Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build W/driver Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xtinctss

xtinctss

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:36 PM

Hello everyone. This is my first post so please bear with me.

I recently had what I thought was a video card problem with an XFX 440. I decided to upgrade and installed a XFX 6800GT agp. Soon after intalling the whole computer just died so, me being me, I decided to upgrade everything except for the drives. Current system is:

Lanparty NF4 SLI-DR
AMD 3700+ socket 939
EVGA 7300 video card (single card for now)
Ultra 600w power supply
2 sticks of DDR400 A-Data memory
HP 8200 cd burner (internal)
Lite-On CD W-RW via usb
40 gig WD HDD 7200 rpm
Segate 250 gig HD 7200 rpm
Standard Floppy drive
HP Photo smart 7550 printer via USB
D-Link Wireless PCI card
Logitech Bluetooth mouse and keyboard (MX 900 / Cordless elite)
Aopen USB powered Speakers (El cheapos!)
Surplus PC camera (cheapo small and not very good camera) via USB
D-Link 7 port USB hub

NOTE: the MB has 6 USB2.0 ports on the rear. 4 of which are in use. The MB is also setup for 2 USB 2.0 ports on the front of the case as well as 1 1394 port. As these are hard to get to, I have the 7 port ontop of the desk but all are functional.

The monitor is a Samsung 174v

I think thats it.

Now, my problem is........after a few minutes the computer will self re-boot. Temps are okay but I get a MS recovery note saying that I have a driver issue. I removed the BT mouse and keyboard and it will stay running but if I plug in a joystick (LT wingman FFB) and play a game the game will video will freeze. If I manage to stop the game without reboooting and try to restart the game, the game fails to run because the 3D effect (?) is no longer there. (Anyone understand what I'm saying? I'm not sure I do!)

What I need to know is if I can fix my apparent USB problems without reinstalling windows? If so....HOW!!!!???

Please let me know if anyone can help me.....I can't assemble these things but can't seem to make them work right!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 04:45 AM

Sounds like you upgraded everything... but, did you make sure it was compatible with your motherboard? I'm wondering, does the computer beep whenever it reboots? If it does, how many beeps and how long are they?

#3 xtinctss

xtinctss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 08:23 AM

Everything is compatable so I'm told by the folks at Tiger Direct. I thought it was a good combo anyway. No beeps at startup and the diagnostic LEDs show a normal/correct boot.

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:06 PM

In device manager are there any conflicts with any of the drives? If not, have you tried getting updated drivers for both your videocard, and for everything else that you have had recently installed?

#5 xtinctss

xtinctss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:56 PM

I have no conflicts in the DM. I have gone to all the manufacturer websites and down loaded and installed all proper drivers. The only problem is with the BT stuff I think. If I goto Logitech and DL the 2.22 version and install it, WITHOUT rebooting, it runs fine...I think.....But when I reboot per the install instructions it crashes again. ALso, sometimes it will not shut down either. It just sits there forever. I have to turn the power off to shut it down.

#6 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:07 PM

Hm, since bluetooth is a network protocol there may be an error within that... something is being installed that is either cached or being installed onto ram. Since you downloaded this version of bluetooth, did you run it? or did you save it to the desktop.

Edited by Gyro, 11 September 2006 - 01:07 PM.

#7 xtinctss

xtinctss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:21 PM

Once I DL it I run it. I do not save it to the desktop.

#8 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 01:30 PM

Well, it's a very LARGE longshot, but you could always try saving it to the desktop, make a special folder, name it installation, and then you can run it once you start up your computer. Since most files downloaded (if not saved to desktop) are saved to ram, this would explain a few things, but not technically all of them.

Since we have an idea it's bluetooth related, if the save to desktop thing fails (which i'll admit, pretty good chance but it's worth a shot) you can try disabling that hardware specifically, if it's the thing causing an error, download the drivers without it running, and when you have downloaded all the drivers for it, reinstall it, (some network devices work this way, it's possible it's working this way with bluetooth). If it's not the problem, then we'll keep searching, after all, this is what building a computer is all about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users