Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old graphics card and unreadble text in 64bit browsers...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Onemorerun

Onemorerun

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

I'm running a 64bit Windows 7 operating system, 8gigs of RAM, and an AMD for a processor. I have an older video card. It is old, but it works well with the tasks I do. It is linked below and the drivers are as updated as what appears on the company website.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121407

At the beginning of the year, I did a fresh install of my computer. I noticed on Chrome that at times (50% of the time) the text would be unreadble (see attached screenshot). If I closed and opened Chrome up a couple times it would fix it and stay fixed for that window session. I read numerous articles about Chrome and fuzzy text, but none of them fixed my issue. Also, my text wasn't just fuzzy and jagged, but unreadable.

This ONLY happened with Chrome and Firefox was fine so I use it the most.

Yesterday I realized that I was running the the 32bit version of Firefox. It is what is automatically installed when I go to their website. I figured I would go to their manual install page and download the 64bit version. When I did this Firefox got the unreadable text issue as well! I returned to the 32bit version which fixed it. I then uninstalled the 64bit version of chrome and installed the 32bit version. No more fuzzy text! Although, sometimes there is a weird black block in the address bar.

So, I am wondering if my old graphics card can't handle Windows Cleartype with 64bit applications? I've turned off cleartype when I have the 64bit apps installed and it is readable, but all text just looks horrible. Besides this problem, my graphics card works well for me and I sort of have a waste not want not attitude towards it. However, maybe it is time for a new one...........

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:24 PM

If...it was a graphics card issue...I would expect it to be applicable to anything onscreen, not just browser screens.

Louis

#3 Onemorerun

Onemorerun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

Ah. Ok. So, an older graphics card may not be have issue with 64 bit apps? Just strange that text is fine in 32bit versions, but in 64 bit versions I get the unreadable text.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:31 PM

If by "apps" you mean the browser...I don't follow your line of thought.

The graphics drivers are the key interface to obtain onscreen view.  Those drivers are keyed to the O/S installed, 32-bit Windows takes 32-bit drivers, 64-bit Windows takes 64-bit drivers.

If I had a problem viewing anything in a browser windows but had no problem viewing anything other than browser information...I'd uninstall/reinstall my browser.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 June 2017 - 03:41 PM.

#5 Onemorerun

Onemorerun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:32 PM

Thanks. For the last couple hours I have been messing around with my ATI catalyst control center for my graphics card. Maybe I am on to something. It may explain why text is being handled different in different applications and 32bit and 64bit versions of chrome and firefox.

Ill try and fiddle more and let you know. Thanks for your attentiveness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users