Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Someone from Nigeria has access to my relative's email account, router, network,

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 huntu

huntu

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:29 PM

*Sorry, title should be: "Nigerian Hackers have access to my family's network and router, most likely computer too" | I used copy/paste for the title of another thread I browsed.*

So I just got a call from the family located a few states away from me saying that they were having trouble logging into their Yahoo account. At first, we thought it was just something wrong with the browser or a virus, so we initiated a custom scan using Malwarebytes. No threats found.

After this, they decided to call Yahoo support, but say the person was hard to understand because of a foreign accent. The person said that someone from Nigeria is the main holder of the email account and even if we were to change the password, they would still have access to their account. In addition, the Yahoo support said their network was not secure.

Edited by huntu, 23 June 2017 - 03:32 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:33 PM

It appears the Yahoo account was hacked.

Strong passwords are always recommended.

https://www.howtogeek.com/195430/how-to-create-a-strong-password-and-remember-it/

A password change would lock the hackers out of further access to that account.

However, once someone has your email address, it's not a huge leap to use it in spoofing campaigns.

That's the main reason people are told never to post their email address in a public forum.

Unless their ISP can get the IP addresses being used by the spoofer blocked, about the only resolution is a new email address, and notifying their contacts.

Edited by jwoods301, 23 June 2017 - 04:38 PM.

#3 huntu

huntu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:36 PM

After some careful Internet searching, I came across this article: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/isnt-yahoo-support-sln27069.html

It appears that this man they were talking to was a fake, and it might as well have been a scare. Even then, the main problem in the beginning stemmed from not being able to login. They tried to click on the text input box but it would not work, and when it wanted the captcha it would just go back to the password page, completely skipping the mail login.

Edited by huntu, 23 June 2017 - 05:58 PM.

#4 huntu

huntu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:59 PM

It appears the Yahoo account was hacked.

Strong passwords are always recommended.

https://www.howtogeek.com/195430/how-to-create-a-strong-password-and-remember-it/

A password change would lock the hackers out of further access to that account.

However, once someone has your email address, it's not a huge leap to use it in spoofing campaigns.

That's the main reason people are told never to post their email address in a public forum.

Unless their ISP can get the IP addresses being used by the spoofer blocked, about the only resolution is a new email address, and notifying their contacts.

I don't think it was hacked. The trouble is that they cannot click on the text input box on the yahoo login page. Maybe something is up with the scripts or something?

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:35 PM

Have them try another browser.

#6 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 12:12 PM

Hi Huntu,

Greetings.

Can you check and tell :

• what browser and operating system are they using ?
  • if they are using any addons like pop up blocker or script blocker?
  • do they have an alternative internet connection?
  • are they being asked to verify CAPTCHA (picture or text)?
  • Did they try logging into the account from a different device?

Please keep us posted. :)

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#7 huntu

huntu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:13 PM

Have them try another browser.

I can guarantee you that this doesn't work. They tried to login via Firefox, IE, Edge, and Chrome, but it did not work. Heck, I even tried from my own computer to login to their email, but it still didn't work.

Edited by huntu, 24 June 2017 - 06:20 PM.

#8 huntu

huntu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:20 PM

Hi Huntu,

Greetings.

Can you check and tell :

• what browser and operating system are they using ?
  • if they are using any addons like pop up blocker or script blocker?
  • do they have an alternative internet connection?
  • are they being asked to verify CAPTCHA (picture or text)?
  • Did they try logging into the account from a different device?

Please keep us posted. :)

Hey Nikhil,

They tried every browser and we've tried Windows Vista, 10, and even Mac OS El Capitan, but none worked. I looked at some Yahoo support threads that were within the past few days and even some on Reddit. The latest trouble is stemming from not being able to get past the Captcha that Yahoo has. 

For example, I enter the username and password, then it takes me to the Captcha, where I check the not a robot box. After checking said box, it wants me to click the pictures without a "street sign (for instance)" and after I do this, it will loop back to the input password screen.

This explains my problem fairly well: https://www.reddit.com/r/yahoo/comments/6fouef/yahoo_mail_is_down_and_having_serious_problems/

#9 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:23 PM

Try mail.yahoo.com 

I just logged in with no issues.

#10 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:11 AM

Sounds like this account is also facing the widespread issue with Yahoo accounts, unfortunately.

You will have to contact yahoo support directly from yahoo.com (DO NOT GOOGLE for yahoo contact)

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users