Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

He Says, She Says!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rayandmaura

rayandmaura

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 08:29 PM

I just added more RAM I went from 256 to 512. I have seen so many different recommendations and " general rule of thumbs" that im not sure whats best. My page file system is set to--- initial 756-- and-- maximum 756.-- I am just wondering if this is properly set ? Ill see somewhere that it sould be one way and on another site ill see something different. Any suggestions ??

THANK YOU !!!!!

- RAY -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:39 PM

Managing your computer's performanceWindows allocates resources according to its settings and manages devices accordingly. You can, however, change the way Windows uses processor time and computer memory to improve performance. You can also adjust the settings for your computerís visual effects.

Managing processor time
System processing is managed by Windows, which can allocate tasks between processors, as well as manage multiple processes on a single processor. However, you can set Windows to allocate more processor time to the program you are currently running. This can result in faster program response time. Or, if you have background programs, such as printing or disk backup that you want to run while you work, you can have Windows share processor resources equally between background and foreground programs.

Managing computer memory
When your computer is running low on RAM and more is needed immediately, Windows uses hard drive space to simulate system RAM. This is known as virtual memory, and is often called the paging file. This is similar to the UNIX swapfile. The default size of the virtual memory pagefile (named pagefile.sys) created during installation is 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your computer.

You can optimize virtual memory use by dividing the space between multiple drives and removing it from slower or heavily accessed drives. To best optimize your virtual memory space, divide it among as many physical hard drives as possible. When selecting drives, keep the following guidelines in mind:

Try to avoid having a pagefile on the same drive as the system files.
Avoid putting a pagefile on a fault-tolerant drive, such as a mirrored volume or a RAID-5 volume. Pagefiles don't need fault-tolerance, and some fault-tolerant systems suffer from slow data writes because they write data to multiple locations.

Don't place multiple pagefiles on different partitions on the same physical disk drive.

You can choose to optimize your computer's memory usage. If you use your computer primarily as a workstation, rather than as a server, you can have more memory devoted to your programs. Your programs will work faster and your system cache size will be the default size that came with Windows XP. You can also specify to set aside more computer memory for a larger system cache, If your computer is used primarily as a server, or if you use programs that require a larger cache.

-Windows XP Help

#3 rayandmaura

rayandmaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:25 PM

Yea, I think ive read that help topic quite a few times. What im wondering is if my current page file settings look good ? One article will suggest one thing and onther something different . I hoping theres other users with similer RAM and can offer some of their opinions based on their experiances. Its no big deal most of my time on the pc is spent on BC. Im not a gamer and really my pc is quite fast id just like to have the best performance possible ..

THANK YOU !!

--RAY--

#4 bobkart

bobkart

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:50 AM

I'm sure most people want the best performance possible as you say. The problem is that it depends on what you're doing as far as which setting will give you that.

It could be that the 1.5x RAM size minimum will work for you just fine. That'd be 768MB by the way, not 756MB. If on the other hand, you run out of virtual space while running multiple memory-intensive applications, increasing at least the upper limit would be called for. And for slightly better performance, to prevent having to dynamically increase the pagefile size in the middle of running multiple memory-intensive applications, moving the starting size up to that larger upper limit can also help. Having "too much" starting size really only hurts by cutting into the drive's total capacity. Having too little upper limit can hurt as I described above, by simply running out of virtual space. The other flexibility is how you divide that pagefile size among your system's hard drives, as described in the excerpt that Enthusiast posted.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 10:21 AM

Each system is different - so it needs some experimentation for it to work best for you.

The 1Ĺ times the size of the RAM is an estimate based on the average pagefile use that's expected with Windows programs.

You've set it to a static size - so Windows won't take any resources to help manage it (a good thing).

Now, you can use Task Manager to monitor the use of your memory and the pagefile to see if it's being used optimally.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users