Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can nearby outsiders use their wifi to see what I am seeing on my monitor?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Tomfromillinois

Tomfromillinois

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:06 AM

I've recently dis-enabled my own Wifi  so I don't have to worry about my own wifi being used by others outside the house against me.  (My concern is not people using my wifi because they don't have their own.)  But I am wondering if nearby houses with wifi which overlaps my own could use their wifi to somehow see what I see on my computer monitor.

What I'd like to do if it is possible is to somehow make my computer or my router completely unable to process wifi regardless of where it comes from. If possible, this would seem an un-passable and simple barrier to outsiders who use wifi to gain access to others computers. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:13 AM

If you have already disabled the wi fi from your router, then the simple answer is "no." Also, if you have already disabled your wi fi, then that also covers the sensond part of your question which in part reads;

"What I'd like to do if it is possible is to somehow make my computer or my router completely unable to process wifi regardless of where it comes from." Isn't that what disabling wi fi does, disable it?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:29 AM

I don't quite understand what you want to do, but if you want to be 100% sure that other people can't access your computer remotely via Wi-Fi, just break your Wi-Fi card and use an Ethernet cable for Internet connectivity to this computer instead. All this is going to insure is that no-one hacks your PC via Wi-Fi though. It's not like there isn't a plethora of other methods do it. I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. No networked computer is hack proof.:)

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:57 PM

Wifi can be safe to enable and use, when configured correctly.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409751,00.asp

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 02:26 PM

I don't quite understand what you want to do, but if you want to be 100% sure that other people can't access your computer remotely via Wi-Fi, just break your Wi-Fi card and use an Ethernet cable for Internet connectivity to this computer instead. All this is going to insure is that no-one hacks your PC via Wi-Fi though. It's not like there isn't a plethora of other methods do it. I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. No networked computer is hack proof. :)

I agree with this 100%. If you want to be secure, just disconnect your computer from the internet.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,914 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

Also, since when can WiFi (or any network, for that matter) be used to view some random person's monitor?

It's not that I doubt that such software exists, somewhere, but it certainly wouldn't be common.  And I don't count remote assistance software because all of that goes to great lengths to ensure that each end of that equation know that a monitor view and control of the mouse is being shared.

Of all the sorts of attacks out there viewing someone else's monitor is not high on the list of things to dig in to.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#7 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:44 PM

I agree with this 100%. If you want to be secure, just disconnect your computer from the internet.

That why the CIA has Vault 7: CIA Has Malware for Hacking Air-Gapped Networks via USB Thumb Drives. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/vault-7-cia-has-malware-for-hacking-air-gapped-networks-via-usb-thumb-drives/

Also, since when can WiFi (or any network, for that matter) be used to view some random person's monitor?

It's not that I doubt that such software exists, somewhere, but it certainly wouldn't be common. And I don't count remote assistance software because all of that goes to great lengths to ensure that each end of that equation know that a monitor view and control of the mouse is being shared.

Of all the sorts of attacks out there viewing someone else's monitor is not high on the list of things to dig in to.

Watch this, hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gRWlmxom7I

Edited by Crazy Cat, 23 June 2017 - 04:44 PM.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,914 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 04:57 PM

Sorry, Crazy Cat, but that video looks like something from your friendly neighborhood conspiracy theorist.  I don't consider the source credible in any way.

I don't doubt that there are ways to eavesdrop on people in very thorough ways.   I doubt, very much, that the vast majority of us out there would be targets in the first place or that our neighbors possess the technology to do so nor have any reasonably easy way to acquire it.

When it comes to protecting against the probable, it is very simple to follow some simple steps to secure and harden your system, and they've been discussed on BC at length.  When it comes to the remotely possible, but utterly improbable, I have better things to consume my mental energy.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#9 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 05:10 PM

I'm not sayin' it's aliens...but it's aliens.

