorly coded application programs or manual registry manipulation which often can be caused by fooling around in the 2 windows system file directories you mentioned.  Take a look here: https://windowsforum.com/threads/freeze-regulary-hd-access.226286/#post-690193

Typically, you might need to do a more advanced software repair (such as a W10 reset or W10 reinstallation from factory recovery media or partition) and hardware testing as well which is covered in the linked post above.

Let us know how you get on.

Best,

<<BIGBEARJEDI>>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users