Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my CPU dead?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jrencore

Jrencore

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:46 PM

So yesterday i bought cans of compressed air to give my year and half old pc some much needed dusting and cleaning. This is my first PC as well as the first time ive ever built one. I went about dusting all of it but i had to take my cpu fan off to get clumps of dust underneath. I barely touched the anything and i tried not to touch anything with my fingers. But as my luck would have i went to turnnit back on after i cleaned it and all of my fans were spinning but it wont show a display. Im really not sure what i could have done in the 5 minutes it took to clean it and im concerned that somehow i messed up my cpu. I can give any specs if you need but Please let me know any ideas so i can have my pc back. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:03 PM

check to make sure your ram is seated correctly, maybe you bumped it out of place,

where you removed the cpu fan did you only remove the fan? or the entire heat sink?

maybe the heat sink is not seated properly on the cpu,

if you did remove the heat sink you should be applying new thermal paste before re installing

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:10 PM

Indeed you may knocked something out of the place.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#4 MrSippi

MrSippi

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:02 PM

Any post beeps?

Looking for Mrs Sippi

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 09:10 AM

i had to take my cpu fan off

Did you remove only the fan, but not the heatsink? Or...did you remove the heatsink and fan assembly together? If that is the case, please explain in step-by-step detail how you re-mounted the fan/heatsink assembly.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,389 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:00 AM

It's entirely possible that, during the process of removing/replacing the fan and/or heatsink, you may have inadvertently knocked the CPU's power lead. This usually plugs into the mobo (from the PSU) fairly close to the CPU socket.

It's easily done, and with the locking mechanism on the plug connector, you can still have an apparently locked connection, yet a bad 'contact' between plug & socket. Best to completely unplug it, then firmly plug it back in again.

Just my two penn'orth.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 25 June 2017 - 07:36 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#7 MrSippi

MrSippi

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:38 AM

That's a thought, it's right next to the CPU.

Looking for Mrs Sippi

#8 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:29 PM

let us hope there was no compressed air sprayed directly on the cpu and/or socket without waiting for condensation to completely evaporate before powering back on, as condensation/water sometimes occurs with many typical compressed air cans...

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#9 Jrencore

Jrencore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:33 PM

i had to take my cpu fan off

Did you remove only the fan, but not the heatsink? Or...did you remove the heatsink and fan assembly together? If that is the case, please explain in step-by-step detail how you re-mounted the fan/heatsink assembly.

#10 Jrencore

Jrencore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:36 PM

I only took off the cpu fan to clean the heatsink then put the fan back.

#11 Jrencore

Jrencore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:46 PM

Ok so i tried removing the the heatsink so i can break the seal of the thermal paste a take a better look but when i released the clamp and tried to take my processor out it wouldnt come out easily. Hope i didnt break my motherboard socket or something.

#12 Jrencore

Jrencore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 08:52 PM

so i managed to get it off. I feel really stupid right now but everythings looks fine and im not sure what im looking for.
I already tried reconnecting the cpus power lead and got nothing.

#13 MrSippi

MrSippi

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:10 PM

Busted!  :whistle:

Looking for Mrs Sippi

#14 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:18 AM

when i released the clamp and tried to take my processor out it wouldnt come out easily.

If your processor is still removed, turn it over and carefully check for any bent/broken pins. Hold it under a bright light and slowly turn it so you can see down the rows of pins; all should be straight and even with none  bent over or out of line.

If you did re-mount the CPU, did it settle easily into place on the mounting socket of the mainboard, or was it slightly "rocking back & forth" when you locked the heatsink back down?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#15 Jrencore

Jrencore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:25 PM

when i released the clamp and tried to take my processor out it wouldnt come out easily.

If your processor is still removed, turn it over and carefully check for any bent/broken pins. Hold it under a bright light and slowly turn it so you can see down the rows of pins; all should be straight and even with none  bent over or out of line.
If you did re-mount the CPU, did it settle easily into place on the mounting socket of the mainboard, or was it slightly "rocking back & forth" when you locked the heatsink back down?
it rests fine in the socket. A bit confused at this point... all the pins are fine. I took all the components out of my computer and put them onto a bleepty motherboard along with another bleepty processor i have in the mean time. Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users