#10 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 06:22 PM

That why the CIA has Vault 7: CIA Has Malware for Hacking Air-Gapped Networks via USB Thumb Drives. https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/vault-7-cia-has-malware-for-hacking-air-gapped-networks-via-usb-thumb-drives

When it comes to protecting against the probable, it is very simple to follow some simple steps to secure and harden your system, and they've been discussed on BC at length.  When it comes to the remotely possible, but utterly improbable, I have better things to consume my mental energy.

I think that when you do in fact want to make some sort of a network, an air-gapped off-the-grid computer network is as safe as it could get literally-technically speaking. At this point your only priority becomes controlling the flow of people that have access to the network. And also other obscure things such as making the building in which the computers are located in bomb-proof, etc. (...just in case) :lmao:

Apart from that, the only other, the safest, way of storing info, that I could imagine. would be the classic 'store it in your mind' technique, at which point information can only leak through extortion, torture or corruption.

All in all, if you want to have any sort of a network in life, be it technical, Internet, personal, etc., some sort of trust should be had between the parties involved and you're still not guaranteed that someone isn't going to mumble important info in his sleep that could be overheard. :lmao:

#11 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:53 PM

(1) Sorry, Crazy Cat, but that video looks like something from your friendly neighborhood conspiracy theorist. I don't consider the source credible in any way.

(2) I don't doubt that there are ways to eavesdrop on people in very thorough ways. I doubt, very much, that the vast majority of us out there would be targets in the first place or that our neighbors possess the technology to do so nor have any reasonably easy way to acquire it.

(3) When it comes to protecting against the probable, it is very simple to follow some simple steps to secure and harden your system, and they've been discussed on BC at length. When it comes to the remotely possible, but utterly improbable, I have better things to consume my mental energy.

(1) I can assure you it's credible.

https://www.nsa.gov/news-features/declassified-documents/cryptologic-spectrum/assets/files/tempest.pdf
https://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/privacy/introduction-tempest-981

(2) Since you "don't doubt" then I can assure you again, I CAN and have the EQUIPMENT.

https://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/privacy/introduction-tempest-981

(3) Since you can't provide any mathematical probability and only hypothetical rhetoric, I won't waste my mental energy either.

Put on your tinfoil hat and wait for the anal probe.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#12 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:57 PM

Put on your tinfoil hat and wait for the anal probe.

No future for you in comedy...so don't give up your fast food job.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,914 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:10 PM

CrazyCat,

I don't doubt that you might have the equipment and skill to use it.  That's irrelevant.

Any well-informed person knows that the vast majority of folks out there don't.  If an outfit like the NSA, CIA, or similar wanted to spy on me there is virtually nothing that I could do to prevent it.

Again, when concerning oneself with security measures it makes infinitely more sense to try to prevent the probable than to go to extremes to prevent something that is not even remotely possible under typical conditions.  If you feel otherwise, have at it.  Since I've been following my expressed philosophy for over 3 decades now with no ill results I'll stick with it, thanks.

~ Mark Twain

#14 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 24 June 2017 - 03:11 AM

Let's face some facts :

1) Unless you are so important of a person or have very high level info worth so much money ; your neighbours or any potential spiers won't do so.

2) Not everyone has such advanced equipment/software.

3) If the actual high end people want to do anything about seeing what you are doing, you cannot escape with low, medium, high end encryption tools. 

4) If some data is stored electronically it is in no way safe and secure. What all companies say is just for getting money from you.

5) They can use some cheap cameras or spy camera type of things to see what you are doing on your monitor, is, what is actually practical and can be happening around you.

#15 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2017 - 06:31 AM

I have to agree with the rest of the posters in saying that generally speaking, it is almost impossible for anyone to see the same thing that you are seeing on your screen. Of course, just like everyone else said, if you are important enough of a target in the eyes of the Government, then nothing is totally impossible. So you can feel free to re-enable your wi fi, that has no effect what so ever on this level of reality that we currently live in.

If indeed you are a very high level target of the Government, then there are better forums to get advice on, but your wi fi still has no effect.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users