Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trying to create an invisible network connected to another network. SEE DIAGRAM

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 N44523

N44523

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

So I live near my work and I have set up a network at home so I can use my work internet from my home.

The thing that worries me about my current setup is that I'm pretty sure that it's not very secure and I know it's visible from within my work network.

Is there a way to totally isolate both networks, but be able to use the internet connection from my work internet on devices within my home network without any part of my network being visible. I don't need access to any parts of my work network, ie cameras or NAS. The only thing i need from it is its sweet, sweet internet connection.

I should also mention that this isn't anything nefarious. I work at a hotel, it's the guests that I want to hide from! That being said, it would be nice to be able to set up a media server and for it to be totally invisible to everyone. Total invisibility would be ideal, but if that is not attainable then blocking access to any devices on my home network would be great.

It's more of a security thing than an internet thievery thing.

The business in question is owned by my parents and i have their permission to do this.

Diagram of current network setup: http://imgur.com/hmsFIjP

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:48 PM

You should research Virtual Private Network (VPN).

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:15 PM

If you have access to the work network...from your home direct...my question is why do you feel the need to set up another network?

All you need is legitimate access to the work network.

I don't understand what you are asking.

Louis

#4 N44523

N44523
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:20 PM

Sorry, i should have been clearer. Basically, the only thing i need from the work network is the internet. My work network is public (hotel guests), so i want the "home" part of the network to be as isolated as possible.

The diagram at the bottom of the original post might help explain the current setup.

Thanks

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:01 AM

I believe Mr. Woods provided information on a possible route.

Louis

#6 N44523

N44523
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:10 AM

The VPN route isnt really ideal for my situation. What im trying to do is make the entirety of my half of the network completely inaccessible to anyone on the work side. A VPN wouldn't really work to protect all my devices (TV, PC, NAS etc) perhaps it might if i manage to set it up on my router.

My question was more related to making my current setup as secure as possible by changing the configuration.

#7 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:17 AM

Hello

It is up to your router to decide if clients from the 192.168.1.x network gets past it and to the inside of your network.

If you are using eg an Asus router this is already implemented.
For the router it wont matter what network it has at the WAN port. It will still protect the internal network from external threats

Hth!

tfn

Edited by toofarnorth, 24 June 2017 - 11:18 AM.

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 05:46 PM

Just to reiterate your work network can't access your home network unless you specifically set it up to do so in your router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users